Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Tips/tricks for 5x00 remotes

19K views 44 replies 28 participants last post by  Allan B 
#1 ·
Thought I would start a post for tips or little known tricks to get more out of your remote or 5x00 system. I have a 5800 system but assume they work for all 5x00 system remotes.

1. To quickly get a quide update, display the guide and then press the 30 sec skip ahead button once or twice to force an update. If it doesn't need an update, you will move ahead by 1 day in the guide with each press.

2. To quickly enter a program title in the search function, go to the guide and move to/hilite the program you want to search for. Press the # button and it will display the search screen with that program name.

You can also do this while viewing your list of recorded programs. Just move to a program in the list and press the # button.

#4 ·
Here's another one.

If you are watching a recorded event, and for whatever reason you want to return to whatever your live feed is, simply hit the "VIEW" button.

This will drop you to your live feed immediately. The conventional way that most people use requires several keystrokes like pushing your stop button, then hitting cancel a couple of times.

#5 ·
Another one I stumbled upon... if you want to see the very end of a recording, when you're on the info screen for that recording, just hit the "back 10 secs" button (don't know what the proper name for that is!)... saves you fast-forwarding through the whole thing.

Shneebs.

#6 ·
Phil said:
If you are watching a recorded event, and for whatever reason you want to return to whatever your live feed is, simply hit the "VIEW" button.
Just to forewarn people; I tried that the other day. Works as Phil mentions, but it also kills your buffer. So you can no longer back up a bit.

#7 ·
shneebs said:
Another one I stumbled upon... if you want to see the very end of a recording, when you're on the info screen for that recording, just hit the "back 10 secs" button (don't know what the proper name for that is!)... saves you fast-forwarding through the whole thing.

Shneebs.
I couldn't get it to work on the 5200 receiver........

Somtimes I use the star button (very bottom left hand corner) to go to recorded list. In the dark it can be usefull.

#8 ·
Time Left on Program

When watching a live or recorded program, if you want to know how much time is left before the program ends, press the "Cancel" button and it will give you some program information including the number of minutes left in the program.

By the way, I have now concluded that using the search function is a really bad idea in general. Every time I use this function I find that something later goes wrong with my PVR. Unless I'm desperate, I've pretty well decided to avoid this function altogether.

Anyone else find problems after using the search function?

#10 ·
shneebs said:

Shneebs.
I couldn't get this to work on my 5800 remote either...

Here's a tip I found in another thread that's very useful -
to avoid switching channels when you accidently press the ITV button (interactive button), which I seem to do alot since I sit on the remote all the time..

Lock and hide the iTV channel 275 (menu-5-2, lock channel 275,then select 8 to hide locked channels). When you accidently press the remote ITV button you'll get a prompt to unlock the channel. It wil not attempt to switch to channel 275.

#11 ·
shneebs said:

Shneebs.
Okay, well, it worked for me, but maybe the qualifier is that it worked for me *after* I had finished watching a program and it returned to the info screen for that particular recording... I'll try it again tomorrow and try and be more specific.... :)

Shneebs.

#17 ·
joedoe said:
Well...........I am assuming this but from above posts it looks like entering 2 digits in the guide will forward you that amount of hours. I would put that as a tip if it works.
joedoe:
You are correct there also. If your wish is to just advance your guide by a specific amount of time (anywhere between 1 and 44 hours), you would simply punch in the appropriate number of hours, then use the forward button.

For example, while viewing your guide, you want to see what is on at this same time tomorrow night..............you would punch in "24" then hit the forward button. You would now be looking at the listing for this same time tomorrow. Once again, the same applies for any listings you wish to view ahead. Just punch in the numbers and hit the forward key while viewing the guide. If your guide is not up to date for the hours ahead you choose, the pop-up box will ask you if you wish to update the guide at that time.

#22 ·
Another trick I tried, copied from the 5220 thread

bunkhouse said:
press: Menu - 6 - 3
your now in the diagnostics menu.
press: info-right-left.
your now in memory dump menu.
Unfortunately I was unable to enter the format menu on the 5900 by following Bunkhouse's instructions with the 5200.

Anybody know how? Or should I ask, anybody willing to try random key strokes to see if you get elsewhere or if you just fry your receiver? :eek:

#24 ·
Format HDD:
Press Menu, 6, 3.
Within 5 seconds press Info, Browse, Theme.
You should be at the Memory Dump screen.
Then press Play, Play, Recall and it will reformat the drive. Sometimes it will take multiple attempts to get the notification message up.

Reinitializing HDD:
Press Menu, 6, 3.
Within 5 seconds press Info, Browse, Theme.
You should be at the Memory Dump screen.
Then press the Stop button.
A screen will appear telling you that you have re initilized the hard drive.
Then just hold the power button on the receiver until the read record light appears.

Clearing NVRAM:
If you get all those screens the dump and the initilize screen.. and it still does not work.. then you may need to erase the NVRAM as well. Keep in mind that will erase all the timers passwords etc.. To do this.. follow the directons above.. and after you hit the stop button, press the TV Video button on the remote.. and a different screen will pop up telling you that you have erased the NVram.
Then just hold the power button on the receiver until the read record light appears.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.