Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Has anyone used the Satellite TV WiFi Adapter?

42K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  InaKeogh 
#1 ·
This thing -- http://www.bell.ca/Bell_TV/Products/VOD_Wireless_adaptater

I don't know what else it would do other than what I'm hoping it will, but for some reason I have some skepticism.

I have a 9241 PVR

I want to use the Bell Satellite TV App (on Apple devices) to control my PVR - ie. using my iPhone/iPad as a remote, as well as setting and managing Timers, etc.

Will it allow me to do all that?

#3 ·
Any wi-fi adapter would not work. Ones with the same chipset might. I suspect that Bell has already added support for this adapter.

The adapter will probably provide the same functionality as a wired internet connection. (I haven't used it personally.) That is simply to enable ordering of PPV on the PVR and the use of Bell Remote PVR and the remote PVR app. According to Bell's documentation, setting and managing timers is possible. Note that is uses the USB port so it might interfere with an external drive.

#5 ·
Not sure how the newer receivers are built but the USB ports on the 92xx series could not both be used at the same time. They appeared to be wired in parallel, not through an internal hub. (Nasty piece of cost cutting by the designers.) An external hub might work but I would need to try it. It does not work for supporting 2 hard drives so I have some doubts.

If running an ethernet cable is not an option, another way to do this would be to use a wireless router configured as a client or repeater and connect it to the PVR.

#6 ·
One caveat as to the remote control app, with my Fibe setup, it assumes I'm running a vanilla firewall setup. I don't. I have a hardware firewall and have issued my devices a different I.P. address segment than standard and don't use the Bell wireless so I am unable to use the remote control function. The scheduling of programs does work however.

#8 ·
I have a netgear wifi adaptor I was not using any more, plugged it into the back of my bell 9400, and it worked. I also checked the signal indicator to make sure I'm getting signal higher than 60% RSSI because I do not want mine to disconnect itself daily.

#9 ·
I purchased the Bell Satellite Wi-Fi Adapter and if you take a look at the back, it states that is a Netgear Adapter, therefore, I would assume that there are at least a few Netgear models with the same chipset that would work.

My adapter has only disconnected itself once since I purchased it one month ago and it happened right after updating the firmware to my wireless router. I reconnected the adapter and it connected instantly and that was 4 days ago and has not disconnected since, therefore I assume the update was the issue.

#16 ·
I'm looking to get a Satellite TV WiFi adapter. I read the following on the Bell.ca website:
You might be eligible for a free Internet connectivity device. Please continue to see if you qualify.
Does anyone know of any current Promo Codes that would allow a Satellite TV/Mobilty customer (outside of ON/QC) like me to get a complementary WiFi connectivity device?

#20 ·
Just some advice on Wifi adapters - Depending on where your box is located in relation to other equipment, the WiFi may not work anyways due to interference - I know my TV sends out enough interference that anything within 1-2 metres of it will not pick up any decent Wifi signal. I had hardwire my equipment that could use an internet connection if I wanted it all stored near my TV.

Test the strength with a smartphone or laptop to see if you can even get a decent signal before buying - even if your receiver can work with the adapter, the signal may be weak or unusable.

#24 ·
I use an older TP-LINK wireless N mini pocket router, model WR700N to provide wifi access to my 9400. There really isn't anything magical about it, no special BellTV compatibility issues. I set the WR700N in "client mode" which is effectively a wifi adapter. If you want to stream on-demand video you would probably want a newer version with better speeds.

#25 ·
Just about any router will work in client mode because it is connected using wired ethernet.

USB dongles have to be a supported device. Many WiFi dongles use similar or identical chips and designs. That's especially true of the cheap N150 2.4GHz dongles which have almost universal support. Chances are that a higher speed brand name dongle will not work because it will have a newer chip and design that is not supported.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.