Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

HDMI issues

7K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  PaulH 
#1 ·
As a system integrator we install a lot of different products, we do use the Expressvu quite often but lately have had issues with HDMI sync. The 9400's keep losing the hdmi output and a reboot is the only way to get signal back. I called Bell today and was informed from tech support that we should use component cables and the problem will stop!!!!!!! Holy s@#t, are you kidding me!!!!! Using component cables for bell and try to integrate that into an hdmi matrixed house is almost impossible. Bell is making it easy for cable companies and Shaw Direct to take over some of their customers.

#3 ·
thanks for the link. However, the problem that I am having is specific to the 9400. The HDMI port becomes inactive if it does not see a hotplug signal. Most HDMI matrixes will turn off the input if it is not in use, this will cause the 9400 to internally shut off the hdmi output. Thus having to do a reboot of the unit...... as much as we would like to go back to wiring houses with component cable, that is not an option anymore. Any help would be appreciated!!!!! Thanks again1

#4 ·
The HDMI port is always active, even when the 9400 is switched off, as it displays the Screen Saver.

I have used an HDMI Splitter in the past when I was having odd problems with HDMI Signals, just used the INput and 1 OUTput of the splitter and it somehow fixed the problem, maybe it stripped some kind of data from the signal not sure.

#6 ·
@tatr09 it sounds like your problem is with the HDMI matrix. If you post the make and models that you have tried, then someone may be able to suggest an alternative.

Does the problem only occur with 9400s? What about other Bell boxes?

You mentioned that you successfully used a vanco splitter in the past, Does this still work?
Most HDMI matrixes will turn off the input if it is not in use, this will cause the 9400 to internally shut off the hdmi output.
Is there a way of disabling that feature?

EchoStar manufactures the hardware and writes the firmware for both Bell Satellite and DISH in the U.S. If you can find an HDMI matrix that works with DISH, it should also work with Bell.

#7 ·
I am encountering these same problems with my 9400. These problems started with the recent software upgrade to v358.

My main TV is connected to the 9400 via component cables with audio to my AVR. I have 2 smaller TVs, one in the bedroom and one in my basement office. These are connected to a Monoprice HDMI 1x4 powered splitter (product number 6192, purchased in 2012, since discontinued). The extension TVs worked well prior to the v358 upgrade. The only issue was the flashing green screen on power-on, but that cleared by switching channels on the 9400 a couple of times re-establish the handshake.

But since the v358 upgrade I'm getting the same problems described by tatr09. It seems the HDMI output from the 9400 gets shut off if the extension TVs are off. Powering-on a TV might activate the HDMI output, but usually there is no signal. Sometimes one extension TV will get a signal, but not the other. Sometimes a TV will get a signal after 3 or more power-cycles. A power-cycle of the HDMI splitter will usually re-establish the HDMI connection.

I'm working my way through "FAQ - HDMI Comments/Issues" but I'm not sure the answer is there. Ain't HDMI fun? :eek:

I could get a new HDMI splitter, but I'm not interested in buying-and-trying one splitter after another until I find one that works.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

(As an aside, the splitter worked flawlessly with my old 9241 before it crashed permanently earlier this year.)

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
PaulH, I have had some success with different products trying to maintain that hdmi sync, but nothing 100%! It seems that different 9400's react differently. Bell's answer to use component cables is a bit of a turn off but I should expect that from them. I will keep you informed if I can come up with a solid solution. Thx, Tatr09

#9 ·
Sorry to revive an old thread, but a new splitter seems to have solved the HDMI issues I described above. I replaced the old splitter with a Monoprice "Blackbird" 1 x 2, model 15258. I've been using it for several days now, and I've not had a single sync problem or any other issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.