Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Bell TV 9242 HD PVR Discussion thread

1M views 4K replies 709 participants last post by  jackching 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This discussion thread is for owners to discuss the new ExpressVu HD PVR when it becomes available.

I will update this thread when we have specs and details.

Any posts discussing when it will be available or from NON-owners will be deleted and the poster will receive an infraction.

Update: See Bev 9242 HD-PVR for details and for NON-owners to discuss.

Master Reset Link:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1361019#post1361019

Edit by 57 - 9242 User Guide:

http://support.bell.ca/_web/guides/tv/userguide/receiver/9242/9242_11(en).pdf

#116 ·
Solved black screen problem

It seems the problem over night was somehow caused because I did not have both the cables hooked to the reciever yet. I finally got around to installing two from the multi-switch and so far so good. Although I think I could do more with my rogers box. too bad I can't get cable where I am at.

#123 ·
Ya, I know, I just hoped with the 4 wires I had to run from the dish that more could be acomplished. I guess thats where cable has us beat. Although I would need 20km of cable here to get hooked up HEHE:)
I saw the HDMI thread, but have not been able to get sound to work with my cheap insigna 37" HD flat screen. So I have been going component.

#126 ·
Are you kidding? I didn't know rogers was that far behind. Can't you get a rogers pvr with an OTA tuner?
Can their pvr at least recond 2 shows while watching 2 shows on 2 differnet tv's? I didn't know I was that spoiled, we've been recording 3 programs and playing back another for almost 2 years now.

#128 ·
Speaking of recording shows, I just got my 9242 yesterday and tried the PVR and was disappointed to see that even though i recorded movies from HD channels, they got recorded in SD. It seems I may have read that there is a solution to that but I can't easily find it

Is it because I am recording from tuner 2 and I am in dual mode ? Manual does not say (or I have not found it) how to chose to record in HD or SD. I should be able to record in HD from either tuner as the mpeg stream being "tuned" is in HD for HD channels so why does the 9242 downconvert to SD ? (I am saying its SD because of the black bars on the sides of an HD recorded movie). It still says HD in the "my recordings" view on the event itself but when watching it , it looks just like an SD channel. Where is the setting for defaulting to HD recording from HD channels ? Thanks

#129 ·
The HD channels don't necesarily play HD material all the time. Your 9242 will playback whatever was recorded.

Usually, New primetime drama shows are HD, usually new movies and specials are HD. Usually high end sports are shot in HD.
Most reality TV is still SD and will remain that way for the forseeable future.

the 9242 put a stupid HD logo beside the channels that might-possibly, could-be, sometimes HD.

#130 ·
I recorded movies (theatrical releases from a couple of years ago) from Channel 803 which is supposed to be a HD channel so I would expect them to be shown in HD (Am I wrong ?) . If channel 803 is an HD channel then the stream should always be HD ? When I watch the recorded movies, they have the black bars on either side just like good old 4:3 SD material. i.e. not letterboxed, correct 4:3 aspect ratio with just black bars on the left and right. Using any of the 9242 stretch modes to fill the screen results in distorted or cropped images. Is channel 803 not HD all the time ?

#131 ·
Yes, you are wrong. ;) City rarely plays HD movies. Much discussion about that in other threads. On the positive side, City has BT in HD and Canada's only HD news.

HD channels are not HD all the time. Usually upconverted SD.

But like i said, it will playback whatever you record in the same format.

You have to set your output ratio and resolution. But once you find the best setting, you'll never have to set it again.

#133 ·
Anyone having issues with the sound stopping on the 9242? I had it hooked up with HDMI at first and now with component / RCA for audio. In both cases, TV1 will sometimes drop audio until I reset the receiver, and then it's fine. It'll run for hours, and then drop again. Seems to be fine if you're not mucking with the channels or PVR. In a couple of occurances of this, it really started to slow down (pressing a bunch of remote buttons had delayed responses -- ie 10's of seconds).

I'm thinking it's time to call tech support, but there's that pain of going through their diagnostic list for dummies........

#135 ·
9242 Audio dropout, cloning favourites, USB? RJ45? and copying old recordings

I have a few questions about my 9242 which is hooked up to my SHARP AQUOS by HDMI and my Yamaha AV Receiver by optical, and one comment.

1. I have noticed that the sound to the AV Receiver drops out for a split second every few minutes, even with recorded shows. If I replay the program, the dropout appears in a different location. What causes this? I tried changing the digital audio encoding settings on the 9242 but still hear this problem.

2. I've spent some time setting up favourite channels for Tuner2. It would be nice if the 9242 permitted these to be cloned across to Tuner1. Re-entering them is somewhat tedious. Is there a clone feature buried in the menus for this?

3. Are there any reliable rumours as to the future function of the USB and RJ45 connectors on the 9242?

Re copying shows from an older unit, I found that it was just as easy to pick up a surplus DVD Recorder and copy the shows from my old 6200 to DVD. A bonus is that the DVD Recorder has HDMI output, so I can play my old +R DVDs on the new HD TV. My Toshiba HD-A30 does not read DVD+R. The recorder does.

#136 ·
I also have this audio drop-out problem intermittently...
(using 9200 connected to Sony KDSR50XBR1 via HDMI cable)
When I rewind the PVR a few seconds, the sound is there...

Also, if I listen to the AC3 audio out from the 9200 to my home theater receiver, it seems there is a slight delay in the audio (annoying as all hell...)

I have found many threads on this subject in Dish and DirecTV sites as well... and it seems to point to the reliability of the HDMI cable (and versions of HDMI at both ends, handshaking, bla bla bla)...

I was using the *crappy* free DVI/HDMI wire B3V gave us with the 9200...
I bought a 40$ better quality HDMI cable... guess what... problem still happens... and there is NO way I am getting suckered into a $100plus HDMI wire just to test it out...

#141 ·
9242 and Viewsonic TV

Hi All,

I have a Viewsonic 37" LCD TV and the one code in the Bell book doesn't work. Anyone have any tips on what other codes I can use? I'm not sure if someone else makes Viewsonic's LCD TV's. Or is there the mother of all TV codes and remotes site out there?

HDMI Cables - I read in a magazine last month that it doesn't matter about the price/quality of the cable, since the cable transmits in digital only. So its either going to work or not, their recommendation is to buy the cheapest one you can find (shielding, etc doesn't play a role in the quality when the signal is digital). From my understanding, an HDMI cable cannot have "intermittent" problems, its either going to work all the time, or not at all. So if it drops out, the problem is with either the receiver or the TV, so if the sound is fine on that HDMI port when your playing your XBox, then you know its the receiver for sure. fyi - I'm using the cheap cable that came with the receiver and it works fine, no sound problems at all.

#142 ·
The HDMI cable that ships with the 9242 will be fine! You won't get a better picture with a more expensive cable.

Page 10-8 in your manual describes a method to scan for a working code. It's not guaranteed to work but try it.

-Mike