Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Bell TV 9242 HD PVR Discussion thread

1M views 4K replies 709 participants last post by  jackching 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This discussion thread is for owners to discuss the new ExpressVu HD PVR when it becomes available.

I will update this thread when we have specs and details.

Any posts discussing when it will be available or from NON-owners will be deleted and the poster will receive an infraction.

Update: See Bev 9242 HD-PVR for details and for NON-owners to discuss.

Master Reset Link:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1361019#post1361019

Edit by 57 - 9242 User Guide:

http://support.bell.ca/_web/guides/tv/userguide/receiver/9242/9242_11(en).pdf

#146 · (Edited)
I'm new to the forum. I had Bell ExVu installed on Dec 21. I have a 9242 in our family room. It's connected w/HDMI to my Pioneer Elite 92 series A/V rcvr and our 60" Kuro TV. I had smart card issues [015/122/394 error codes] w/the 9242 and went through countless hours on the phone w/Bell techs to no avail. The unit was deemed defective by Dec 24th. While waiting for the replacement 9242, I used my non-HD Bell rcvr from downstairs w/components on the side of the Kuro and analog audio - sat worked fine but with compromised quality/aesthetics (my HDMI is run behind the wall from the Elite receiver).
I rcvd the replacement 9242 on Jan 10, reinstalled it w/HDMI and had it activated. No smart card issues but I've had persistent video problems. The A/V connections are fine and my sat signal is also in the 80's. However, I often get a black screen, occasionally get a frozen video screen, and more rarely get jumbled pixels. When I reboot the video is fine for some time, but when I change channels the problem recurs, usually with a black screen. I have a tech coming in around TEN DAYS but I'm curious as to whether this is a common problem w/the 9242? I am hoping this is not an HDMI issue. The rest of my system is working fine [ie. my HDDVD HDMI connection has no audio or video problems]. Any input/suggestions is appreciated. Thank you.

#147 ·
Have you tried connecting the HDMI output of the 9242 directly to the television? I run my 9242 directly to my Pioneer Elite PRO 50" and have not had any of the problems your describe. Perhaps the AVR is causing the issue?

-Mike

#149 ·
Yes, you can run a TOSlink digital audio cable from the 9242 to the receiver for the DD5.1 sound. I'm not suggesting leaving it that way, but it's a necessary step to isolate what's wrong (and where).

-Mike

#151 ·
All the Tech can do is check the obvious things like Signal strengths etc, he will almost certainly just say the 9242 is defective if all else checks out, you will then get yet another receiver shipped out to you as a replcement.

These units do not appear as robust as was first thought, several failing to activate both Tuners, several with failed HD's etc.....

#152 ·
Don't tell me the 9242 is worse than the 9200? I was thinking of upgrading to the 9242 to get rid of my "jump to live" 9200. I guess I'll wait until Bell brings out the next PVR with the bigger hard drive. Why can't they get these things right the first time? Dish had this receiver in the US for a year already so they should have been able to iron out all the bugs.

#153 ·
I have not, as yet heard any issues when in use, the "jump to live" etc do not happen but some are very noisy, some are failing after a few weeks with Smart-card errors, which is impressive weeing as how they do not have a Smart Card....lol

Overall, it is a better machine than the 9200 but only time will tell how it works out. I will be asking for a 9242 to replace my 9200 very soon, I am prepared to take a chance on it.

#158 ·
If The Jump to Live problem is that when you're watching a PVR recorded show and at the same point of the show it is jumping to live signal meaning that you can't watch the show... I have this problem on one show I recorded. Can't watch the end of the show, after 30min, it stops even if the show seems to be all recorded. I have a 9242.

Major problem :
1 - Audio drops out mostly on TVA HD but less frequent on other HD channel
2 - The problem describe above that me be refeered as "Jump To Live" Bug

#154 ·
2nd 9242 replacement in three weeks!!

After having the video troubles with the 9242 HDMI out to my Pioneer VSX 92-THX, I tried to isolate the problem. I ran the HDMI from the 9242 straight to the Kuro tv. Problem remained. I then called BEV to order a replacement. The tech actually suggested the problem was not the unit (hardware) but a software problem with the HDMI outputs that Bell was "working on". I questioned this as: 1) some 9242 users w/HDMI connections don't have a problem at all; and 2) no Bell tech had previously volunteered this as a potential problem. The tech suggested I use the comp. outs for the time being (lovely wire hanging from the otherwise nicely framed Kuro) until the software upgrade would "automatically" be downloaded on my system "at some point in the future". I've tried the comp outs from the 9242 - same problem. I've now resigned myself to re-hooking up the old 6100 with the comp hook up and will be calling Bell for yet another replacement 9242 tomorrow. This is utterly bogus. I will keep re-ordering replacements until I get one that works (and have told the mother corporation I will not pay them a red cent until this is rectified). :mad:

#159 ·
I think the Jump to Live bug is when you are watching a show in "chase mode" (i.e. you paused a live show, then start it again delayed from the original airing) and it jumps forward to the live feed, requiring you to rewind back to where you were. I can't say I've ever seen that bug on the 9242, but then I didn't see it much on the 9200 either.

The audio dropouts are a problem again. They're happening routinely on the major networks.

-Mike

#161 ·
Bell's Take on HDMI issues

As I spoke to the Bell tech while ordering my 2d replacement 9242, I was amused to hear him castigate HDMI and attribute problems to various manufacturers not being able to standardize the HDMI signal (1.2, 1.3 etc). So, it's not Bell's fault they chose to market a receiver with an HDMI output knowing the odds of it working reliably was slim and none. :eek:

Irony is I just finished explaining the video issues existed with the component out as well.

If anyone else is having 9242 issues with video drop/freeze/pixellation please share them cos I'm sure as hell not getting any straight answers from Bell.

#162 ·
Kuroman, I've had my 9242 connected to a 3 year old Pioneer PDP-4340 and currently a Pioneer Elite PRO-110FD. I've never had any issues with HDMI connectivity. I remember you have the 60" model but I'd be very surprised if there was a compatibility issue with just that set.

I've tried the comp outs from the 9242 - same problem.
If the component outputs are giving you the same issue, the problem lies elsewhere. I would have the installation double checked. A weak signal can result in pixelation or the screen going blank periodically.

-Mike

#176 ·
Kuroman, I've had my 9242 connected to a 3 year old Pioneer PDP-4340 and currently a Pioneer Elite PRO-110FD. I've never had any issues with HDMI connectivity. I remember you have the 60" model but I'd be very surprised if there was a compatibility issue with just that set.
-Mike
Are you using the HDMI connection for both video and audio, or are you using the optical port directly from the 9242 into an AVR for audio? I'm only experiencing audio "blips" from my 9242 where the audio will drop out for a second or so, but it's happening every few minutes and is becoming quite annoying. My 9242 is directly connected to an HDMI port on my LG plasma and the TV then sends an optical out to my AVR. I used to have my DVD player connected to the HDMI port on the LG and never experienced this, so I'm quite certain that this problem is related to the 9242.

#163 ·
HD Aspect Ratio and BEV 9242

Ok....Everything has been installed and working mostly as expected. I was blown away by the Bell HD channel. Can't believe how clear it is....... However, when tuning into some HD channels 800, 801, 802, 803, 815, 816 etc, the picture or aspect ratio doesn't take up the entire screen and are usually cut off on the sides and sometime on the top. Same thing happens with the the digital standard stations. Is this normal for HD and DS. Currently I have a pany HD ready Tv (16x9) connected to receiver with the HDMI cable. My Tv accepts 1080i and lower signals. I have changed the aspect ratio usig the receiver i.e. 4x3#1 , 4x3#2 and 16x9. When in 16x9 the picture is not on all of the screen and when I do a partial zoom on the 4x3 it does fill the screen but some things such as wording on the bottom of the screen gets cut off. Am I doing somthing wrong? Is it because my TV is HD ready? Is there anything that i can add-on to fix this?

Once again, thanks for your help.

#165 ·
Mike - thanks for the comment and suggestions. Which installation would you have double checked? I am able to receive a solid audio and video signal with the 6100 receiver w/components and received the audio and "guide" video with the 9242 receiver. It was the channel video that was either temporary/black/frozen/pixellized. The sat signal/switch is fine. The problem certainly lies with the 9242.

#166 ·
9200 red flashing lights

My 9200 has started flasing both red record lights but it is locked up, no picture or sound
I have rebooted from the front panel power button and it shows the TV1 green light for a few minutes then shuts off then it shows the TV1 green light for a few minutes then all lights go out then goes back to both record lights flashing??
Shouldn't I be able to go to menu and then piont dish even with no sats connected?
otherwise how could you ever aim it

#172 ·
What is the difference between "Line Mode" and "RF Mode" The manual is unclear on this. I am using my HT for audio connected via Optical out. Which setting should I be using? I've also got a second tv connected via RG6

Thanks,
Manual is pretty clear.

Line mode. When you use this setting, in comparison to RF mode, the dynamic range is wider, which makes the music and loud noises louder, but voices quieter.

RF Mode. When you use this setting, in comparison with Line Mode, the dynamic range is narrower, which makes music and loud noises quieter, but voices louder.

Line mode is the real 5.1 track and RF mode looks to be what Dolby has which is like a midnight mode.

#169 ·
From rental 9200 to purchased 9242

I am renting a 9200, and I'm past the contract expiry. Today I bought the 9242, had FS price beat BB's $499. So I'll need to phone bell and make the swap, I believe they send me a box to return the rental, correct? Anything else I should be expecting from them when I phone? Is it dificult to get them to give me some programming credits or other bonus for committing to their equipment and service? Is there any way to move my recordings from the rental to the new box? :eek: