Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Bell TV 9242 HD PVR Discussion thread

1M views 4K replies 709 participants last post by  jackching 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This discussion thread is for owners to discuss the new ExpressVu HD PVR when it becomes available.

I will update this thread when we have specs and details.

Any posts discussing when it will be available or from NON-owners will be deleted and the poster will receive an infraction.

Update: See Bev 9242 HD-PVR for details and for NON-owners to discuss.

Master Reset Link:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1361019#post1361019

Edit by 57 - 9242 User Guide:

http://support.bell.ca/_web/guides/tv/userguide/receiver/9242/9242_11(en).pdf

#64 ·
I just bought the 9242

Im new to bell and new to this receiver
Prolly a silly easy question to answer for you guys
I have one receiver the 9242 going to 2 of my tv's
Should I get hd on both tv's with one receiver or do I have to buy another reciever to get hd on both tv's ?
Also I have lost sound for 20 seconds and when Im recording a show while watching another it seems to flicker a bit on the show Im watching

#65 ·
The 9242 has HD out to 1 HD and SD to the second, both viewing different programs at the same time.

It is possible to output HD to 2 HDTV's for the HDMI and Component connections, however both HDTV's will have to watch the same shows.

Sound issues seem to be increasing, mostly at the beginning of shows.

#68 ·
9242 Crashing randomly

Has anyone had any issues with their 9242 crashing and rebooting itself?

It crashed at least 4 times while I was watching PVR'd material(hockey game in HD) yesterday. It has crashed randomly at least once per evening as well. So far it's been pretty frustrating... as each crash means at least 5 minutes before it comes back up again...

Just curious if any one else has experienced this behavior as well...

(PS- It was installed by Bell last week)

Thanks,
Rob

#70 ·
Has anyone had any issues with their 9242 crashing and rebooting itself?

It crashed at least 4 times while I was watching PVR'd material(hockey game in HD) yesterday. It has crashed randomly at least once per evening as well. So far it's been pretty frustrating... as each crash means at least 5 minutes before it comes back up again...

Just curious if any one else has experienced this behavior as well...

(PS- It was installed by Bell last week)

Thanks,
Rob
Is it in a closed area ? or do you have any other hardware that is producing heat around the unit ? you need to let it breath cause if it's to hot, it can act this way.

I suggest you try to cool it a bit if it's in closed area ;)

other than that I can't see .. maybe a defective unit.

#71 ·
Is it in a closed area ? or do you have any other hardware that is producing heat around the unit ? you need to let it breath cause if it's to hot, it can act this way.
It's in a cubby in the entertainment unit, the front is always open, but it isn't a very large space, I can't fit my arm inside to reach the back of the unit.. I have to pull it if I need to make any connection changes(to give an idea of the space).

I'll attempt to increase the space a little to see if that helps, thanks for the suggestion :)

Hopefully it's not defective...this is the second unit I've tried. the HDMI port died on the first one. /sigh

#72 ·
My unit auto re-booted once, while i was searching all the menus to see what features i could find. Maybe i found a screen i wasn't supposed to see :)
Other than that, no problems. Keeping my fingers crossed.....

#75 ·
I have had problems with the video and audio not syncing up on both 9200 and 9242 on tuner 1 in both units.This started when I moved and had a new install done.After many different calls and every imaginal trouble shooting they have now sent me a replacement receiver for both units.I'm tending to think it is a install problem because my 9200 worked fine at the old house.

Anybody expierience problems like this?

#79 ·
Just a quick update on my 9242 rebooting issue...

Level 2 tech support finally admitted today that the replacement unit they had sent me is defective, AND was a refurbished model. That surprised me, as this replaced a BRAND new one I had purchased not a week before. Had I known this, I would have preferred to just return it to the store I bought it from and swapped it for a new one...

Anyhow, so they are now sending me a third 9242, and this time, he insisted it would be 'brand new'. I guess we'll see how this goes. The rebooting has been very frustrating... and it never fails... it reboots seemingly JUST at the end of a show, or right when there is a big play in a hockey game lol... /sigh

Cheers

#81 · (Edited)
They have been arriving since day one.....lol

Some even have the Dish Remotes in the box's....lol

Found one with scratches and coffee cup stains on the case too.

Nothing surprises me anymore.....

Strangest error yet on 9242

This is just plain odd.

Technician activates the 9242, leave Mr. in the lounge watching City TV HD, he runs off to hook up the Remote TV from Tuner 2's SD Coax output. No problems, he finds the Screen Saver, bouncing around on Channel 60. Sets up the TV returns downstairs, confirms the Remote control actually works Tuner 2. Customer is very happy.

Technician goes with Customer to Remote TV location to show him that all is working just fine, he tunes to the same channel as they were watching in the Lounge....."This is a Subscription Channel, call Express Vu to Authorize it", or whatever it says.....

Odd, works on Tuner 1 HD but not on Tuner 2 in SD....hmmmmm

Tries every channel on Tuner 2, all are the same, NONE are authorised.......

He spends almost an hour on the phone with Express Vu, after asking me and I was stumped. Express Vu tell him the receiver is defective, and that the customer now has to call in for a replacement.....Standard Practice. I say this is BS, tell him to install second 9242 I will take the heat, second unit worked perfectly.

I since talked to a Level 3 Tech at Express Vu who tells me and please do not shoot the messenger but he says the 9242 has 2 different Smart-card (chip) numbers tied to the receiver Number. First time I have heard of this build configuration at all, may be BS but still a very odd problem.

I thought it was a unique problem but just got off the phone with an Installation Company in Quebec, they have had 3 of these now.... So it looks like we, Express Vu Customers could be the beta testers for a new breed of receiver build configuration......

#83 ·
Folder view of recordings ?

9242 installed and working very well. I'm coming from MythTV (worked great, but just can't handle Canadian HD recording from ExpressVu), and really miss the 'Folder view'. With many shows recorded, it would be nice to see a list of shows, select the desired title, and then see a list of episodes.

Is this possible, or perhaps planned ?

#84 ·
FYI for 9242 owners- My short conversation with the bell rep.

Thank you for your patience.
You are now chatting with Bell.
Bell: Hello! Thank you for visiting bell.ca, how may I help you today?
Me: I see that you have a new HD PVR plus how is this different from my current 9200 PVR
Bell: I'll be pleased to help you with this.
Bell: The 2 main differences are that the 9242 model doesn't absolutely require a HDTV and it has a 200 recording capacity.
Me: I also see that it has an ethernet and usb connection in the back. Are these functional? Can I connect it to my computer?
Bell: No, so far, they are useless. Our IT department is working on it for possible future use.
Me: I know that the US version allows for connection to a pocket Dish player, any plans for this in Canada?
Bell: Unfortunately nothing is revealed so far or any stipulations.
Me: Is the rental on the new unit the same as the out going 9200?
Bell: Yes, it's the same price (20$/month).
Me: Thank you. You have been very helpful. Make sure you tell your boss we all want the ability to use those connections in the back to play on portable players. It would be nice to play my shows on ipod video or PSP like the americans can.
Bell: I'll forward your request to the concerned department.
Bell: My pleasure! Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?
Me: thanks, no you have answered all my questions. Bye
Belll: It's been a pleasure helping you out today! Thank you for choosing Bell and for using bell.ca for your self-serve solutions. Have yourself a great day!
Your chat representative has ended the chat session. We thank you for using this service and we hope we have answered all your questions.

#86 ·
Big time issue

So I recieved my reciever yesturday. The new HD PVR 9242.

first time starting up the reciever: error 05c2 there is a serious error with the hard disk.

I mentioned it to the installer, he says "oh yeah, they always do that, give it a day and it will go away". So I wait a few hours, and call bell, it is still giving that error and channels are changing really slowly and I keep losing either picture or sound. Each reset brings it back, for a moment or two. Leaving it for several hours on the bell channel doesn't fix it. Bell says unplug it for a few hours that should fix it. I do that, now I have 2 flashing red lights.

I have a new reciever on the way, but any suggestions?

#88 ·
I think your receiver is now a Boat Anchor.

Call Express Vu, tell them that it showed the Error.

If this was prior to activation, the installer should have replaced the unit, if AFTER activation, I am sad to say he did the right thing to leave it with oyou, but should have told the truth, which is, "You now have to call Express Vu and they will ship you a replacement".