Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Difficulty getting new PVR

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  rsmutch 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,

My 6 year old 9241 died last week, freezes and reboots even after removing the hard disk. I started on a process to replace it with the 9400 and I am facing some obstacles.

- I went to visit 5 different Bell stores and they all told me they don’t carry satellite PVRs anymore and I should call customer service.
- I called customer service and they told me they can ship a new one, but it comes with a $75 installation charge and a technician.
- So i tried “The Source” previously Radio Shack, and they have some in stock but they are practically 3 years old.

Are these PVRs being phased out? Bell made it sound I was the only one left using satellite and I should migrate to Fibe.

I’m just finding it hard to believe that this is the normal process everyone goes through to replace a PVR….any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

thanks, michael

#2 ·
With bell fibe is the same story. When I wanted to purchase additional wireless receiver I could not buy it at any Bell or The Source stores as none of them had it in stock. The only way to order it was by calling Bell Fibe and paying installation fee.
For some reason Bell does not want to sell hardware in stores anymore.

#4 ·
Thanks for your answers

I am pretty sure that they are controlling the distribution of the boxes, the guy at The Source told me he hasn't received new ones in a couple of years. It's strange that there are some places with so many available, not sure why.

The only thing that sort of raised a flag for me was that on the box of the 9400 it said only 200 hours of SD recording, whereas on the bell site it states 500 hours. Not sure if the old ones had smaller drives, or it is purely because bell changed the recording encoding.

I'll probably go through Bell and have it delivered with a tech.

Thanks,

#5 ·
Fibe is not yet everywhere. It certainly isn't available in my neighbourhood here in PEI. Our two nearby local Sources have 9400's in stock. I suspect that the level of availability of Fibe has a direct relationship to how much local stores are allowed to sell alternate equipment.

#6 ·
Don't worry about what the box says. You'll definitely get 150hrs HD record time. I think things must be different here out west as there are lots available in store. Lots of competition here as I usually can get 6400's for $99 and 9400's for $275 with some shopping around. I'd never buy any receiver from Bell directly.

#8 ·
In need of new PVR

Hi,

I am not technically inclined, so please bare with my questions....thanks. And my first post, so I hope it's ok in this thread.

I have an old 5900 PVR that just quit. I am looking at replacing it with the 9400 HD PVR. Bell is somewhat willing to provide one for free but not without a tech install ($)...although it does say on it's website that with existing customers it is "recommended", it is "required" with a rental....so free, is really not free:)

I am only interested in the PVR capabilities, not interested in upgrading/paying for HD (however my TV will accept HDMI)

My present set up is a coaxial cable from the satellite dish, RCA cables to one TV and another coaxial cable out to a TV in another room. I used the UHF capability of the 5900.

1) Will the 9400 be able to be set up as the 5900 was? coaxial input and output? another output (RCA)?
2) Does it "require" 2 satellite inputs? Dual tuner is not necessary
3) Is it UHF?
4) Does what I am looking for require a tech visit???
5) Would an external hard drive be a better option with the purchase of a regular receiver?

Thank you!

#9 ·
1. No. The 9400 does not have a Coaxial output on Channel 3/4.
2. No but you will almost certainly get a nag and you will have to change the default recording settings, as it is set to record from the 2nd Input.
3. No but it can be made to be UHF Pro, with the right Remote. Not certain that it ships with a UHF Pro Remote.
4. I would suggest yes, then you will get a DPP Twin LNBF and a DPP Separator behind the 9400, which will give you both Inputs, negating my answer in question 2. You would also get the Free HD Channels, via your HDMI Connection to the TV.
5. A 6400 with an External Drive is the closest thing for replacing a 5900. The advantage of the 9400, is that you can record 1 show whilst watching another.

#10 ·
As already stated, the 9400 will work with a single legacy LNB but it will not work well. Bell will install a new dish and DPP LNB at no extra cost (as part of the standard installation fee) so just go ahead and get it done. The 9400 will work much more reliably and all of its features will work correctly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.