Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ExpressVu 6141 plus External HDD = Instant PVR

93K views 232 replies 83 participants last post by  hugh 
#1 · (Edited)
The ExpressVu 6141 is being introduced tomorrow by Bell.

For details about it, see the dedicated thread.

In this thread, I wanted to highlight that the ExpressVu 6141 will have USB 2.0 capability so you can add a hard drive and it becomes an HD PVR. Expected time frame for this capability is this year

The $299 unit comes with a PVR remote and has a nine day electronic program guide.

#61 ·
Talked to a senior tech today, apparently from the sounds of it Bell will be issuing a specific drive for the 6141. No date but doesn't sound like any time in the immediate future as they just did a firmware upgrade for the 6141 in June and wern't sure when the next one was going to go. They said that they'll be notifying those with the 6141 of the upgrade either by bill or on one of the hardware channels. Imagine nothing will happen until well after the card swap is done.

#62 ·
The information below is taken from a dealer memo...

Please be advised that effective July 23, 2008, the long awaited and anticipated external hard drive for the 6141 and 9242 will be available for ordering...

The 750 GB HDD adds approximately 750 hours of SD (standard definition) or 100 hours of HD (high definition) recording to the 9242 HD PVR.

SRP $199

It must be USB 2.0
USB 1.1 will not work.
The size of the drive must be between 40 GB and 750 GB.
In general, major brand-name external USB HDD (hard disk drive) are compatible.
Do-it-yourself external HDD kits may not be compatible.
It must be a single disk device
External Hard Disk Drives which combine two hard drives (ie 2x500GB = 1TB) are not compatible with the service.
The drive must be powered by an AC adapter.
Portable drives that run on the power of the USB connection will not function properly.

#64 ·
Now that this memo has been posted, I will say that several weeks ago, I was told end of July or Early August for a firmware update to the 9242 but nothing was said of the 6141 firmware.

#68 ·
The dealer memo AFF posted is confusing. IIRC, the original info. about the external HDD was that it was going to be proprietary hardware that you'd have to buy from BEV (and I note the reference to the $199 price). However, the rest of the memo seems to suggest you'll be able to use a variety of USB 2.0 HDDs, although BEV won't be guaranteeing functionality, for obvious reasons.

Does this mean you'll be able to record to a external HDD and then playback through another player or edit the recordings on a HTPC?

#71 ·
supergenius, for someone so smart, I wonder sometimes. Read what was posted, it was a dealer memo. Because a dealer can begin ordering today does not mean they have it and can start selling to consumers.

#77 ·
With the 9242 not being able to record directly to the external HDD (archiving only) how will the 6141 work? Will they soon enable direct-to-external recording for both boxes?

Both use USB 2.0 right?

#78 ·
Pulled the trigger on that one.

We've fulfilled our contractual obligation to Bell for our 9200 and they've upgraded us to the 9242 gratis......kinda.

Even though I could connect and set up the 9242, if not with my eyes closed then through squinted lids, I have to pay a $75 install fee to comply with "warranty requirements." :rolleyes:

Looking forward to expanded capabilities on our new PVR.

MT

#81 ·
From what I understand the 6141 Firmware should have been out by now.

I suspect the miserable failure of the EHD launch with the 9242 has now delayed the 6141 update.

#82 ·
Not going to happen

I contacted Expressvu regarding WHEN for the 6141. Here is the response :mad:

Thank you for your email inquiry dated 10/13/08. My name is Santanu XXXXXXXX EX3XXXX and I am pleased to assist you.

I understand that you would like to know about the capability to support the external hard drive with your 6141 HD receiver. I will definitely assist you in this regard.

I would like to inform you that you would not be able to add an external hard drive with your 6141 HD receiver. It can only be added with the
9242 HD PVR. I would also like to provide you the detail about the External Hard Drive.

#84 ·
I would like to inform you that you would not be able to add an external hard drive with your 6141 HD receiver. It can only be added with the
9242 HD PVR. I would also like to provide you the detail about the External Hard Drive.
This is correct. You can't make the 6141 a PVR today. It doesn't say anything about what's coming, nor do the CSR's have any idea what's coming.

-Mike

#85 ·
However, was the impression when this unit arrived not that this would eventually be able to be used as a PVR. If there is nothing forthcoming, then would that not be "false advertizing"?

BTW, the external HDD doesn't work properly with the 92XX either as discussed elsewhere in this forum.

#89 ·
As Pinza said, as long as they offer "something" in the future then there is no recourse. Unfortunately, they could even get away with saying that only a specific HDD model will be supported (one that is not generally available) or some old crappy 10MB drive, as long as "something" is offered at some future date.

Buyer beware - never buy a product based on future protential and/or promises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.