Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

HDMI "connect" triggering 9242 infinite reboot

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  colinpeddle 
#1 ·
Hi

I see a few threads started years ago on the infinite reboot issue, but nothing seems to describe my problem.

I have a 9242 connected to my Onkyo amp via HDMI. When I power on my Onkyo, sometimes, not always, but most times, my 9242 starts rebooting.

If I turn off the Onkyo or disconnect the 9242's HDMI cable, the rebooting stops.

If I turn on the 9242 before turning on the Onkyo, sometimes the 9242 doesn't reboot.

If I stop the rebooting and leave the 9242 on for some time, which varies from minutes to hours, eventually I can connect the HDMI and it doesn't reboot.

I tried changing the HDMI cable and changing the Onkyo port.

Then I tried a powered HDMI splitter, which also triggers the reboot even if nothing is connected to the splitter's Output port. So it doesn't seem to be specifically the Onkyo at issue.

Once I get the thing to stop rebooting with HDMI connected, it works perfectly fine the rest of the day. But it shuts itself off for the nightly update, so it's the same thing almost every day.

I'm assuming I'm probably hooped, but figured I'd ask for help first.

Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
#6 ·
Yes, they call it RIHD, and it is off. Although as I mentioned I am able to get the reboot cycle using another HDMI device without having the Onkyo connected in any way.

Since the time of Voodoocobra's suggestion I have been using the component video cables instead of HDMI, and no reboots have occurred. This was the easiest suggestion for me to implement, and it seems like as good a solution as any.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.