Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Bell TV 6141 Discussion thread

241K views 600 replies 161 participants last post by  Smokin Joe 
#1 · (Edited)
This discussion thread is for owners to discuss the new ExpressVu 6141 HD Receiver when it becomes available.

Any posts discussing when it will be available or from NON-owners will be deleted and the poster will receive an infraction.

Once again, this thread is for OWNERS only.

For non-owners who would like to learn more about the ExpressVu 6141 you can discuss it PVR here.

#30 ·
Just got my 6141 yesterday. Experiencing the same video loss when you switch HD channels as most of you are. Using the HDMI cable straight out of the box with the reciever. Seems if i just power off and on video works instantly so not sure if i'll bother to switch to another format or not.

Anybody else having issues with channel population tho? i've called them 4 times because TSN HD and Sportsnet HD both are showing in red. Still waiting for them to populate after more then 24 hours.

Tech also stated that V160 of the software was not the current version but wouldn't send down an update on his end until all of my channels were populated property. Plug'd in to the phone line and did the call out update but still showing V160 after that so not sure if he knew what he was talking about or not.

#31 ·
TSN HD and Sportsnet HD both are showing in red.
These channels, for whatever reason, have to be added by the CSR when activating your system. They forget to do this a lot. Call back and ask them to check to see if they have added these channels to your subscription (does not cost extra, but shows up as an extra line on the bill ???). Then ask them to re-hit your receiver. It should only take a few minutes for them to show up.

#32 ·
Regarding the TSN + SN HD.... you can also go into your bell.ca website account and somewhere in there is a option to "synchronize programming". That took care of the problem for me, (After adding the sports 1 through the website the two HD channels remained red).

All channels added successfully in 10 minutes, not a single minute talking to a clueless customer service rep! Thank you internet!

Does anyone know what the Ethernet port is used/going to be used for? I pluged it in to my network, (to no effect), but there are no options in the user menu regarding networking.

#35 ·
He didn't say what it was. I'm not sure that he actually knew what he was talking about because he spent more time trying to sell me on Super Channel then actually trying to fix the issue i had. I'm guessing he was trying to get me off of the phone after he did the channel refresh and hoped i'd call back and get somebody else who actually knew how to fix the problem by giving me a reason to call back.

#36 ·
List of 6141 Receiver Problems

Hi. New member, first post.

I began reading your fantastic forum as a result of having problems with my newly purchased 6141 receiver (3 weeks ago).

Problems listed in order from least to most annoying.

1.Slow Channel Changes.
These on my receiver seem to take anywhere from 2-4 seconds. I only mention this because other people seem to be annoyed by this. It doesn't really bother me since I just assume that this is standard operating procedure for satellite television.

2.Audio Sync.
This seems to vary from slightly out of sync to so far out of sync that peoples lips have actually stopped moving before you hear any sound. It has been my experience that this issue is sporadic and not confined to any particular channels or programming. This issue usually seems to rectify itself after a sometimes short, sometimes long, sometimes not till the next show time interval.
Clarification: While I am sure this problem is prevalent on the HD channels I am not certain it also occurs on the SD channels. Since HD is new to me I haven't been watching much SD lately.

3.Black Screen With Audio Only (BSAO)
This seems to stem only around channel 818 HDFoxEast. When scrolling through the channels one at a time I always get BSAO when I reach 818. From here changing to 817 or 819 will also result in BSOA. As long as I keep scrolling through these three channels one at a time the screen will stay BSAO. Jumping to any other channel will result in the return of a normal picture and jumping from any other station (out of numerical sequence) to 818 will also result in a normal picture. This problem is extremely perplexing.

4.Audio Dropouts.
This one is extremely annoying because it makes programs unwatchable. This manifests itself as <1second intervals of lost audio (audio hiccups) which seem to occur sporadically but all too frequently. When occurring, these hiccups are heard at completely random intervals (2-30 seconds apart?). These audio hiccups seem to be confined to HD channels since I have compared programs running at the same time in HD and SD and the problem is only occurring on the HD channel. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? I haven't noticed it anywhere else in this thread.

5.BEV CSR's.
FRUSTRATING!! Enough said since this is probably a topic for another thread.

Further Information
As a direct result of my complaints to BEV tech support about the BSAO problem, they sent me a replacement 6141 which I received and hooked up yesterday. Just to let you know the new receiver has all the same problems #1-5.
I can tell you this is definitely not an HDMI issue. I have done extensive troubleshooting to try to isolate these problems. I have changed all my connections (between 6141 receiver, Onkyo SR-605 A/V Receiver and Sanyo PLV-Z5 Projector) from all HDMI to all component and every combination in between. I have also taken my A/V receiver out of the loop by connecting 6141 directly to projector and all these problems persist throughout all troubleshooting combinations.

I was extremely happy to find this thread to discover other people are experiencing the same issues. Since all my equipment is new I wasn't at first certain that one of my other components might not be responsible for some of these problems.

#37 ·
Length of guide?

I have had my 6141 for a few wks now and am quite happy with it, albeit the odd audio-sync issue and varying speed of channel changing. One question though for you fellow owners...how long of a guide are you experiencing? I just checked mine again, and am not getting more than 44 hours. That sucks! On my 5900 and 9200 receivers, I am getting almost 9 days. I am sure I read somewhere in the forums that the guide for the 6141 was 9 days?

#39 ·
On my 5900 and 9200 receivers, I am getting almost 9 days. I am sure I read somewhere in the forums that the guide for the 6141 was 9 days?
You are getting the 9 day guide on those receivers because of the hard drive. When BEV activates the USB port to allow the addition of a hard drive to the 6141, you should be able to get a 9 day guide as well (if you add on an external hard drive).

#41 ·
Bev 6141 update

Just a quick update on the performance of the 6141 reciever up to date.
I am getting more pleased with the reciever the longer I have it. Mainly becuse of the HDMI having a much better picture quality on my TV and the sound quality via the HDMI on HD channels to be much better. ( SD sound no change video seem somewhat better)
I am also finding that the problem I mention reguarding sound no picture to happen very infrequently and the gained benifits well worth it.

JOMO....

#42 ·
Just an update on my own 6141 receiver experience.
After many hours spent on the phone with BEV tech support they finally admitted that they are having a sound with no picture problem with channel 818. They said it was a known issue and that the problem is at their end. They said they are working on a fix. Frankly I'm not certain whether this is the truth or something they just told me to stop my repeated phone calls.
Purchased 3:10 to Yuma in HD from pay per view the other evening. The first 90 min. was fantastic, great picture and great sound. The last half hour completely ruined the experience because the audio started dropping out from a few seconds to minutes at a time.This is an experience I will definitely not repeat.

#45 · (Edited)
MIKE I called about the 818/819 no video and was given the known issue we will try and fix March or April.I couldn't wait for an update on that so I will call back on Monday when I have more than the 45 min I spent on the phone today. What a piss off, even though its a known issue they make you waste your time with the restart routine. It just makes you want satisfaction at any cost.

#46 ·
I got my 6141 a few weeks ago and have been getting audio out of sync problems ever since (especially in HD channels). Do anybody else having this problem and can someone offer me a solution.

I called bell tech support and as you know they are useless. They tell you reboot the receiver, change cables, check switch, and etc....

Do anybody have a real solution. It is very annoying when watching TV and audio out of sync.

Thanks in advance.

#47 ·
Have the problem but sorry no solution. I am under the impression that the audio sync issue is not confined to the 6141 or even to BEV for that matter but effects HD channels regardless of the receiver or service provider. Not sure exactly where I got this impression but it seems to be a fairly common complaint (please correct me if I am wrong).

Personally I find this issue is sporadic and tends to correct itself given time. That's not to say it isn't annoying because it is. What's more annoying to me are the audio dropouts. Are you also experiencing this? Is anyone else?
I think people tend to notice visual problems first. I noticed the 818 picture issue and the audio sync issue which both have visual cues long before I noticed the audio dropouts.

I'm hoping someone else here has a solution or at least some comments. I can't take another round of dealing with BEV csr's and their reboot, check software version, run checkswitch etc. routine right now. I went through hours of that with the 818 issue and they have worn me down to the point where I can't deal with them again right now.

#51 ·
hamike stayed on the phone with expressvu today till they said they would send out a new receiver on the 818 problem. they told me there are fixing it but they don't know when. I said I would like one that worked or get a refund.
tec3 thinks none of them work right yet but will send a new one to make me happy.

#53 ·
Some owners of the 6141 do not report this problem I hope I become one of them. My experience with expressvu is to cover all bases . If my refurb as you say does not work I would like to have a complaint on file so I can do something about them launching a product that does not work. As you have a 6141 you should know all about what you speak . Why do you keep your 6141 when it does not work?

#54 ·
I also have the problem with lip-sync with the 6141. Before they admitted to the problem with lip-sync at Bell's end they sent me a replacement receiver, but it had the same problem. My wife and I even felt that the replacement receiver's video quality was not as good as the original. I got Bell to take it back and kept my original. I wouldn't be suprised if the replacements are refurbished, because it came w/o any accessories in a plain clear wrap in a 6141 box. The smart card door was even broken at one end. The lip-sync for me is bearable until they fix it, but for a new product it's pretty pathetic that they couldn't work out bugs before selling them.

#56 ·
but for a new product it's pretty pathetic that they couldn't work out bugs before selling them
Every company does this ... release the product when it is 80-90% tested and fix the problems on the fly. They need to recoup R&D as fast as possible, so they release it and deal with the issues as they arise. Have you bought a microsoft product recently ... when was the last time they released a new version of windows without years of fixes???

Investors demand quick results and the companies are under the gun to release product before they should. I am not saying it is right to do this, just they way big companies operate.

#57 ·
Please stick with discussions around the features, options, setup, etc of the 6141. Discussion of R&D costs, general business practices, sheep etc belong elsewhere. :)

I would also suggest usign the existing threads on the audio-video sync (or lack of) issue rather than duplicate the info in this thread (It also affects other models so some members would not be able to participate here).

Thanks

#58 ·
My replacement 6141 has come and gone. Same thing wrong it can't change to 818. Manager said they should not have bothered to send me a new one as they don't work. They did give me a $10 month credit till its fixed. They are starting with $30 for Jan/Feb/Mar and the managers phone # if they have to credit me further. Csr and tecs are in damage mode denial but if you persist you can get the credit. Hopefully the more grief they get the more people they will put on the fix. I'm I happy? yes sir . :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.