BEV 9242 HD-PVR (New in late October, 2007) - Page 26 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #376 of 437 (permalink) Old 2008-01-15, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm_cheng View Post
The second HD receiver for the Bedroom sounds good since I already have a Coax running up there. However, can the 9242 deliver the recorded material via that same Coax up to the 3rd floor? The bell person told me that what I record for TV1 is NOT transferable to TV2 - but are you saying that I can record in HD and watch it either with TV1 in HD or TV2 in SD and have the bedroom control the box in the basement (so I can delete the programming after I watch it without going down to the basement to do it?) Is that right? That is correct

When I get my HDTV in the Bedroom however, I won't be able to view the recorded material in HD this way still only SD - unless I run the components all the way up right? Yes correct againIs there some length that I cannot run HD signal through components or hdmi whereby the signal degrades too much? I see 100ft cables at Monoprice, will they work?I guess if they sell them they must work

When installing the HD receiver in the bedroom just ensure you get 2 Diplexers, this will allow you to have your HD receiver show HD on the second TV and get all your recordings in SD from the 9242.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #377 of 437 (permalink) Old 2008-01-16, 02:29 AM

I have a quick question. I just signed up for bell with the 6100, I found I was so used to a pvr that I went and got a 9242 tonight but haven't hooked it up. I was reading on another site about it and someone posted that only 1 of the 2 tuners in the reciever would record a HD signal in HD. Is that right? I tried to read up on it in posts here and seem to only find that it can record 2 shows while you watch another.

Anyway's If it only records in HD on one of the tuner's I may just take it back and wait for the USB on the 6142 to become active.
post #378 of 437 (permalink) Old 2008-01-16, 08:30 AM

Not true - the 9242 (and the 9200) can record two HD programs at a time. If you hook up the antenna and are in an area that is lucky enough to receive digital TV over the air, you can actually be recording 3 programs (any mix of HD/SD) at a time since the OTA tuner is independent of the satellite tuners.

I've used that feature on occasion in Ottawa to watch CBC-HD over the air while the 9200 recorded two HD programs.
post #379 of 437 (permalink) Old 2008-01-16, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimiq 1 View Post
When installing the HD receiver in the bedroom just ensure you get 2 Diplexers, this will allow you to have your HD receiver show HD on the second TV and get all your recordings in SD from the 9242.
Thanks Nimiq 1 - I think I'll take the plunge as soon as the writers strike ends and there's some TV to watch again. It looks as though I won't need the second HD receiver until I get a HDTV in the bedroom (which looks like next year). This Diplexer, is it something they install when they initially come to setup my dish, or is it something I get later when I the 2nd HD receiver? Do they also come and install the 2nd receiver, or is this something I do myself? (if I do it myself, do I just get a "Diplexer" from the bell store?).

Just to clarify, I can record something ONCE on TV1 in HD and be able to watch it in either HD or SD on either TV1 or TV2 output and then delete the watched program from either remotes? (as long as I'm within RF range of the remotes?) Any specs of the RF range of the remotes (I assume both remotes are RF and TV2 remote can control whats been recorded with the TV1 remote downstairs?)

Thanks.

Panasonic PT-AE2000U|Elite Cinetension2 100"|Yamaha RX-V3900|PS3|Paradigm Monitor 7|Bose AM-10s|Polk PSW350

Last edited by wm_cheng; 2008-01-16 at 10:30 AM.
post #380 of 437 (permalink) Old 2008-01-16, 10:40 AM
Veteran

The two tuners can both record HD, but TV2 out is SD only. If you don't need to watch different programming on both televisions at the same time, you can connect two HD televisions to the TV1 out using both the HDMI and component outputs.

-Mike

Pioneer PRO-110FD | Pioneer VSX-92TXH | BELL 9242 | Panasonic DMP-BD35 | XBOX 360 |WD TV Live Hub
post #381 of 437 (permalink) Old 2008-01-16, 12:02 PM

Okay, good now I feel better about the purchase, I just have to run the extra line to the sat, I don't want to start off with errors for this new receiver.
post #382 of 437 (permalink) Old 2008-01-16, 12:44 PM
Rookie

problems still with the remote control

Hello guys:

I'm still having problems getting the BEV 9242 remote to recognize my Sony DVD/home theatre unit. I tried under the VCR button - used all the codes listed in the book for Sony DVD, and also tried to let it scan and find it's own code with no results. It just doesn't recognize the unit. Any suggestions? I want to be able to control the volume with the BEV remote.
Thank you
Denise
post #383 of 437 (permalink) Old 2008-01-16, 12:59 PM

Exclamation 9242 at 400$... ??

Hi,

i just saw on bell's web site that the 9242 receiver was at 599$ - 200$ -25$...

Only for new consumer... Of course...

Do you think that i can have the receiver at that price if i am already a consumer ? I'm not under a contract.

I tried to call them but they don't wan't to give me te promotion... I was just wondering if some of you could have a "trick" to make them sell me one a that price ?
post #384 of 437 (permalink) Old 2008-01-16, 01:07 PM

9200 or 9242 ?

I'm just in the process of getting HD and was wondering what receiver to buy the 9200 or the 9242?

I've heard that people are having trouble with the 9242 or is that just bull?

How long will I be able to use the 9200 before having to change over to the 9242 for m-peg4 or will Bell have a fix or update for the 9200 for this?

BTW great source of info here!
post #385 of 437 (permalink) Old 2008-01-16, 01:31 PM
art
Rookie

Additional UHF remote address?

I have purchased a second-hand UHF pro remote for my 9242, to use in another room (two TV2s on the same line, in different rooms). The remote doesn't seem to do anything (lights up but no control). I was told to make sure that the remote 'address' on the receiver has to be the same as the 'address' on this remote. How do I find out what the receiver's remote 'address' is? The UHF remote that came with the receiver works, of course, but I don't know what 'address' it is set at.
post #386 of 437 (permalink) Old 2008-01-16, 01:34 PM
art
Rookie

Hey Cyberphil,

I phoned Expressvu with the same question and the deal I got was $180 worth of free programming during the next 6 months. Not quite the same, but better than nothing.
post #387 of 437 (permalink) Old 2008-01-16, 01:43 PM
Veteran

Westvu, unless you can find a really good deal on a 9200, I would definitely suggest you purchase the 9242. It will be more expandable and it's MPEG4 capable when that's needed.

-Mike

Pioneer PRO-110FD | Pioneer VSX-92TXH | BELL 9242 | Panasonic DMP-BD35 | XBOX 360 |WD TV Live Hub
post #388 of 437 (permalink) Old 2008-01-16, 01:45 PM
Veteran

rockhollow, if you've tried all the codes in the remote, you're out of luck I'm afraid. I used to have a sony DVD player the remote didn't recognize as well. Your only options are separate remotes, or a programmable remote like the Logitech line. That would control all your devices.

-Mike

post #389 of 437 (permalink) Old 2008-01-16, 01:50 PM
Veteran

art, you have to address the remote control so that it matches the one you have. Your manual documents how to change the RF remote id. Follow that to match the id of your existing remote. You can find that in the System info Menu option.

-Mike

post #390 of 437 (permalink) Old 2008-01-16, 02:14 PM
art
Rookie

Thanks Mike (scrooloose). I'll check the system info menu tonight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.