Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Bell TV 6141 Discussion thread

241K views 600 replies 161 participants last post by  Smokin Joe 
#1 · (Edited)
This discussion thread is for owners to discuss the new ExpressVu 6141 HD Receiver when it becomes available.

Any posts discussing when it will be available or from NON-owners will be deleted and the poster will receive an infraction.

Once again, this thread is for OWNERS only.

For non-owners who would like to learn more about the ExpressVu 6141 you can discuss it PVR here.

#71 ·
My receiver also has the new firmware v161 now. So far I don't see any issues lately with blank screens anymore. I still see issues with lip-sync though. I notice it a lot on HDNET (channle 814) b/c I watch concerts on there and you easily see when a drummer for example hits a drum that the sound comes a split second later. I called Bell again and they said the new firmware may fix this sync issue with some HDTV's through HDMI inputs, but may not work for all tv's and they're constantly trying to work on this issue for other tv's. They again told me to try component inputs, but I have never found any difference using HDMi or component as far as the sync issue goes. Has anyone else tried component inputs and had success with fixing the lip-sync or are you still seeing lip-sync issues? The Bell agent told me he thinks the PVR 9242 (I think that's the model) has a menu option to adjust for lip-sync issues. Does anyone know if this is true and why this model would have it and not the 6141? I think if this goes on much longer I may ask that Bell send me a 6120 (older HDTV box model) and keep that until they design a better basic HDTV box.

#73 ·
Asked and answered a kazzillion times :)

57 said:
What is going on is interference from either the TV (you probably have an LCD) or the lights - are they CFs? (turn them off to see if the interference is still there) The lights probably didn't have anything to do with it, it's probably just working once the TV has been on for a while. See the following thread on the topic.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=64463

Please also read the following post, useful for newbies to the forum:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

#75 ·
I have just purchased the receiver from bell. I upgraded from the 6100 that was a rental. I am experiencing the out of sync audio. Switching stations and back sometimes helps. It is a little annoying though.
This new receiver appears to have a better picture and i like just having the hdmi cable for the a/v hook up.
Can't wait for the pvr feature to be available.
Does anyone know what the plans are for the Ethernet port?

#76 ·
Finally, the software patch fixed the fox-e issue.!!!! I am still experiencing audio sync issues though. It is not very often but it shows up on SD channels more often tham HD. The channel changing is sooo sloooooooooow.....It can be annoying on those days where my patience is a little thin, i.e(nagging wife:)). You would think the processing power of this new model would be able to provide lightening fast channel changing.

I find the remote, although nice looking, is kind of "clunky". The buttons aren't soft when pressed down like the 3100 etc. I know I'm being an@# now.

I have something to share though. Prior to the patch I was getting some HDMI image retention (LCD), which I compensated for by lowering the contrast on my LCD. This is no longer an issue no matter what the setting I have on my LCD, strange. Hmm strange, anybody else had this and is gone?

The picture quality is quite good, especially with the SD. HD is great regardless.

I wonder though if this receiver, via a patch, can do, resolution pass thru.
For example alloying the native HD resolution of the channel pass thru, such as various HD cable boxes do. Does Bev pass thru the native HD res. of the station broadcast, or do they upconvert/down conver it?

Not that this matters, but it good be a resourceful tool in achieving the perfect HD picture.

Oh and I have noticed that HD audio level is much higher than the SD broadcasts, thus always compensating with the volume on my LCD. Is this inherent on all BEV HD receivers?

I hope its just a matter of time when they allow the external USB HDD to be able to record.

#77 ·
Audio Synch Problems

Hi All,

I just upgraded to an ExpressVu 6141 and I too am having these audio synch probs. I tried using it on a different hi def TV to see if that made any difference and it did not. Changing cables from HDMI to component cables also made no difference. I'm guessing that this might be an MPEG decoding issue (?) because when I watch the same channels on my other hi def TV with a different ExpressVu box (model 6100), there are no audio synch problems with the model 6100. This is very annoying and I will be calling Bell about this tomorrow.

Cheers,
Carl

#78 ·
Some channels seem to be broadcast out of sync, some seem to be the fault of the receiver. Notably, CTV seems to be one of the worst. I also see this on SD channels such as the Food Network.

Bottom line I think is: Sometimes you can resolve it or make it less of an impact by switching to component, othertimes, there is nothing you can do, and potentially nothing EV can do in these circumstances if that is the way they get the feed. In some cases though, it is simply underpowered hardware for the job.

so:
a) Hardware issues
b) Firmware issue
c) HDMI support issues
d) broadcast issues

take your pick :) Could be all 4 or any combination

#81 ·
Haystack...couldn't agree with you more. I can't believe after two months being a new customer with Bell that this problem has not been fixed. I actually find CNN (Channel 500) to be one of the worst stations for the lip-sync going off often. I very often have to change to a different channel and go back to CNN to get the sync better/bearable, but still not dead on. For those people who watch concerts on HDNET (channel 814) you can see the lip-sync problem is painfully obvious when a guitar strum or drum hit is off by a split-second. I think until it's fixed I may call Bell and ask for a credit back on my account to compensate. One rep told me that it's the TV manufacturer's fault for changing their technology and not keeping Satellite companies up-to-date to get ready for the changes. Good lord! My dvd player is years old and works 100% with my TV, so basically they're just giving me the run around. Oh well...hopefully someday this problem will get solved.

#82 ·
I've been pretty fortunate with my 6141 I guess. I purchased it last week from Future Shop and the only issue I've had is that the audio comes up first before the video when changing channels.

Otherwise, I am quite satisfied with my unit. I think the picture quality is definitely better than I was used to on my 6100, both SD and HD.

Oh, btw, first post and thanks for all of the info.

#83 ·
SD channels and guide issues

Hey is anyone having problems with the 6141 only displaying the HD channels? The channel guide only shows that the HD channels are available. SD channels are gone and you can't even enter them manually. I've had the reciever for a week now and its happened 3 times (twice today). After a re-boot the channel guide and all channels work fine . Any ideas???

#88 ·
Not sure if you know but if you repeatedly push the "guide" button it cycles through different lists such as "HD only", "All subs", or "All channels". You may have inadvertently switched to "HD only". the guide shows what list you're on in the top left.

(FYI you can edit these default lists and create many more in the setup menu under "favorites"... a very handy feature if you create lists like PPV, sports, movies, ect and include only those channels. Much easier than scrolling through all the garbage channels on the guide.)

Something simple to look at first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.