Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Should I switch to 9400 from 9242?

22K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  reidw 
#1 ·
I will be receiving two PVR's in the next day or so which will be replacing a 9242 and a 6141 which became defective. I will be receiving one 9400 and one 9242. Currently my PVR (9242) is in my main viewing area, and the 6141 is in our bedroom. Would you suggest using the 9400 in my main viewing area or just switch out the 9242 for the same model. Thanks.

#4 ·
Yes you need an Antenna for the OTA Tuner to work.

The 9400 would be my choice for the bedroom, as it is much quieter than the 9242.

You can always get an external drive and move it between them if you recorded it on the 9242, then just take the EHD to the bedroom and use it on the 9400.

#5 ·
I second the Bell 9400. This is my main viewing device as well. Yeah it does not have Picture in Picture, TV2 Out and off the air Antenna input like the 9242, but it does have IP Video On Demand which I do make frequent use of and find that the IP VOD is very smooth and works well and its also very quiet and compact. If I knew any better, I would have ordered 2 9400 receivers back then but I didn't.

#12 ·
It's a widely used acronym for Internet Protocol Video On Demand. It was first used by Dish network in the states to offer Video On demand content on the receiver connected to a customers broadband internet. Bell has something similar.

#16 ·
I use both...I find the 9400 to be an awesome receiver...lots of recording space...nice picture and sound.

The 9242 has pic in pic which I really wish was on the 9400 and it does have the OTA capabilities...which I have now moved to the TV itself.

The main thing I hate about the 9242 is that it's very loud and if you need to restart it...it takes a while.

#17 ·
For me there is no option but to stick with the 9242 as long as it continues to work (9200 swapped out by Bell in 2011). Only the 9242 has the second TV feature which we use daily. The second TV is sitting on high dresser/cabinet and nearly touches the ceiling. There is no place on the cabinet or the top of the TV to easily accommodate a second Bell receiver. I'm going to be investing in new furniture as well as a new receiver when the 9242 finally breaks down.

One more thing. The 9242 also lets me watch HD TV programs on the second TV (480i) as well. That is a feature I've used many times when the HD TV (TV1) has been in use in the Media Centre and I've wanted to see a previously recorded program.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.