Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ExpressVu 6141 plus External HDD = Instant PVR

93K views 232 replies 83 participants last post by  hugh 
#1 · (Edited)
The ExpressVu 6141 is being introduced tomorrow by Bell.

For details about it, see the dedicated thread.

In this thread, I wanted to highlight that the ExpressVu 6141 will have USB 2.0 capability so you can add a hard drive and it becomes an HD PVR. Expected time frame for this capability is this year

The $299 unit comes with a PVR remote and has a nine day electronic program guide.

#31 ·
Is USB fast enough for HD ?

Although the 6141 with external HDD sounds exactly like what I will be looking for, is USB 2.0 fast enough to record HD on the fly? The external computer USB drives I have are definitely not as fast as the internal drive for moving information back and forth. If I am not mistaken, the Archos units record in Divx format which take a lot less space. Will a normal external drive be able to keep up?

#40 ·
Will a normal external drive be able to keep up?
USB is fast enough to record 1 HD program and Playback 1 HD program in mpeg 2.
More in Mpeg 4, and a whole lot more in SD.
On the othe hand, my 9242 internal drive can Record 3 HD programs and Playback another HD. I do it regularly. Aparently it can output to TV 2 SD at the same time, but i've never used TV2 output.

#32 ·
I'm not geting the instant part?
When the firmware is enabled, you'll be able to take an External USB 2.0 Hard Drive and plug it into the 6141's USB port.

The Firmware will recognize the drive and you will immediately be able to record programs via the 6141 to your external drive.

The 6141 will ship with the same remote as the 9242 so you won't need to buy a new remote once the PVR functionality is enabled.

#34 ·
HTfun, you are correct because it only has one tuner. If you want two tuners, you will need to get the 9242 which has two tuners and a built-in hard drive.

#35 ·
is USB 2.0 fast enough to record HD on the fly?
The USB 2.0 transfer rates are significantly higher than what is required.

#42 ·
Nice receiver

Just got my 6141 installed, nice form factor and gui...

Called expressvu customer service to inquire about external HDD connection, I was told they are working hard at activating the feature and it should be available within 15 to 20 days!

Hope that's true!

Will report back :)

#46 ·
Has anyone heard if two 6141s can share a hd (once it is functional)?
no its not been disclosed but Bell confirmed to me that you could swap external hard drives suggesting that it can be done. Of course, that is my speculation

#47 ·
15 off topic posts deleted.

This thread is about the Future Functionality of hooking an External HDD to the 6141.

Please sticke to the topic at hand.

#49 ·
Read the posts....

I have read all these posts and if the 6141 does indeed get a HDD add on it will be a nice piece of equipment. No other provider will come close to have this kind of equipment. I hope it does happen soon but also well aware of Bell`s slow moving style and quality of service....etc. but still will try to be positive.!!!

#50 ·
Earlier in this thread it was stated that the 6141 is a State Of The Art receiver, I fully agree that it will be, it will indeed be fantastic to have the added feature of the External Drive, it has the HDMI & "S" Video outputs, what could have been done to make it even better.? Well what about an UHF remote..... I could very well be wrong but from what I have seen, it is only IR.

One point away for this move but plus several hundred for all the advances

#51 ·
convolution

May be a bit off topic, but I have a 250 GB firewire drive, no USB. I checked online and it doesn't seem that a USB to Firewire adaptor exists, but if anyone knows of one, let me know, thanks.
Despite this, I have a laptop that has both USB 2 and firewire and 2 internal drives. If I hook up the 6141 to my laptop via USB, will it record to it?
I would think so, just wondering since it's an internal drive on a computer and if the firewall or other freakish Vista things might prevent it from reading the drive.
Anyway, I'm thinking that then I could dump the recorded shows onto my firewire drive, however there may be other problems there too.
Anyone with any idea on this, please reply.
Thanks

#54 ·
Lots of posts deleted.

As per the rules of the forum, if someone has problem with another member, then report the bad post and the moderators will be happy to deal with it.

Engaging in a flame war with another member simply results in all participants being issued an infraction.

#55 ·
Does anyone know the minimum size required for the box to reconize the uSB drive, and what the procedure is (do you need to power cycle it, etc?)

I don't have a USB HDD right now but will get one if the firmware is out. I tried it out quickly using a USB thumb drive but did not see any functionality changes or options available, but was thinking maybe it is too small to trigger the functionality?

#58 ·
No, the talk os for 6141 and 9242 only, not 6100 or 9200. Lets hope this is an oversight, but I fear it is deliberate. It may be Mpeg4 related but I'd just be guessing.

brunes - I agree with haystack. Until it is enabled (which it isn't at the moment), don't waste time buying a drive in advance unless you need it for other purposes. You never know what the HDD requirements will be and prices will simply continue to fall in the meantime. Just be patient.

#60 ·
What do you want to know?

As noted in post #1, the firmware update is expected later this year to add external drive capability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.