#1 ·
Hi our 5100 harddrive has error code 0408
it showed on the tv sreen -
now can not use PVR :confused:
anyone know what the probem is?

can i put another drive in it ?
if so what kind ect???

#53 ·
Well unless it has very old software, I can only think it is time for a new PVR....lol

Turn it off with the remote, see if it starts downloading new software in the next minute or two...

#54 ·
Can't record from Global Winnipeg on 5100 PVR

Lately I have been unable to record from Global Winnipeg on my 5100 PVR. All other channels record fine. Whether I set a timer or do a manual recording, the PVR seems to record OK from Global Winnipeg and the recording shows up in the menu, but it cannot be played back. When trying to play back, the menu freezes. One can fast forward and rewind through the recording to see that it is there, but it cannot be played.

I recently dropped timeshifting from my subscription so Winnipeg is the only Global station I get. I don't know why changing the timeshifting subscription would affect PVR recording.

#57 ·
You say the Installer
He came in and upgraded things, taking away the power inserters because he said they weren't needed anymore.
. If this is correct, then you no longer have an SW44 to connect the 5100 to, as an SW44 will not work without a Power Inserter and you say the other receivers are working. ?

I would suggest checking the output of the 5100 for Voltage on the Coaxial Port, it should show 13v or 18v, if there is nothing, then it has died.

#58 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thank you, Allan B, for your reply. Regarding the checking of output, I've never used a multimeter, but I'm willing to buy one and learn. What setting would I use? Would the test take place right at the port, or would it require a jumper, and, if that's the case, would the negative touch the nut or the pin?

Also, is it likely to make a difference if I reconnect a power inserter to the SW44 connected to just the 5100? I can borrow one from a friend.

I apologize for all the questions, but I really want to get this receiver going again. Thank you again for your very helpful assistance.

#59 ·
You will be testing the Coax connection "Sat IN". You are looking for 13v or 18v, the + is the centre pin, the - is the chassis of the receiver.

For this test, you do not need anything else, just the receiver and a cheap Multimeter.

I would suggest getting a small length of Coax (RG6) and have a connector on one end (the end that will got into the receiver) and have it stripped at the other so it is easy to make connections with the multimeter.

If as you say the Dish was reinstalled by a Bell Tech and he removed the Power Inserter, that part will not be needed again.

#63 ·
My 5100 is suddenly not delivering sound, either from satellite reception or from stored PVR programs. My receiver is connected both to my DVR through red/white RCA and to my TV through coaxial. I have tried changing channels, removing and reinserting the smart card, and monkeying with the installation menu. There is also no sound when using the "point dish" feature, which of course usually produces piercing sounds.

What can I do? I know my receiver is 14 years old.

#64 ·
The RF coax connection should provide audio and video (on the TV) - there is no need for the analogue audio cables. The red/white (analogue audio) cables are usually utilized in conjunction with the composite video (yellow) cable connection - not quite sure why you're using both methods. Make sure you're using the right combination. Have you rebooted the 5100?

Here's a list of things to check - try rebooting, unplugging/replugging cables, choosing the right input, etc.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/19694-faq-things-check-first.html

Cables & Connections: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/76085-faq-cables-connections.html

#65 ·
I use the red/white/yellow most of the time to view satellite through the PVR, which lets me record from the satellite to the PVR. I have the coax connected so I can bypass the PVR when the PVR is doing something else (it has its own off-air tuner).

There is no change in my situation. I am going to unplug the satellite receiver from the AC completely for a while.

#68 ·
I have one old 5900 in my downstairs spare bedroom and I check it every couple months and today when I turned it on it said my access card was not valid, it’s the really old S06 card. I’m not sure when it went out but all my other receivers have S22 cards. I haven’t called Bell yet but anyone else with a 5100/5200/5800/5900 have the same issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.