9200 Questions for those looking to buy or rent - Page 14 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #196 of 393 (permalink) Old 2005-09-16, 09:35 AM

Suggest you read this before you jumpt into the water
http://www.paddy3.com/PVR9200.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #197 of 393 (permalink) Old 2005-09-16, 10:00 AM
Q
Veteran

padito,

I don't understand why you were not receiving HD.

Was it not installed correctly?
Was the programming not coming through?
Was the settings set correctly on the 9200?

Joe
post #198 of 393 (permalink) Old 2005-09-16, 02:49 PM

Padito

Are you saying that you receive no programs that fill your widescreen, like CSI or other Network primetime programs?
It sounds more like what you are describing is receiving a 4:3 SD broadcast over an HD channel as opposed to a 16:9 HD broadcast. The problem that you can't stretch this is more of a limitation of the 9200 than a faulty 9200. More than likely your TV has the ability to stretch the broadcast but in doing so wether with the 9200 or with your TV you are either cutting off some of the show or you are distorting the actual picture, although some TV's like my Toshiba have very good stretch modes. These programs were shot in 4:3 and by stretching them you will, for example, make skinny people look fatter.
Many people like to stretch this 4:3 material because it eliminates the chance of burning in the black bars onto your screen, but as far as I know not all TVs are prone to burn in, for example LCD's.
Although many programs aren't shot with HD cameras yet there is still an advantage of having the SD broadcast come over the HD channel and that is that the HD channels have more bandwidth than an SD channel and many people feel they get a sharper picture.
post #199 of 393 (permalink) Old 2005-09-16, 10:20 PM

In regards to the 9200/9220 having to be hooked up to the phone line, is that just for the initial 1 time installation or is that a permanent thing?

I plan on getting 2 of these guys (perhaps 3) but I can't have a phone line hooked up to more than 1 of these guys at any given time.
I could easily initialize (one time startup) each receiver from the same TV that is right beside a phone line, but some of the rooms these receivers will be going into doin't have a phone line...

Thanks

JC
post #200 of 393 (permalink) Old 2005-09-20, 02:28 PM

Arrow

The phone line is only required to order PPV. EV may call you about once a year and ask you to supply your receivers' location ID when you have multiple receivers that are not connected to a phone line. Otherwise, they should work fine.
post #201 of 393 (permalink) Old 2005-09-21, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Want_My_HDTV
The phone line is only required to order PPV. EV may call you about once a year and ask you to supply your receivers' location ID when you have multiple receivers that are not connected to a phone line. Otherwise, they should work fine.
Perfect thanks for the info.

I will be adding 3 HD PVR's and 1 regular 4100 but I only have 1 phone line in these viewing locations so I was hoping I only needed to hook up a phone line to our "home theatre" room, the one room where we actually would order PPV's.

Thanks for the info.
post #202 of 393 (permalink) Old 2005-09-22, 11:25 AM

I just got of the phone with Bell CSR and she told me that 9220 can be sold only to new Customer.
She said that Future shop BestBuy...have only 9220 and not 9200 so even if I would like to by the 9220 for 568 instead of the 9200 for 599 from Bell.
She said she would credit me 30 to make me happy but the thing is that I wanted to take advantage of the VIP weekend at futureshop extra 50$ that's not bad!

Of course I missed my chance with the 100$ rebate last week but what can I do about that!

So is it tru that 9220 can be sold only to new customer?
post #203 of 393 (permalink) Old 2005-09-23, 01:28 AM

I am a new member so I can't start a thread.....probably a good thing.

I have a couple questions I need answered quick. I think I am going to buy a reciever tomorrow as I found a 9220 in the city...amazing really.

I need to know a couple quick things to settle on it. I hope you can all help a NooB and a new (starting tomorrow maybe) bell subscriber.

From my finished basement I have a single cable going upstairs to the bedroom where I want to hook up a 5900 i think it is.

In the basement I have a single line going to where my HDTV is where my 9220 will be (Mans Room). I can't run a second line to either location. so my question is this.

1) does the 5900 have 2 tuners (I honestly could not find in my quick info rumaging, an answer on this)

2)if it does, does it require to lines to feed it?

2.5) how much does it cost per additional reciever? the bell FAQ sucks and I could not find info on this. Or is it free?

3) does the 9220 require two lines....if it does can the line be split like it should be as it comes out of the wall just before the reciever? even though it may also need this at the other reciever in my master bedroom?

I don't know if this makes sense. I have seen the diagrams on the install page for the 9220, but none of those fit. I can run 2 lines from the sat no problem....(I assume) into my basesment where all the cables then split off to their respective rooms.....but because it's finished I honestly can't run 2 lines to each TV. i want to get the most out of this, so if this is workable that would be great.

I assume I run 2 lines from the dish to the basement....easy enough, then hook one to the line going to the basement tv....and as it comes out of the wall to the TV itself I put in that splitter deal to feed both inputs on the back. Then I would do the same thing with the second line from the dish directly to the line going to the 2nd floor bedroom and have it split just as it comes out of the wall. Please tell me this is how it will work....because I don't really think I have any other options. If I don't need two feeds for the 5900 then I guess that makes it simple.

One final question. Please tell me if all this splitting stuff is included in the Instal. I think mine will be free anyhow....but if they will make it all work then that's a load off my mind.

Sorry for all the questions. but I do need these answers and I don't have time to pick through this forum. As informative as it is, it's huge...and I need this info asap.

Thanks so much in advance for the help. Seems to be a good place for questions.

Tim
post #204 of 393 (permalink) Old 2005-09-23, 08:36 AM

1) I'm prety sure the 5900 as only 1 tunner.

2.5)Its free, you can have as many receiver as you want to.

3)You need 2 lines comming straigh from the SW44 switch for the 9200 alone. The SW44 switch is normaly install outside with the dish.

[B]The Free install include the installation of only 1 receiver. It's 50$ per extra cable the installer will run. I would guess that if you purchase a 9200 the installer would run 2 lines since it's needed for the receiver to work...

You can't split 1 line into 2 receivers with your normal Wall plate.
The only way you can do that is with SW21 or SW44 switch and for that you need to use all 4 line from your Dish.

The SW21 will take the 4 lines from your LNB(DISH) and convert them into 2 Lines that you can run into your House you will then be able to have 2 receiver in your Home.

The SW44 Will use the 4 lines from the LNB(DISH) and give you 4 Lines that you can Run into your house so you can have 4 receivers.

If you decide to get a 9200 the SW44 that come with the receiver will allow you to have a total of 3 receiver on the same Dish but you will still need to run 4 cable into your house since your 9200 require 2 lines.
post #205 of 393 (permalink) Old 2005-09-23, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnumb
In the basement I have a single line going to where my HDTV is where my 9220 will be (Mans Room). I can't run a second line to either location. so my question is this.

Thanks so much in advance for the help. Seems to be a good place for questions.

Tim
If you really can't run a second line to the 9200 receiver I would highly recommend getting a Dishpro Plus Twin Lnb which would allow you to run 1 line that can be split to feed both inputs on the 9200. Unfortunately the installer will not be able to supply this equipment as Bell does not officially support it. I think the thread on the various installation options for the 9200 would be helpfull in your case.
post #206 of 393 (permalink) Old 2005-09-24, 11:43 AM

Okay to buy previously returned 9220?

Hi there,

I'm a long time reader of this forum but this is my first post so please excuse me if I ask silly questions.

I was in the process of buying a 9220 yesterday but the sales person had trouble registering the receiver on BEV's on-line Prism registration page. The reason was that the 9220 was previously purchased and returned (unopened...I think). However, when the box was returned the shop did not un-register it and therefore the sales person could not re-register it. Therefore, I had to either wait a couple of weeks for a new box or wait until the sales person spoke with his BEV's rep in order to the get the box un-registered. Late last night I got a call from the sales person and he was unable to un-register the box after speaking with his BEV rep.

Is there any concerns with purchasing this "new" box? I did check most of the contents of the box before I left the store and found everything in tact, i.e. receiver, cables, remotes, HDMI adapter, SW44 switch & power inserter, batteries, etc. However, I did notice only 1 dual LNB was loosely stored in the 9220 receiver box (it didn't look damaged or anything). I assume the other dual LNB is packaged with the actual dish box (I will of course check before purchasing). Are both dual LNBs suppose to be in the same box? If so, is there a chance that the person who bought it and returned it actually switched a broken part?

Thanks.

idaman
post #207 of 393 (permalink) Old 2005-09-24, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaman
Are both dual LNBs suppose to be in the same box? If so, is there a chance that the person who bought it and returned it actually switched a broken part?

Thanks.

idaman
No the one LNB is in the dish box and the other is in the receiver box. If the seal was broken on the 9200 box I would take a close look at the loose LNB and look for weather cosmetics wear.

As the receiver was returned it was not activated as BEV does not allow you to return once activated.

Alt
post #208 of 393 (permalink) Old 2005-09-25, 01:00 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I did go for the 9220 and a 5900 as a second reciever in the bedroom.

Good times. Your help was appreciated!

Mag
post #209 of 393 (permalink) Old 2005-09-25, 08:40 AM

"...1 dual LNB was loosely stored in the 9220 receiver box..."

Same thing with mine. One LNBF was neatly packaged, the other was tossed in.
post #210 of 393 (permalink) Old 2005-09-29, 12:18 PM

Which connectors output the best picture quality? Component or the HDMI? Has anyone tried both of them and noticed a difference between the two?

Last edited by functor; 2005-09-29 at 12:30 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.