9200 + 2700 + SW44 Problem - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-10-25, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

9200 + 2700 + SW44 Problem

I started with an old 2700 receiver which works fine. I then bought the new 9200 which came with the SW44. I hooked the SW44 up correctly and plugged in the 9200 which works great. I get OK on 82/91 on both Input 1 and Input 2. Now I go to plug in the coax that connects to the 2700 and I get no signal on that receiver. Now if I take one of the 91 coax's connected to the satellite and connect it directly to the 2700...boom I get perfect signal...but as soon as I plug it back into the SW44...nothing. Anybody have any ideas???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-10-25, 07:41 PM

try running a check switch on the 2700

Am I getting new Sony?
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-10-25, 07:43 PM

Could you have a dead output on the switch.?
Could you have a bad piece of cable from Sw44 to 2700.?
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-10-25, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

I have run 3 check switches with no luck. I think it is weird that it works perfectly fine if I run 91 directly into the 2700, but as soon as I try running it through the switch...dead
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-10-25, 08:51 PM

Did you try a different port on the switch?
Or even better, bring it to the tv that the 9200 is on, and try one of those lines
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-10-25, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimiq 1 View Post
Could you have a dead output on the switch.?
Could you have a bad piece of cable from Sw44 to 2700.?
I think I tried it in a couple of different outputs in the switch...but maybe I didn't so I will try that. It can't be the cable because when I take the cable going to the 2700 off the switch and connect it directly to 91 on the satellite dish, the 2700 works perfectly. I wonder if I got a splitter, ran 91 from the dish into the splitter, then run one cable from the output of the splitter into the switch and the other output from the splitter directly into the 2700. Basically bypassing the switch for the 2700.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-10-25, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by i hate tv View Post
Did you try a different port on the switch?
Or even better, bring it to the tv that the 9200 is on, and try one of those lines
I will try that and let you guys know if it works. Thanks for everyones input so far!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-10-25, 09:02 PM

You can NOT use splitters.

If you are only hooking up a 9200 & 2700, you will have a spare port anyway.

I take it that you do not change the line with the Power Inserter on it....?????
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-10-25, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimiq 1 View Post
You can NOT use splitters.

If you are only hooking up a 9200 & 2700, you will have a spare port anyway.

I take it that you do not change the line with the Power Inserter on it....?????
I have not moved any of the lines around, I will try that. Sucks that my splitter thing won't work. :-(
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-10-25, 09:14 PM

You can't use normal splitters like you do with cable tv. Satellite receivers send a voltage signal to the LNB and putting a normal cable tv splitter between the LNB and the switch and/or receiver will confuse it.

I would strongly recommend that you take the 2700 receiver and try it on one of the lines going into the 9200 as suggested by i hate tv. Run a check switch when connected to this line.

If this works, then your problem is somewhere between the SW44 and the 2700 receiver. #1 suspect would be cabling, #2 suspect would be the SW44 itself. Also, make sure that you are using all legacy equipment (LNB's & SW44) as the 2700 receiver is not compatible with DP or DPP equipment.

I have a complicated set-up myself, running high frequency splitters (for satellite use), two SW44's, and a 9200, 5200, 4700 and a 2700 receiver. Everything works great. I did have one bad output on a SW44 myself, but the other three outputs worked fine.

Hope this helps.

Kevin
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-10-25, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandkt View Post
You can't use normal splitters like you do with cable tv. Satellite receivers send a voltage signal to the LNB and putting a normal cable tv splitter between the LNB and the switch and/or receiver will confuse it.

I would strongly recommend that you take the 2700 receiver and try it on one of the lines going into the 9200 as suggested by i hate tv. Run a check switch when connected to this line.

If this works, then your problem is somewhere between the SW44 and the 2700 receiver. #1 suspect would be cabling, #2 suspect would be the SW44 itself. Also, make sure that you are using all legacy equipment (LNB's & SW44) as the 2700 receiver is not compatible with DP or DPP equipment.

I have a complicated set-up myself, running high frequency splitters (for satellite use), two SW44's, and a 9200, 5200, 4700 and a 2700 receiver. Everything works great. I did have one bad output on a SW44 myself, but the other three outputs worked fine.

Hope this helps.

Kevin
Thanks for all the detailed suggestions Kevin. I will try moving things around. If that doesn't work, can I use a high frequency splitter?
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-10-25, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the detailed suggestions Kevin. I will try moving things around. If that doesn't work, can I use a high frequency splitter?
I have never tried using a high frequency splitter and feeding one side to a SW44 and the other directly to a receiver. Nimiq1 may be able to shed some light on this???
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-10-25, 09:42 PM

Here is a link to some info on the high frequency splitters that I used:

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=SP2HFA
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-10-25, 09:52 PM

The issue when using a splitter is simple;

Receiver "A" requests an Even Number channel, sends 18 volts to LNBF via switch. OK
Receiver "B" requests an Odd Number channel, sends 13 volts to LNBF, however as there is already 18 volts on the line it will never get the OK.

You cannot have two different voltages on a single Coaxial line.

The caveat for all Satellite installation is that you cannot use splitters. There are exceptions but they are few and far between.

kandt, that link is very misleading, it says it is All Port Passive, yet the image on the splitter shows it as 1 leg Power Passing...??
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 2007-10-25, 11:29 PM

The set-up that I have is as follows:

4 lines coming from the LNB's into my house, they feed the 4 high frequency splitters. From each splitter, a line goes to the same input on each SW44, basically giving me 8 outputs instead of 4. I followed the diagram with the instruction leaflet that comes with the SW44. I don't know if it is high switching frequency that allows the switching between the two switches or how it works, but it does. Have had this set-up since I picked up my 9200 receiver in July 2005.

The one issue I had when looking for these splitters was whether or not to get the "one port power pass" or "all port power pass" model. Nobody seemed to be able to answer the question until I went to a satellite specialty store. They indicated to me that you can use either, but if you use the "one port power pass" model, you have to ensure that each line is connected to the same input on each SW44. I did this anyway.

That being said, I have no idea if you can just use one SW44 and feed the other input directly into a receiver with this type of splitter. I think you (Nimiq 1) are probably more of an expert at this than I am. Might be worth trying?!?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.