Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

BELL TV 9400 Internal Hard Drive Replacment Troubleshooting Thread

29K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Mossey 
#1 · (Edited)
I would like to dedicate this thread to the 9400 Internal Hard Drive replacement procedures, hardware and troubleshooting.

I will try to update the main post with all the important information collected.

Error 311
https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ap6xKUhTohqFqm3pAw666VjIoI3U

An issue has been detected that may affect your ability to record or pause live TV.
Unplugging the power cord of your receiver for one minute and then re-plugging may resolve the issue.
If you continue to see this message, please contact Technical Support at 1 888 759 3474
Reference: 05b1

Error 024
https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ap6xKUhTohqFqm6yvg3jxExzSaG8

Unable to access this feature at this time. Data not available

See less See more
#2 ·
So the drive in the 9400 is:
Seagate, Part Number 9GW144-264
Pipeline HD .2 1TB
SATA 3.0 Gbps
5900 rpms
3.5"

ST1000VM002 works in the 9400. I have tested it. From PEANO
It should format the drive when you power up the receiver.
BestBuy has the ST1000VM002 as do many other online retailers including Software City and newegg

Someone is selling Toshiba Replacement HD's for the 9400 as well. Not sure if they are right sized?

http://www.**********/v-electronics...ve/1166745019?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

#3 ·
I found this out there . Have a look if it will help you recover a bad Hard Drive

Manual formatting procedure :
Accessing the memory dump screen:
Press Menu, 6 (System Setup), 3 (Diagnostics).
Within 5 seconds press Info, Browse, Theme.

Clear NVRAM:
<<You should be at the Memory Dump screen.>>
Press TV/Video.
A different screen will pop up telling you that you have erased the NVram.
Then just press the power button on the receiver.
You will lose all favorites, timers and customized settings.

Format HDD:
Press Play, Play, Recall
You will lose all recordings!

#4 ·
So the drive in the 9400 is:
Seagate, Part Number 9GW144-264
Pipeline HD .2 1TB
SATA 3.0 Gbps
5900 rpms
3.5"

I was looking at Canada Computes and they have, for $60:
Item Code: HDSG002093 Part Number: ST1000DM003
Seagate Desktop HDD 1TB 3.5" SATA3 64MB Cache OEM Hard Drive (ST1000DM003)
Brand Seagate
Type Desktop Drives
Series Barracuda
Model ST1000DM003
Form Factor 3.5"
Capacity 1TB
Interface SATA 6Gb/s
Buffer Size 64MB
Average Latency 4.16ms
Rotational Speed 7200RPM
Height 146.99mm
Depth 20.17mm
Width 101.6mm

Does anyone know if this will be compatible?
-------
There appears to be a more compatible model for $83 at Canada Computes, model number ST1000VM002...it is listed as VIDEO 3.5 HDD on Seagate's Data Sheets..

Only differences that I can see are that is has a 64Mb cache, current HD has only 16Mb. It is 6.1mm thinner, and 200g lighter...all other specs are the same. It also states that these used to be called "Pipeline HD" so in essence it is the newer model of the three year old drive in my PVR...think I will get this one unless someone can tell me that it won't work...

Would also like some advice on what happens when the new drive is installed and I start it up...???

----------------------------
The model number to exactly match one of the ones on the list. Even a different version number and it won't work. It has nothing to do with the specs. I think the model numbers are coded into the software and if it doesn't match it doesn't go.
------------------------------
ST1000VM002 works in the 9400. I have tested it.
----------------------
Now Canada Computers is saying that the drive I have ordered is now discontinued or Not Available...they are offering the Seagate ST1000VX001 as the replacement...anyone try this or know if it is compatible?
Not likely.
------------------------------------

BestBuy has the ST1000VM002 as do many other online retailers including Software City and newegg.
-------------------

#7 ·
I just got the replacement drive from tigerdirect.ca

some differences noted on the drive
FW version is different.
label name is different.

see photo.
after installation it didn't see the drive and I had same error so I performed the manual format listed above and it worked.

Manual formatting procedure :

Clear NVRAM:
Press TV/Video.
A different screen will pop up telling you that you have erased the NVram.
Then just press the power button on the receiver.
You will lose all favorites, timers and customized settings.

Format HDD:
Press Play, Play, Recall
You will lose all recordings!

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ap6xKUhTohqFskf7lcggKCgl-Qxt

#8 · (Edited)
So my pvr is working and I consider this closed for me. If you have other HDs that work, please post the model #'s

I don't see why other HD wouldn't work, but I am not about to try other drives out as I don't have the resources . lol

However, for fun, if I do have a spare HD I may try to put it in and see if it works.

thanks

#15 ·
My 9400 hard drive died so I ordered an ST1000VM002 from Amazon (https://www.amazon.ca/Seagate-Video-3-5-Inch-ST1000VM002-Black/dp/B0086R7MDM). While waiting for this drive to arrive tried a WD Green 1TB drive but it didn't work. Both are standard SATA drives but the 9400 seems to want this Seagate model which is not manufactured anymore and replaced by ST1000VN002. Didn't take a chance buying the newer model but maybe its ok too. When powered on with the ST1000VM002 drive, no messages came up about having to setup a new drive , it just worked like the old one.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPb8V63pbk6re-0xec3aJ66cvmbA2KhT9v1alZE

#16 ·
"Green" drives often don't work in a PVR because they "spin down" when not active and the PVR will not spin them up again properly. Many PVRs require either a purple, black, blue or red drive to function properly.

Sometimes it's possible to connect a green drive to a computer and delete the "green" firmware that makes them spin down.

#17 ·
After putting it off for a year I finally swapped my Hard Drive out after the price dropped to $60. I didn’t even have to format it as it was recognized immediately upon start up. I’m thinking I’ll buy another HDD as a spare at that price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 ·
Thanks for all the posts gents.

A Buddy of mine has a Dead PVR function on his 9400 (024 Error Screen as posted earlier) so I've ordered a Seagate 1 TB Video HDD Sata 5900 RPM 64 MB 3.5-Inch ST1000VM002 Hard Drive (as listed in this thread as a "good" one from Amazon for $80. ($76.99 total delivered => Shipping and handling was $36.99 => the HD was only $40. )

The inside of the PVR was pristine. I'll swap in the HD and hope it works!

#21 · (Edited)
I have a Bell 9400 receiver that shows error code 311. I presume the hard drive has failed and I'm hoping to replace it.

I've removed the original (failed) hard drive, which is a Toshiba DT01ABA100V. The only place I've been able to locate a new one is Walmart on-line, price is about $105 tax in and free delivery. Nowhere else that I've inquired has it, ie: newegg, Canada Computers, tiger direct etc.

As a point of interest I also inquired whether Seagate ST100VM002 is available, and it is generally not, although I did locate some refurbished ones on-line from China for around $80 or so.

My question is, my local Canada Computers says they do have a Western Digital Purple # HDWEE00050 available in stock for about $70 tax in. Will this work, either as a plug n play or with simple formatting procedure as described previously in this thread ? Or will it not work at all? As some time has passed since this thread was created, does anyone know of any "other" currently available hard drive that will easily work?

Since I'm somewhat tech-challenged, my inclination is to spend the $105 and order the OE Toshiba / direct replacement at Walmart. But if I can save $35 by getting the in stock WD Purple I would go that route as long as the WD will work and is not difficult to format.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.

#22 ·
I just replaced the HDD in my 9400 and the ST100VM002 I used as a replacement worked right off the hop. I was surprised that the drive I removed was also a Seagate ST31000424C8 but I could not find any info on this drive anywhere. It was the same length and width as a regular HD and about 1" thick like a normal HDD, but the replacement drive was only 3/4" thick. Never seen a drive like this! Are all ST100VM002 drives this size?