Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Bell TV 6141 Discussion thread

241K views 600 replies 161 participants last post by  Smokin Joe 
#1 · (Edited)
This discussion thread is for owners to discuss the new ExpressVu 6141 HD Receiver when it becomes available.

Any posts discussing when it will be available or from NON-owners will be deleted and the poster will receive an infraction.

Once again, this thread is for OWNERS only.

For non-owners who would like to learn more about the ExpressVu 6141 you can discuss it PVR here.

#120 ·
I get the 9242 free rent for a year and free hd programing from another hd offer. I get $10 a month credit as long as it takes to fix the problem on the 6141 . I let her know I was embarrassed to show my $2000 plus TV to anyone because of the expressvu receiver I purchased. The original problem was no 818, 819 and sync on the newly purchased 6141 and they sent me out a refurb the first time I complained, same sync problems so I sent it back and continued complaining. I finally spoke to a manager who said the replacement should never have been sent as it is a known issue that a replacement won't fix, and with that she started a monthly credit postdated back to Jan and keeps going till its fixed or they have refunded my purchase. They fixed the no 818 or 819 but not the sync. My daughter keeps track of the day, channel and time if the sync problem if any and I have to phone in every month to the managers number to get the credit.
I'll tell you now you have to be willing to persist through the that's the best I can do ,the accidental telephone disconnects and the sir you need to get the key to the batters box to get this credit .

#121 ·
61xx audio sync issues

Hi,

I just got a new AVR this weekend and when I hooked up my 6141 HD receiver (with both audio and video over HDMI) the audio sync issues made things unwatchable.

So I unplugged the 6141 and plugged in my older 6100 with video on HDMI (DVI-HDMI cable) and audio on optical. It seemed OK.

Last might with the new setup I again experienced bad audio sync. After power cycling the 6100 it seemed better but not perfect. I went to the other room where the 6141 is now hooked up directly to an LCD TV (again, both audio and video on HDMI) and unless my senses have gone wonky there was minor sync issues happening.

Are other people experiencing audio sync issues with BEV HD receivers, or is it just me and my setup?

If you are, did it seem to get worse in the last few days?

Thanks,

Rick

#122 ·
Rick, a search on the word Sync in this forum and you'll find hundreds of posts on sync issues. Lots in this thread too which I have merged your post into so you can read the feedback from others specifically for the 6141

#123 ·
I have had this receiver now for 3 weeks. I also have the audio sync issues which are very annoying. I’m wondering if anyone has had any picture issues with using this receiver? In particular, for my case, the ice of a hockey game looks slightly blurry, noisy, blotchy (whatever you want to call it), its just not a clean picture (ice only, players look great). I’m curious if this could be the receiver or the TV….I’m heading to FS this evening to check out the one they have on display and if the picture looks fine there I would have to think it maybe this receiver….anyone else noticed anything similar to this?

Btw…my TV is a Panasonic 46PZ85.

#125 ·
audio sync problems often extend to SD

What is really aggravating is that the audio sync problem extends to the SD channels, even when the output is to AV. At times this is off by at lease one second. That’s pathetic. I get a better picture on HD but with poor audio on most channels, some of which are never a problem on my 3100.

I am patient and am willing to work through the problems with Bell, but the dishonesty of their representatives is appalling. They have sent me on a wild goose chase to get a better HDMI cable knowing full well that it would not solve he problem. They have told me to output to component, knowing full well that this would not solve the problem. They have me changing settings on the 6141, knowing full well that this would not solve the problem.

Not surprising, I’m on the verge of cancelling my Bell service altogether.
:mad:

#126 ·
audio sync problems.

I purchased the new 6141 receiver in January and experienced the same problems with the audio be out of sync with the video. I talked to a CSR representative about the problem and was given a $100 credit for this issue and was told they were working on a solution. In April I called back talked to one of their techs and went through the usual BS, resetting the receiver, how I was connecting the reciver, HDMI or component, the dolby digital/PCM issue and rehitting my receiver. None of this worked and they sent me another 6141 receiver(New) and I still had the same problems. Called back and spoke with another tech and they asked, the same questions only they this time asked me to switch the Dolby Digital to PCM only and the result was worse. The tech couldn't do anything else. I asked to speak to his manager and was quite frank with him that we both knew that Bell was working on this situation but the problem hadn't been corrected and the sending out of another 6141 receiver would not fix the problem. I requested a new 9242 receiver in place of the 6141 and was told that he would need to put the order through and would let me know if I would be approved because of the upgrade. I currently have no contract with Bell and I currently have a 9242, 6141(new 9242?) and a 3100 receiver. I got a call on Monday saying I was approved and would be getting a new 9242 to replace the 6141 for no additional cost. I received my package on Thurday and inside the box was a brand new 6141 even thought the paperwork said it was a 9242. I called the supervisor again and told them of the mixup and he assured me that I would get the 9242. Happy with the upgrade from 6141 to 9242, considering I bought the 6141 for only $199. Hopefully early this week I will get my 9242, will post when I receive it.

#127 ·
Colnot.... I see you already have one 9242. Does that one show the audio sync issue? If not...I'm definitely calling them asap to see if I can get a similar deal. From what I've read in this forum I thought some people were having audio sync issues with this unit (9242) as well or did I misunderstand this?

#128 ·

To be honest haven't really seen much from the 9242, I know a couple of weeks ago my wife noticed a slight delay on one of the stations, whatever Wheel of Torture was on, but hardly noticeable. I watch a lot of sports on HD, and with the old 6141 I could see a delay when watching Jays games and when they were doing interviews or just the commentators talking before the game. But I haven't watched too many Jays games recently

#129 ·
New Firmware for 6141/9242

I just spoke with the highest tech support at Bell and they stated that a revised firmware for the 6141/9242 will hopefully be available to customers within a couple of weeks. He stated they just finished testing it recently. He also stated what they've been told is that it's a fix for the audio-sync problem when using the HDMI cable. I told the tech that myself and many other people in this forum have had issues with audio-sync using component or HDMI outputs and that it just seems to be a general sync problem "not" related to just any one output. Every tech I spoke with so far said for the most part when they told people to switch to component outputs they never heard back from them. Anyway....I told him I'd wait for it and give it a try when it comes out.

(Note: I also gave the tech guy the link to this forum to see what people have been reporting for problems.)

#130 ·
I too have this problem

For the most part I watch sports in HD on my 6141, And when the play (hockey) is going on you don't see any talking heads so I didn't notice a sync problem. But it is definately their. I am using component connections to my tv and and just RCA connections to the AVR. I tried adjusting the sync delay (now down to 0) on my AVR and used CNN for the source. Problem still exists (although less) I can't adjust it any lower. Hopefully a software patch will fix this.:(

#131 ·
#132 ·
That's it for me!

They sent me a replacement unit saying it would fix the lip sync problem. The one they sent me had an older version of software, 161, which obviously didn't fix a thing. When I got back to tech, they tried me with the shut off and on ploy, but to no avail. When she asked me what cables I was using, I lost it. I immediately talked to a manager who admitted that they are working on the software but with no timeline as to when it would be ready. I cancelled my HD service and had them reactivate my 3100.

I'll reorder the service when I know it is working. I'll check with this forum to know when this happens, if ever. At this point I am not convinced that they can fix the problem.

#134 ·
The one they sent me had an older version of software, 161, which obviously didn't fix a thing.
Current firmware versions are always streaming from the satellite. All you have to do to update is turn the unit off for 15 minutes or so and it will update to thelatest version.

V162 is brand new. You can't expect them to unpack thousands of boxes and update the firmware when all it takes is a few minutes plugged in at the user end.

#133 ·
Billing

Have any others experienced the same problem? I was offered six months free HD, and free installation of my 6141. However, when I got my first bill, I was changed for these services. Only after calling billing and about one half hour of time did I get those charge removed, but only on my next bill. Is Bell following a practice of only applying discounts to those who take the time to read and understand the charges on their bill, then call to have the correction made?

#135 ·
Weak sat 82 signal

I have a 98% signal on 91 but can't get better than around 60% on 82. I have tried changing every angle azmuth and skew and can't get it to improve. I tried bypassing switch and aligning 81 direct to the receiver on its own but no better. Any change I make now no matter how small just makes it worse. Depending on the transponder I get low 50 to high 60's percent on a good day. I am in a treed area so wind and bad weather makes me lose signal on HD but not on any 91 stations. I assume since I have a 98% on 91 that the trees are not a factor. Would a bigger dish work. Any suggestions?

#136 ·
A larger dish pointing at 82 along with the one you have now pointing to 91 should increase your reception strength. Best idea would be to try and borrow one to ensure it will work though in your location. This is a general install issue though that would be better served in a different thread as this thread is specific to 6141 receiver discussions only. (in fact you will find that this topic has been discussed previously and simply post in one of the existing threads)

#139 ·
Hello all i spoke with a bell rep and he told me the update for external hd only applies to the 9242..does anyone know if the 6141 is next for the update??
You would thnk that us 6141 owners would/should be the first to get the upgrade. For 9242 users it is an extension to what they already have. Turning the 6141 into a PVR would (in my opinion) be a better trick.

#140 ·
tommorows the big day

i went to bell store today and a rep told me the 6141 may be included with hard drive launch....crazy thing is i use using the stores 9200 and it had the photos and hard drive options under the mutimedia tab..i know ur thinking that i probably was looking @ the 9242 but it was a silver box..pretty sure it was a 9200 great news for 9200 owners i guess .. i really hope the 6141 is supported ..did anyone here anything else???

#143 ·
Just got my 6141 yesterday and I love it.
I had an old 2700 receiver from 1999 and I like this one much better.
I like how the Programming Menus are configurable.
With my old remote I could choose whether I wanted the remote to control the receiver's volume or the TV's volume...very handy when my AVR is on.
I can't find that setting on the 6141.
Anyone know if that feature is available on the 6141?
Thanks.

#145 ·
I don't believe you can control the volume level through your 6141 receiver; that was a feature of the 2700. The best you can do is try to program your 6141 remote control to control the volume through via your television or AV receiver, depending what you use.

-Mike

#146 ·
Yep thats what I was referring to also. I'm sure I once set up my parents remote so that the TV volume was active in all input selections, I assume you could so the same for a receivers volume.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.