Need advise on hd receiver - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-12-17, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Question Need advise on hd receiver

I'm thinking of getting the 6100 receiver. It is worth it and is it going to last. I hear that the signal compression method will change soon from bell and this receiver will not work anymore. Any truth to this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-12-17, 08:48 PM
Veteran

The 6100 is a MPEG 2 receiver. In 2009 Express Vu will use the MPEG 4 tehnology.

I answer based on what I learned when I was working at BEV...it's possible that somethings have changed since then
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-12-17, 09:10 PM

How much will it cost you ?
Keep in mind, as AEV said, Bell will be going to MPEG 4 for HD in the future, but the box will still get standard programming, but you will have to buy ANOTHER hd box to get hd channels...
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-12-17, 09:19 PM

I just picked up my second 6100 from Future Shop on the weekend for $120.
Refurbished unit for my second HD TV. If you currently don't have HD receiver but do have HD TV I would recommend that you get one. The signal will change in 2009 but you can enjoy HDTV for at least two years. Depending what you have now you may be able to get a promo from Bell where they would credit you for receiver rental ($10/month). Do your home work and make your decision based on that. There are a lot of members here who can help you if you ask.
Good luck.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-12-17, 09:51 PM
Veteran

f you want something that would last it would be better to buy one of the 9241...those are MPEG 4, could record, something that the 6100 can't and it's dual tuner so you ill be able to use it for 2TV's , one HD and one SD

Of course the 9241 is mre expensive, but overall I think for all it does it's worth the cost

I answer based on what I learned when I was working at BEV...it's possible that somethings have changed since then
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-12-17, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the reply.
I could get it for 200.00. I initially thought the price to be pretty good but wow Milo at 120.00 that's excellent. I already have the 9200. but I am looking for a second hd recever for my second hd tv.
At 120.00 for 2 years might be worth it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-12-19, 07:02 PM

Yes $200 is way too much.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.