Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

replacing HDMI port on 9242

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  The_Penguin 
#1 ·
Hey guys
I searched in the form, but can't keep to find anything on this--my 9242 has a broken pin on its hdmi pot/input, meaning that HDMI no longer works-it happened due to a bad cord being jammed in there by the wife. My question is this--is it remotely possible, for someone with the skill and tools to replace the HDMI input? I see that it is soldered the board directly... seems like a damn shame to phase out such a popular (and still valuable) IRD, simply because it can no longer do HD...

#2 ·
yes I think anyone with surface mount soldering skills/experience can replace the connector. Question is where they would obtain a suitable replacement part from?
Possible to find someone selling a non-functional unit to use as a donor. take two units
to make one that works 100%.

#6 ·
Someone with good surface mount skills should be able to do it. I found a replacement HDMI connector for an Onkyo receiver at Digikey.ca
Unfortunately my surface mount technique was a bit lacking (these connectors are very fine pitch) and I damaged the board.
The metal shell of the connector was being stubborn and I pulled a bit too hard with pliers, not realizing some of the other pins had cooled too much, and ripped them off the board.

#8 ·
The metal shell of the connector was being stubborn and I pulled a bit too hard with pliers, not realizing some of the other pins had cooled too much, and ripped them off the board.
Next time look in to this stuff. Works like a champ. The secret to it is that with their flux applied, it remains liquid form for much longer, and at lower temperature.Thus giving you sufficient time to manipulate the part in question. It's expensive, but well worth it and still takes practice.
Chip Quik - SMD Removal Kit (Chip Quik Alloy 2.5ft, flux, alcohol pads) lead free

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.