Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Bell TV 9242 HD PVR Discussion thread

1M views 4K replies 709 participants last post by  jackching 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This discussion thread is for owners to discuss the new ExpressVu HD PVR when it becomes available.

I will update this thread when we have specs and details.

Any posts discussing when it will be available or from NON-owners will be deleted and the poster will receive an infraction.

Update: See Bev 9242 HD-PVR for details and for NON-owners to discuss.

Master Reset Link:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1361019#post1361019

Edit by 57 - 9242 User Guide:

http://support.bell.ca/_web/guides/tv/userguide/receiver/9242/9242_11(en).pdf

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
I think the firmware is v180... not sure i'll have to check tonight but when I look before the installation and activation it was v180.

First thing i really don't like and that's bugging me a lot.. it's the time it take to change from one channel to the other... almost 7 seconds of a black screen.

And the sound doesn't seem to be in synch with the picture, using optical cable.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
My experience with DP / DPP is that it works much better than the Legacy.

I know it is not approved, hell I have been saying that for months on this very Forum but after changing my feeds to DP / DPP I am delighted, the 9200, has not had any out of sync audio, the 6100, runs so sweet, when before it was freezing etc.

The delay between channels on the 9242 is excessive, I have one hooked up in front of me, 5 to 7 seconds per change, not sure why, this is on Legacy right now but was on DP / DPP an hour ago, no change.

Receiver is NOT activated, just running it on the free channels. This is the second one hooked up, no difference.

Therefore from my own testing, DP / DPP is not the issue at all.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
I can assure u then that even if it's activated... you'll have the 5-7 sec delay...

I think we will have to deal with the long delay !!!

if you switch between 2 channel during a program and those channel are always the same... put the 9242 into monomode and use the swap btn to switch from tuner 1 to tuner 2... it's the quickest way to switch channel ! even faster than regular TV ! hehehe.

#7 ·
REPEAT! This thread is for OWNERS ONLY to discuss actual usage of the unit and their impressions.

See this thread for NON-owners wanting to learn about the details of the unit.

#13 ·
Well, I'm glad they 'fixed' that issue. I just purchased 2 of the 9242 PVRs and will hook everything up on Tuesday. I am a 1st time customer to BEV.
So is the EPG 2 days or 9 days?
Any ideas when/if the USB port will activate?
Swiper, how fast was channel change before? 0.5-1.0 sec? Was that with the 9200?

#18 ·
I'm about to go get a 9242, but I was just wondering about installation. I remember a while back reading that these PVR's can be installed with one wire running inside and then being split into the two. Can someone confirm how this is done?

My current setup I have a 6100 and 4100, so two wires coming in. The 9242 would likely replace one of these receivers. How can I just run one of those lines to the two inputs. I already have a switch 21 I believe outside running in one line of both 91&82 and the other line is just 91.
I think you are talking about an install using DishPro Plus equipment. This works well on the 2 9200' that I own but I recall reading that the 9242 might not support this hardware.
This should give you an idea on how it hooks up.
http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishnetwo...o_Plus_Installation_Quick_Reference_Guide.pdf

#22 ·
I got mine working with just one line coming in, the only difference is that I cannot record a different program then what I'm already watching. We really don't want to run a third line into our house, so I'm fine with what I have for now. I'll see what happens later.

#23 ·
posts by non-owners deleted. This thread is for owners ONLY. See post #1 if you are not an owner.

#24 ·
Found first problem
my 9242 has an intermittent sound loss and screen flicker.
Sound loss is for about 20 sec every 2 to 5 min for every channel up to 830 after that I have only sound flicker
HDMI connected
may have to switch to component
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
BTW 9200 worked perfect with the same setup

#26 ·
New subscriber here...I too am reasonably pleased with the 9242 PVRs that I purchased.

I do not see the flicker and sound loss that Matt described (I am using the HDMI cables and set both TVs at '1080i')

I really like the TV2 out feature, which I have linked to my old cable infrastructure in the house, which lets me watch any 2 of 5 old-school TVs (3 tube TVs and 2 PC tuners) by way of cable splitters, while the plasmas are also running...with no need for any additional receivers.

My one minor concern about the 9242, which I could not reference in the manual, is the output audio levels.
I pass-through the audio from TV to the Stereo system, and I find that the audio level is very high from the PVR....so much so that I have to have the volume knob of my stereo at almost zero...the tiniest volume adjustment on the stereo increases the output dramatically.
It would be nice to scale back the audio level from the PVR so that I could use my volume control more precisely.
Anyone else notice this?

#27 · (Edited)
Hi,

I also purchased the 9242 this week and am very happy with the receiver. The shop I bought it from did the install (needed a new dish even though I have HD– it’s a long story…), and I had been waiting for the new receivers to come out.

I find none of the problems mentioned in comments in the forum, specifically:
1. The noise is less than the old 5800 I used to have, but it is louder than a 6100 (which makes almost no noise). We have the unit in a bedroom, it is fine, less than a computer hard drive…
2. I am using just HDMI for the TV1 and the installer also hooked up Composite, presumably for the other feed (which I am not sure I have to have – is this necessary to record while watching something else? He put the thing in dual mode, as most people do a second feed – I switched it back to use Single as it is just this set I am feeding with the new receiver, and I wanted PIP and the ability to watch one thing while recording or playing another recorded program), and have seen no loss of sound sync so far.
3. I recorded Survivor last night while watching CSI in HD, both programs were watched without issue with sound or skipping (Survivor recorded in SD and I played it back after, and that is a question – can one record in HD while watching something else in HD???).
4. The channels change and do take a couple of seconds, but that is no different from the 6100, in fact the program guide switches FASTER on the 9242 than the 6100 (when you are searching for shows) – much faster! If you direct enter the channel you are switching to, I find it is just the same time as the 6100, about 4-5 seconds.

So, I am glad I bought the 9242, and look forward to using the PVR features which I used to have with the 5800, but now in HD for the main channel at least. I am glad that this forum exists, as the thoughts of others helped me decide how to set this all up.

ps - just answered my own question and recorded Equator in HD for a couple of minutes while watching Rush in HD - cool...Don't know what happened with Survivor last night - maybe I had it recording off a non-HD channel...

#29 ·
It took some doin' to git the 9242 hooked up and runnin'.

But finally, I'm impressed that it works! Added it to my account online and got programming right away, no waiting on hold or doing tests for CSR's.
Set up remotes, had to address the uhf's different so they don't control the wrong receiver.
The timers work, it records and plays. The OTA tuner seems slightly better than the old one.

And its black. so, i'm happy so far