Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

The new "Bell Satellite TV On-Demand"

35K views 52 replies 35 participants last post by  17671 
#1 ·
Looks like it's coming soon but only to 94xx receivers. So for the 9242 or 6xxx we're out of luck:

What is Bell Satellite TV On Demand and how do I use it? : What is Satellite TV On Demand?

Arrggg.... this really sucks as to watch on-demand with Bell we either need to use the sucky quality computer based old on-demand service (until that gets discontinued) or have a 94xx receiver. No AppleTV, Chromecast, or Roku apps as far as I can tell. Am I missing something?

I don't care to watch via a computer (please don't sell me on the merits of an HTPC) but this might finally be the straw that gets me to pull the plug on BTV once and for all after 15 years of service. Unless I'm overlooking something major??? What I really want is the Canadian equivalent of the US apps such as HBO GO where as long as you enter in your cable/sat account info, the apps are free, high quality, and work on TV devices including all three that I mentioned previously.

#29 ·
The 9242 probably does not have enough memory in it to support the on demand feature. It is, after all, several years older than the 9241, and memory was more expensive then, and manufacturers were only putting in enough to handle what was needed at the time.

#30 ·
Even thouh my 9242 is kinda old by todays standards and doesn't support the on demand im not upset one bit that they do not support this model. I do have a 9400 which has the ondemand added recently and I am very impressed with it and happy to use this feature! I have no issues with image quality.

#31 ·
It's just as likely that the supplier (Echostar) has dropped software support for the 9242 but not the 9241. In tech years, the 9242 is ancient. Bell's receivers are basically rebranded Dishnet receivers so support will be affected by which receivers Dishnet currently uses and supports. If Dishnet wants a feature, they will get it. If Bell wants a feature on a receiver that Dishnet does not currently use, they will be charged extra for the added development costs.

#32 · (Edited by Moderator)
Satellite TV on demand

Hello,

I am looking into subscribing to Bell Satellite TV and saw that they have on demand service for some of the channels etc. My question is, how is the on demand selection in comparison to cable ie Cogeco? Do they have AMC The Walking Dead like the last season? Any issues with the on demand service? Have they updated the tv guide? I used to have the 9400 pvr and the guide was nice and responsive but switched that out at our old house for Fibe. Is the new guide, if there is a new one, similar to fibe whhere it shows channel logos?

Thanks for all the assistance :)

JB

#34 ·
How long does it take for On Demand to recognize my subbed channels. I ask because I just installed the WiFi dongle and went through the setup fine but when I try and watch something it tells me to go onto the bell.ca site and subscribe. I Know I have access to the channels because I can view them on the Bell app. Does my receiver need time to verify my subbed channels before granting me access?

#39 ·
"Rock Idols" on demand

Enjoying the "Rock Idols" series on HBO Canada but have missed some, so went to On Demand and found the series after a search, went to play one and I get the message that go to bell.ca and subscribe to Corus tv to be able to watch this (or something to that effect) . Shouldn't I get to watch it on demand since it airs on HBO which I am subscribed to? Never hear of "Corus tv" Anyone?

Bob

#42 ·
Enjoying the "Rock Idols" series on HBO Canada but have missed some, so went to On Demand and found the series after a search, went to play one and I get the message that go to bell.ca and subscribe to Corus tv to be able to watch this (or something to that effect) . Shouldn't I get to watch it on demand since it airs on HBO which I am subscribed to? Never hear of "Corus tv" Anyone?
Do you live west of Ontario? HBO is packaged with Movie Central in Western Canada and The Movie Network (TMN) in Eastern Canada. Corus owns Movie Central. This will all change in early 2016 when Movie Central will shut down and Bell Media will take TMN and HBO Canada-wide. See: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/12-...national;-corus-winds-down-movie-central.html

It looks like the episodes will be repeated on TV on Dec. 26, if you can't get "On Demand' to work.

http://www.hbocanada.com/rock-icons/schedule.php

#44 ·
On Demand Picture Quality

Does the picture quality depend on your download speed from your internet provider? The quality of my On Demand is not that great. I notice a lot of pixelation, and I'd like to know if that's what everyone is seeing, or if it would go away if I got a faster download package from my provider (Shaw) ?

#45 ·
From the link in posts 1 & 38 of this thread:

To help you manage your Internet usage while viewing On Demand content, you can change the video quality settings.

Good quality – Usage will not exceed 1.7 GB/hour
Better quality – Usage will not exceed 2.5 GB/hour
Best quality – Usage will not exceed 4 GB/hour
The Best quality equates to roughly 9 mbps download speed (4,000,000,000 * 8 / 3600)

#51 ·
Experimented with CraveTV via my 9241 receiver last night. I don't get buffering but I do notice a tremendous degradation of the picture during faster moving scenes or during zoom ins or pan outs of the camera. It is not my internet because I have a 20 - 25 Mbps download speeds so it must be their upload, compression methods and/or processing by the receiver. I'll give it some time but if this doesn't improve I can't see myself spending a lot of time with this service on this platform.

#52 ·
I watch Crave thru my Apple TV on a >100mb connection thru Rogers. I get no buffering, and the picture is as clear as an OTA HD signal, so Crave is outputting an excellent signal, so maybe it is the 9241 that is causing issues. Shomi and Netflix are also excellent, with not one bit of buffering at all.

#53 ·
Surprisingly I have had the Bell Satellite TV On Demand for months now and have never experienced any issues with the video quality or buffering. I have it at the highest setting too. Mind you, I am not a heavy TV watcher, I usually watch 1-2 shows per week, and perhaps the TV shows/movies I watched didn't really have too many fast moving scenes or fast zoom ins/outs. But I will definitely keep my eyes open the next time I watch a movie or TV episode and take note of this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.