Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Bell TV 6141 Discussion thread

241K views 600 replies 161 participants last post by  Smokin Joe 
#1 · (Edited)
This discussion thread is for owners to discuss the new ExpressVu 6141 HD Receiver when it becomes available.

Any posts discussing when it will be available or from NON-owners will be deleted and the poster will receive an infraction.

Once again, this thread is for OWNERS only.

For non-owners who would like to learn more about the ExpressVu 6141 you can discuss it PVR here.

#92 ·
Does anyone else notice with the 6141 that other than the lip-sync problems that there are small audio drop-outs that happen maybe every 5 mins or so? I have been noticing this especially while watching concerts on HDNET ( Channel 814). These are not major drop-outs. It's more like a hiccup in the sound for a split-second that happens frequently. It may be more noticable during scenes with music, b/c music is more constant and not broken up like dialogue is in a movie. I don't notice it as much while watching channels like CNN.

#105 ·
looking at buying a few of these but it kind of hinges on Bev activating the PVR feature.
i asked the CSR's via phone and email but no one can give me a definitive answer.
most have no clue what i'm even talking about (which doesn't surprise me)
does anyone have any insight as to Bev's plans for this feature?
thanks.....AMD

#106 ·
looking at buying a few of these but it kind of hinges on Bev activating the PVR feature. i asked the CSR's via phone and email but no one can give me a definitive answer.
most have no clue what i'm even talking about (which doesn't surprise me) does anyone have any insight as to Bev's plans for this feature?
thanks.....AMD
The PVR feature is suppose to be activated some time in the future. When that will be and the specifications for the external hard drive(s) have not been announced to my knowledge. So you could be waiting a while.

#107 ·
Keep in mind that in addition to the uncertain timing, there is an uncertain cost associated with it. It may be more expensive to get a 6141 and external HDD than to get a 9242. (it may not, but keep in mind the drive won't be free in any case).

You need to consider the other capabilities as well (single tuner, dual tuner etc).

#109 ·
6141 timers

I finally got one of these things.

For anyone interested in future, the current software allows *ONLY* 20 timers. Utterly disappointing.

On top of the audio sync (S-Video and analog audio, 239 CFRN, CTV Evening news (05/01)), I'd stay away from these things, they're pretty useless to record stuff with over a 3 second delay in the audio.

Just MHO.

#110 ·
Does anyone know if the older 6120 has any lip-sync issues? If not I may contact bell and maybe swap my 6141 for it and see if they will give me credit back on the 6141. I heard somewhere along the way that the 6120 video quality may not be as good as the 6141. Any truth to this???

#111 ·
I spoke with a tech at Bell today and he said he's very well aware of the lip-sync problem with the 6141. He said that in a lot of cases he gets the customer to use the component (red/green/blue) cables and normal audio cables instead of the HDMI to hopefully fix the problem. He says that it's not uncommon in the industry (not just with Bell products) to have some compatibility issues using HDMI on certain equipment and that a future firmware upgrade will hopefully fix their 6141 problem. After he got me to switch to component cables he got me to go into the HDTV setup and switch it to 720p (I have a 1080P TV and had my setting on 1080i) and switch 16:9 to any of the 4:3 settings. He told me to save all that then try the TV again to see if that helps w/ the syn problem then go back into HDTV setup and switch it back to 1080i and 16:9 again. He claims this helped a customer just recently. I agreed to give it a go, but if this doesn't work he said he can send me a 6100 unit and try that instead. He claims there has never been any issues he's aware of with audio sync on that model.

(NOTE : Apparently the 6100 and 6120 are the same receivers. The 6120 just comes with a dish)

#112 ·
He says that it's not uncommon in the industry (not just with Bell products) to have some compatibility issues using HDMI on certain equipment
Yes expressvu HDMI will not work with any TVs
I'm surprised they did not ask you to spine around twice and click your heels three times.
The 6100 probably wont get HD at all next year if the go to mpeg4. A good example of the technological advice from expressvu technologists

#115 ·
Can anyone answer either of these 2 questions...

1. For those of you who owned the 6100 is the picture quality of the 6100 the same as the 6141 or did the 6141 improve video quality? Tech at Bell said they should be the same. Reason I ask is I might trade swap the 6141 for the 6100 in order to get rid of my lip-sync problem (at the same time I'm gonna ask Bell for a credit since I may have to go to an older unit).

2. Does the 9242 have any lip-sync issues and does the menu of a 9242 have a place to adjust for lip-sync? A tech or rep on the phone seemed to think the 9242 has a lip-sync adjustment. I assume it doesn't since the 6141 doesn't.

#116 ·
Just bought a 6141

I just bought and installed a 6141. It replaced my 6100. As for video it looks the same between units, just different menues. The off air reciever seems to lock in better on channels and is quicker when scanning for new channels. Hope they activate external Hard Drive soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.