Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Bell TV 9400 Discussion Thread

542K views 990 replies 168 participants last post by  noah12 
#1 ·
The last few days with every install of a 9241 I've had Bell in their infinite (lack of) wisdom has started labeling the job info as a 9400 install. I've never seen nor even heard of a 9400 till then.

Anyone?

#88 ·
It does exist, it just has not been seen by the minions like myself yet.

I have e-mails and documents telling me it is coming, all I need now is the box its' self.

#90 ·
Yep, that pretty much sums it up.

Concerning the 9241: I had a gut feeling Bell was getting rid of the 9241 when Bell started offering the 9241 free for 3 years with 3 services then the subscriber had the option of owning it.

Then I saw the 9252 thread Pinza started and knew something was in the works though it may not be called a 9252.Honestly I was hoping it was called the 9252 for obvious reasons-Maybe it would have been similar to the 9242

And finally when the installers on this forum started seeing 9400 on their darts then I figured something was definitely coming down the pipe.Just a question of time.

If the 9400 looks anything like the 6400 then it looks very nice.However it is too stripped down.Also I like the Blue guide better but that is just my taste.

#91 ·
A Feature I'd like to See in a 9400

There's a feature I'd like to see in a Bell PVR, namely the ability to edit a recording. Right now if I want to keep just a short segment of a show I have to keep the whole program. My standard definition Sony DVD/HDD recorder (RDR-HX900) has the ability to edit/cut out the portions of a program I don't want. It would be nice if someone made a high definition PVR that could do the same thing.

#92 ·
Agreed, that' a good idea. What I often do if I have a programme where I wish to keep a certain portion is to make note of the start/stop time of the segment of interest and record the programme the next time it airs taking the start/stop times into account and adding a minute or so at each end. These days with so many repeats on various channels, this is often pretty easy to do. I did this many times for HDNet concerts and PBS concerts (Austin City Limits, etc)

Of course, with large eHDDs, it's also not as important as it was years ago when every GB counted.

PS. The purpose of a PVR is for time-shifting and should not really be considered as an archive. If you wish to archive, you can still do that to a DVD recorder, or to an HTPC (Hauppauge). The eHDD on BTV 9XXX PVRs are called archive, but really, that's not a safe storage.

#94 ·
Talked to loyality today to have a credit renewed.

They could not offer the full amount of the old credit but offered a free 9400.
Somewhat free, if I cancel BellTV within 3 years it has to be returned.

I had never heard of it, and asked her, she just said its the new top of the line PVR.

Anyhow, they wanted an installer to come with it but I insisted on just mailing it to me, they said they would. Let you know if it ever comes :)

#101 ·
OK update...

I was promised a 9400 from Loyalty to be mailed within 2 weeks.

Today a few days later, I get a call from a service tech that he is own his way.
I said for what?
He said to install my new receiver,
I asked what model ?

I said no thanks, waiting for a 9400, he had none.

Then a short while later Bell called and said they have no 9400's.
Said if I take the 9241 now, I can NOT later exchange it.
So I said they could keep the 9241, I'd prefer to get the 9400 as promised.
She said she would have to cancel the install order.

Then I called in to the main number and they noted on my account they owe us a free 9400. They said they have no ETA and I would have to keep calling to check if they are in and have to ask for mine to be sent.

I asked for an email to confirm details .... sorry email not possible.

I dont mind waiting its a free PVR.

#103 ·
Good point, I can't but it really does not matter.

I'd bet the 9400 HD will be larger and guide will be updated.
Either way its free.
If its better I'll swap it for the 9241 on the main set,
if not it will go in the basement and be seldom used.

Point of the post was more on how Bell is handling the loyalty 9400 promise :)

#107 ·
Now why they arranged for a tech to install a 9241
when I explicitly told the loyalty rep I only wanted the 9400
she offered and to not send a tech just mail it, I'm not sure.

I still believe I'll get a 9400 , no bets as to when :)
For the last few months every work order to install a 9241 have had the model 9400 on it. Obviously the 9400 isn't out yet, so we're installing 9241s. I'm pretty sure the same thing happened before they released the 6400s (with 6131 instead), but at that point we already knew that the 6400 were coming soon, and knew the specs.

#106 ·
Absolutely nothing about the 9400 has changed since the beginning of this thread. The CSRs have been offering to give people these receivers that haven't even been announced yet. It's obviously coming at some point, but when, or just exactly what it will be, we don't know... and probably won't know until Bell actually announces something official... or someone manages gets some early information on it.

So, until you hear something announced on here, if Bell offers to install a 9400 I can 100% guarantee you that the technician will show up at your door with a 9241.

#109 ·
@joshwild: No offence but we've all heard of similar "official" release dates for hardware/services for Bell before. Most turned out to be incorrect. I'll wait until Nov. 11 before getting excited. Nov. 11 is a Sunday by the way. That seems to me to be an odd day to launch a new product.

#110 · (Edited)
I got the release date from the National Installation Bulletin from October 22. The 9400 receiver was available for ordering this week from Bell product zone.

For those that don't know, Product Zone is a website that Bell vendors order product from. The National Installation Bulletin is sent to Bell TV vendors, atleast once a month and contains changes and updates related to Bell TV.

#112 ·
I can confirm what joshwild said. It's pretty much just a 9241 in a new case. The only difference (aside from the look and size of it) is that it comes with an IR remote, instead of a UHF remote, although there is a UHF remote antenna input on the back of the receiver, so it is possible to use a UHF remote if you attach an antenna.

Just picture what it would look like if a 9241 and 6400 had a baby, and you have a 9400 lol.

#114 ·
I believe it has a larger HDD as well. Going from 30Hrs of HD recording space to 75Hrs. Not that it makes much difference in the age if EHD's. I would have liked to see the PIP button live on this receiver. I say leave it as a single tv receiver but at least give it the option to swap tuners. In any case I will stick with my 9242.

#115 ·
The HDD is the same size, although once the programming starts switching to MPEG4 you'll most likely see a firmware update for the 9241, 9242 and 9400 which will update the calculations for the space available on the receivers.

I have a 9242, and have no reason to switch to a 9400. But if I had a 9241 I might switch just because the receiver is half the size, and has the new IPG.