Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Bell TV 6141 Discussion thread

241K views 600 replies 161 participants last post by  Smokin Joe 
#1 · (Edited)
This discussion thread is for owners to discuss the new ExpressVu 6141 HD Receiver when it becomes available.

Any posts discussing when it will be available or from NON-owners will be deleted and the poster will receive an infraction.

Once again, this thread is for OWNERS only.

For non-owners who would like to learn more about the ExpressVu 6141 you can discuss it PVR here.

#148 ·
I believe the function where the output volume from the receiver could be lowered or raised, was dropped many years ago. I know the 2700, 4700 had it but do not recall it on a receiver after those models.

#150 ·
Hey has anyone else noticed that since the 9242 external hard drive is only for archiving, not direct recording, this could be bad news for the 6141? Why do they not allow "on the fly" recording to the 9242's external HD? Is it a technical limitation? Will the 6242 have the same problem? Or is it just normal bell stupidity?

#153 ·
ExpressVu 6141 drops satellite connection

I'm new to this so please kick me out if so warranted and advise what I should do.

My 6141 frequently dropped connection even though my signal strength is around 92. After a number of the usual routines of resetting the unit and checking the switches they sent me a new one. It worked fine for a while, but now I have the weirdest problem. My 6141 again drops the HD signal. I also have a 4100 hooked up elsewhere in the house. Trying to see whether the dropout is limited to the 6141 only I switched on the 4100. It worked fine. Than my wife called to me that the 6141 was on again. I thought it a simple coincidence. Since however I have discovered that indeed my 6141 acquires the signal back when I switch on the 4100.

I know I should call Bell, but I'll just get the standard routine again, so can anyone help?

#156 ·
I agree with dosborne, sounds like a cable problem.

I have seen this happen when there are 2 receivers feeding from 1 Coax via a Splitter, or a splitter in a line with Cable signals running down it.

I would try to visually follow BOTH cables from the Dish to each receiver, ensuring NO splitters etc.

#157 ·
No, there are no splitters and each receiver has its own coax.

The 6141 cable runs under a metal roof.
The 4100 cable is led through the vinyl J-Channel covering the top of our steel siding. As we live in the woods and have lots of critters about, could it be a grounding problem? But then, why is the problem intermittent, and we have excellent reception for 90% of the time. I know when it is happening as the screen starts blocking and after doing that it conks out. Sometimes the signal comes back by itself. At other times I start up the 4100 and it comes back.
Some further info: the 6141 is hooked up to the coax formerly connected to the 4100. There was no problem with the 4100 dropping signal.
The relocation of the 4100 needed a new coax. This config also has no problem.

#158 ·
It could be a grounding issue or some kind of power coming back from the 4100, I have seen these things melt down, so it's possible. Also I do not think the 4100 has a Ground on its plug.

The critters could have chewed into the sheathing of the coax and it is getting some kind of voltage from the metal roof or somewhere else.

I would start with grounding the cables coming into the house, see if taht makes a difference, or beter yet replace the 2 coax's if that is an easy option, then you know it is not a cable problem.

#159 ·
Replacing the coax would be rather troublesome and I'd like to explore all other avenues before doing it.
Earlier splitters came up. I said there are no splitters in the cabling, but there are two splitters attached to the back of the dish.
Four connections come out of the head to the two splitters with a single coax coming from each splitter. Connections are tight. I think I could experiment a little by disconnecting the feeds one by one. This will take some time though as I never know exactly when the problem will happen.
I'll be back to report the outcome. Thanks.

#160 ·
The small Silver pieces at there rear of the Dish are SW21's, they are used to combine signals from each LNBF into one feed to the receivers.

It is entirely possible, these could be failing but it is the fact that your problems seem to come and go with the 4100 being turned on that makes me think of a hydro problem, getting onto the coax shielding.

I would try the grounding first if I were you. Or try to use a volt meter between the shielding of the cable and ground, see if there is voltage prestent.

#161 ·
6141 Auto Shutoff

I have had my 6141 for 2 weeks now and I love it.
However, there is one thing that bugs me.
My old 2700 was on continuously 24/7 for 9 years. That was helpful if I needed to tape a movie at 4:00am.
But the 6141 seems to shut itself off at 3:00 am for System Upgrades.
I call BEV to ask if this feature could be disabled and she said the 6141 doesn't have that feature even tho it is in the System Setup Menu.

Does anyone know how to keep this receiver on 24/7?

Thanks.

#163 ·
I have had my 6141 for 2 weeks now and I love it.
However, there is one thing that bugs me.
My old 2700 was on continuously 24/7 for 9 years. That was helpful if I needed to tape a movie at 4:00am.
But the 6141 seems to shut itself off at 3:00 am for System Upgrades.
I call BEV to ask if this feature could be disabled and she said the 6141 doesn't have that feature even tho it is in the System Setup Menu.

Does anyone know how to keep this receiver on 24/7?

Thanks.
I do not believe it is possible to run the new generation of receivers 24/7. They do switch off after 3 hours of being idle as well I believe, or at least my 9200 does.

For recording shows, just set a Timer on the 6141, it will power up, then you can record from it, with your VCR or DVD recorder. There is no reason to leave it on 24/7 at all, plus it will also keep the firmware upto date as well, which with a new model is quite important.

Lets face it they intend to add the function of an External Hard Drive, this year to turn it into a HD PVR. You don't want to miss that do you.?

#162 ·
Next thing after ensuring proper grounding would be to replace ALL connectors with good quality (outdoor rated) connectors. These are the 2 most common problems that fit your symptoms. It is very unlikely to be the SW21s, and I suspect you don't need the SW21 for the 4100 anyway (unless you subscribe to ethnic or other non-HD programming on 82) so you could simply remove it if not required.

Ater all that, I'd say the LNB then the 4100 are the next things to check and try and replace (at least temporarily as a test).

#165 ·
Hi all, I just got of the phone with Bell's retention dept. I complained about how the 6141 when if first came out was featured to have a USB port to allow for ext HD to be added within the year. The retention guy spoke with the senior tech guy and the message was that this is something they're still looking at and no decisions have been made. So the message for me was it isn't going to happen any time soon. Why would it because it would compete with the 9242.

So instead they upgraded me to the 9242 as a rental for free one year + 6-month HD progamming.

#166 ·
ExpressVu 6141 drops satellite connection

To Pinza
I have not had any lost signals since my last response.
I followed the HD coax and discovered a terminal block (copper with four male projections for coax) with a ground wire. It sits in a place where condensation of my metal roof can drip on it. I wrapped it in plastic and...voila!...no more problems. Thanks for the attention you gave my problem.

#167 ·
I think you can remove this piece.

Just get an F81, splice or barrel connector and see if removing it causes any problems, I do not think it will.

Otherwise, thanks for the update.

#169 ·
Hi,
I just bought the 6141 and have it installed in my living room connected via component to a plasma tv. I have another plasma downstairs which I wish to connect to the same 6141 via the hdmi output, but I want to be able to change the channels while I'm downstairs. I know I'd be able to do it if it were a 9242 by using the UHF remote, but the 6141 doesn't have the jack for a UHF antenna. Can UHF still somehow be used to control a 6141? I've heard of IR signal extenders (or repeaters), but I can't seem to find any to purchase. Any other ideas?

#170 ·
kevinrr, search the forum on extender and you should find lots of posts discussing.
I thought I read that Bell was going to be announcing something today regarding use of an external drive for the 6141.
SHould happen on next firmware update which I would assume will be soon for the 6141

#171 ·
Can't get cable channels through 6141

I've been trying to use HDTV set-up on my 6141 to add local cable channels.
When I enter the HDTV setup menu I can change ratio & resolution but cannot select the source for local channels - it's set to off-air

I did this with my 6100 extremely easily and continue to watch local cable chanels when needed, i.e, local weather, community news 7 events.
I've called ExpressVu a few times for assistance with this and each time the rep I've gotten has been able to offer less assistance

Anybody know how I can do this? I'd apprciate the info

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.