Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Bell TV 9242 HD PVR Discussion thread

1M views 4K replies 709 participants last post by  jackching 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This discussion thread is for owners to discuss the new ExpressVu HD PVR when it becomes available.

I will update this thread when we have specs and details.

Any posts discussing when it will be available or from NON-owners will be deleted and the poster will receive an infraction.

Update: See Bev 9242 HD-PVR for details and for NON-owners to discuss.

Master Reset Link:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1361019#post1361019

Edit by 57 - 9242 User Guide:

http://support.bell.ca/_web/guides/tv/userguide/receiver/9242/9242_11(en).pdf

#30 ·
Just picked mine up tonight. Seems OK although no real reason to upgrade my 9200 at this point.

Anyone know what the ethernet port on this thing is for? I'm guessing its just disabled? Maybe i'll plug it in and try to hit it with my web browser or something......might have slingbox functionality.....yeah yeah dream on.

#33 ·
Another potential use for the ethernet port is large scale backup.
WesternDigital makes a 1TB backup drive that connects either with USB2, FireWire800 or Ethernet.
So who knows?

#34 ·
Just replaced my 9200 with a 9242, everything is hooked up and updated, seems fine so far. I like the default 'All HD' favorite list, saves me from maintaining one myself.

Anyone else replace a 9200 and have any luck moving PVR recordings from the old unit to the unit?

#36 ·
EDV

My one minor concern about the 9242, which I could not reference in the manual, is the output audio levels.
I pass-through the audio from TV to the Stereo system, and I find that the audio level is very high from the PVR....so much so that I have to have the volume knob of my stereo at almost zero...the tiniest volume adjustment on the stereo increases the output dramatically.
It would be nice to scale back the audio level from the PVR so that I could use my volume control more precisely.
Anyone else notice this?
What audio input are you feeding on your 'Stereo'? If it's an older amplifier it may have a highly amplified input for a Magnetic Cartridge turntable. These inputs will create the symptom you describe.

#37 ·
Why oh Why Bell did you put that friggin lousy big ass sticker on the top of the 9242? You knew people would try to remove it did you not? Instead of the warning about shock or whatever it was.... it should have read:

"CAUTION!**CAUTION! If you try to remove this sticker be prepared to spend the next 6 hours straight trying to get all the bits of sticker and goo off the reciever. In fact, nothing short of nail polish remover, SOS pads, and finally the BLOWTOURCH will remove this sticker. CAUTION!**CAUTION!"

:mad::mad::mad: Yes i actually did bust out the blowtourch on this thing......was the only thing that worked. lol

#39 ·
LOL, I knew i came here for the entertainment value.....

I saw the big ugly sticker and quickly found something to put on top. I suspect the sticker was put there by the manufacturer, not by Bell.

#40 ·
PVR recording on 9242

Hello I am new to this forum so please forgive me if I posted something already discussed, I could not find it. When I record shows sometimes, it will not always record the whole show it will cut out in the middle of the program etc. Does anyone know why. I have the latest software.

Mike H, thanks.

#41 · (Edited)
moved and deleted some posts

AS NOTED IN POST #1 See the Bev 9242 HD-PVR for details and for NON-owners to discuss.

This thread is for owners only to DISCUSS their use of the unit.

#43 ·
Back feed issues

Maybe I am missing a setting somewhere, but I have my 9242 hooked up to my SXRD with HDMI outputting 16:9, and am using the backfeed coax to go to my other tvs around the house. The problem is that when the 9242 sends out the SD images, the picture is smaller (bars, left and right) than a normal SD image. I assume the issue is that it upconverts to 1080i, and then back to 480i for the coax.
Is there a way to have the SD stuff pass through the unit and only HD content upconverted to 1080I? It is completely unwatchable.

#44 ·
Well, I'm a 9242 owner so I don't know why my post was moved!
Sigh. Because this thread is for owners to discuss the use of the unit and help each other out with any issues. The fact that Dish has a similar unit etc is not relevant to this thread. That is why the other post is there.

#45 ·
Yes, HD channels look awful on the TV2 output. You'd need to zoom (format buttom) to get it to fit the screen.
Stick to the SD channels for TV2 and they look just like SD should.

I gave up on TV2 output and got a reciever for each TV. :)

#52 ·
Funny, I find the picture quality of the HD channels on my TV2 to be nothing short to outstanding. Actually, I am so satisfied that I am not planning on getting a HDTV for the master bedroom anymore. I have never liked the way SD looks on a HDTV.

I mostly watch HD content in the basement (with an HD80 front projector) and now is a big plus to have access to the HD channels (and recordings) on my SDTV in the master bedroom where I watch TV 60% of the time.

I am using a 27" Panasonic Flat Screen CRT TV connected to the composite TV2 output of the 9242. HD channels look as clear as 480p DVD's look via component. SD channels look the same as my old 3100 connected via S-Video.

I am very satisfied with the 9242.

#47 ·
I don't think anyone has mentioned the new recording options on the 9242. So far, I've found:

• Under Timers, there is new Manual Timer option, allowing you to set the time & date manually as well as Type, Frequency and duration.
  • VuPass now has options to 'Set Resolution', 'Set Frequency'. The first one allows you to choose HD Preference, HD only or SD only.
  • VuPass has a nicer summary screen showing all the settings you've chosen before creating the timer.
  • There are HD logos over everything that's HD, including your timers.
  • I'm not sure if this is new, but if you hit the record button, then Options, you can Stop Recording, Extend End Time, Create Recurring Timer, and record entire event. Does the 9200 have that!?
Those are the only differences I've noticed so far, well, except that the PVR buttons on the remotes are now colored purple, green, grey, yellow and blue ;)

-Mike

#49 ·
I don't think anyone has mentioned the new recording options on the 9242. So far, I've found:

• Under Timers, there is new Manual Timer option, allowing you to set the time & date manually as well as Type, Frequency and duration.
The 9200 has the same feature.

• I'm not sure if this is new, but if you hit the record button, then Options, you can Stop Recording, Extend End Time, Create Recurring Timer, and record entire event. Does the 9200 have that!?
The 9200 has that too.

#51 ·
I've gotten a 9242 to replace my rented 9200, switched all my cables from the 9200 to the 9242, but now every once in a while when I watch the second TV (on TV2), there's a constant clicking noise. That never happened to me with the 9200. It's not channel related (it even happens when the screen saver is on). It's not TV related, only that channel has it. Sometimes it's fine, but other time it clicks, it drives me nuts. Anyone ever have this problem? Anyone know what the problem may be? Does not happen on TV1.

#55 ·
Watching SD channels on main TV and backfeed TV2

When I watch SD channels on my HDTV, I choose NORMAL,which supposedly provides a 4:3 image on my 16:9 screen (black bars on the side). When I watch the identical channel (553 Treehouse, I have a 16 month old) on the coax feed of my std. def. tvs, the channel still has black bars and I have to use the '*' button to stretch the image to fit the screen, which stretched the SD imageto full screen on my HDTV.

I'm not sure why there should be a difficulty sending the SD image out on the coax feed

#385 ·
When I watch SD channels on my HDTV, I choose NORMAL,which supposedly provides a 4:3 image on my 16:9 screen (black bars on the side). When I watch the identical channel (553 Treehouse, I have a 16 month old) on the coax feed of my std. def. tvs, the channel still has black bars and I have to use the '*' button to stretch the image to fit the screen, which stretched the SD imageto full screen on my HDTV.

I'm not sure why there should be a difficulty sending the SD image out on the coax feed
This is an old post I'm quoting (from November) but I was wondering if anybody knew a way around this for TV2? I'm using single mode on the receiver because I really like having the PVR recordings happening on a tuner that is much harder to interupt.

I have this set up on my 6100- so losing this ability is a huge step backwards, imo.

#60 ·
Stan_Dev,
i completely understand how we are running these differently, my issue is that I believe that if the output is set to NORMAL, 16:9. The HDTV should show a 4:3 image with vertical side bars, when this is sent to the SD TVs through the Coax, I would think it should fill the 4:3 not have vertical bars, and need to be "stretched" to look proper.
I just though maybe something was wrong in my system, but apparently not.

thanks,
Rob

#58 ·
ExpressVu has been kind enough to provide me with a 9242 for the next several months. It's being installed as I type this.

I have not had an ExpressVu receiver for several years (had a 3100,4700, 5100 and 6000) and have been using the Rogers SA 8300HD for the last two years so this will be a very interesting comparision as they will both be hooked up to my 1080p projector.

#59 ·
Got my 9242 setup yesterday that I picked up during the BB sale (couldn't resist that price point). I didn't think I would like the black finish but now that its sitting next to one of my 9200's I can say that the black definitely blends in better!

Of course I was dreading the activation call to Bell last night, but to my utter shock I had the receiver activated in less than 5 min. I even checked the call timer on my phone to be sure!!

Thank goodness for DPP tech though, as I now have 4 dual tuner receivers in my house. Good luck doing that with legacy hardware.

In all, I am impressed with the unit. As mentioned earlier, I like the HD labeling and the option to only record in HD. I do find my 9200 that I purchased on the first day of release to be a little snappier moving through the guide and tuning channels.

#61 ·
I just though maybe something was wrong in my system, but apparently not.
Yep. In Single mode, the feed to the TV1 outputs is mirrored exactly the same to the TV2 outputs. After all, you might have a 16:9 TV hooked up to one of the TV2 outputs -- it can't tell. (Yeah, it would have been better if they had provided a menu option to allow you to specify the aspect ratio of TV2, like they have for TV1.)

#62 ·
Been a while without Bev. What button do I press on the remote to toggle through the various channel menu's? (i.e./ All CHAN, ALL SUB and the user created Ones)