#1 ·
Hi our 5100 harddrive has error code 0408
it showed on the tv sreen -
now can not use PVR :confused:
anyone know what the probem is?

can i put another drive in it ?
if so what kind ect???

#30 ·
So looks like I will get. 6400 receiver and hookup one of my external hd's to it.

Do they come with a smart card to be activated? Or do I drop in my card from my 5100?

Are there any upgrades to my system from going from old style to HD? Or is it plug and play? No technician required?

And to reiterate, my wife worked at the TV side of Bell years ago and we are still grandfathered in an amazing subscription price per month. So don't want to screw that up above all else ... Is there anything I should be worried about when contacting Bell regarding the new receiver?

Thanks

#31 ·
6400 will come with a card as cards cannot be swapped between receivers.

Well as far as upgrades, you will need an LNBF aimed at 82 degrees if you want HD programming, otherwise, nothing is required at all and you will still get the Aquarium Channel (When broadcasting) in HD as it is on 91.

As stated before, just add the receiver on-line, very easy to do and no need to speak with Bell at all.

#32 ·
So Pinza, having read your reply ... Am I already pointing at the correct satellite with my current set-up? For the potentially new 6400 ?
And pardon my ignorance, a LNBF?

To add a twist, we have an additional receiver in the bedroom, running an equally old receiver.
Will the current dish and where it's pointing, effect anything? Do I need to go to the roof to adjust the dish? Do I need a second dish for the new, HD PVR?

Excuse my ignorance ....

#33 ·
Am I already pointing at the correct satellite with my current set-up?
If you are not changing programming, to add HD Channels you need nothing new at the Dish.

For the potentially new 6400 ?
New or refurbished, it does not matter.

And pardon my ignorance, a LNBF?
Low Noise Block Feedhorn.

Google is your friend.

Will the current dish and where it's pointing, effect anything?
No, you are just swapping a receiver, unless you add another LNBF.

Do I need to go to the roof to adjust the dish?
No, you are just swapping a receiver, unless you add another LNBF.

Do I need a second dish for the new, HD PVR?
Firstly, you are not getting an HD PVR, the 6400 is an HD Receiver. You can make it an HD PVR by adding an External Hard Drive. Bell currently offer 2 different HD Dual Tuner PVR's, the 9241+ and the 9400.

If you choose to get HD Programming, you will need a 2nd LNBF, aimed at 82 degrees, this might require a new Dish, capable of holding 2 x LNBF's or you might already have that Dish. The chances you will require a 2nd Dish are very slight.

Adding HD Programming might just put your account above the radar and you could loose any benefits you have right now. I would suggest, adding the new 6400 via bell's Website, if that works, and you decide you want HD Programming do it the same way, that eliminates the need for questions from a CSR.

#36 ·
Pinza/jdevlin, thanks for tolerating ignorant questions!

A new receiver is on my mind, not used or refurbished.

Plug in an external HD for PVR capabilities ... (Will ask about that when I get the receiver)

Not too interested in HD programming, just getting a receiver that works a little better ....

So to follow your instructions; buy 6400, replace 5100, contact Bell online to activate new receiver. Hope that they don't ask any further questions .... Priceless!

Cheers!

#37 ·
The dish has got to be 15 years old, had it set-up 8 years ago when we moved.

Again, all we want is additional memory for more than 7-1/2 hrs of pVR programming, which is what we have now.

Is there any reset to increase storage on an old 5100? I did look and did click on restore factory settings, with the warning of deleting everything .... Which did not delete anything or change anything ....

#38 ·
The 5100 should hold more than 7 1/2 hours of SD recordings, that just does not sound right.

Have you tried re-formatting the Drive?

You will loose all recordings but you will end up with the maximum amount of time you should have had when new.

EDIT:

I believe the 5100 should have a 30 hour capacity for SD Recordings.

#41 ·
Wow, it has been so long I had to Google it;

Accessing Memory Dump Screen:

Press Menu, 6 (System Setup), 3 (Diagnostics). 

Within 5 seconds press Info, Browse, Theme.

Format HDD: 

You should be at the Memory Dump screen. 

Press Play, Play, Recall and it will reformat the drive.

Sometimes it can take multiple attempts to get the notification message up.

#44 ·
5100 PVR sat issues..

My 5100 doesn't connect to a satellite! I haven't had it plugged in or connected to a dish for at least a year. I tried the power button, pulling the card but nothings working.

When i connect the dish to the box it searches for a "default" satellite instead of 91?

The 3100 I had connected previously had 100% signal and worked flawlessly.

The 5100 doesn't see the dish? any suggestions?

Hydrantboy.

#48 ·
Hi again Pinza..

Yes from the sw44a switch I get 100% signal strength and finds EV91 on the 3100.

When I connect the 5100 it searches for a "default" satellite. Does not see the EV 91 sat? When I do a power button reset, and only for a brief second it shows the EV91 sat then goes looking for the default sat? and never finds anything

Is there a way to do a hard factory reset on this unit? I have updated my smart card via phone line and even tried the synchronizer thing on Bell.ca

again Pinza...

your guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Hydrantboy

#56 ·
I'm having the *exact* same issue with my 5100. It was unplugged and inactive for just over a year. Absolutely nothing wakes it up, and I have tried everything!! A call to Bell resulted in the recommendation to keep holding down the power button and rebooting it. The rep was confident that would get it going. No such luck. The message I get from the 'check switch' is "no switch box detected". It was attached to its own SW44. As a test, I moved the cables to the other SW44 where two 9241s are functioning normally. No change. I even disconnected a 9241 and connected the 5100 in its place. No change.

We had to get a new roof installed in the fall, and the satellite dish was reinstalled by a Bell tech. He came in and upgraded things, taking away the power inserters because he said they weren't needed anymore. I wish we had tried the 5100 when the tech was there to make sure that it was operational after the upgrade, but it was forgotten. Could this problem have been cause by something the tech did (or possibly didn't do)?

Is this receiver a brick now? I really hope I can get it going again, as it is our go-to receiver when one of the 9241s needs a repair. I'd be grateful for any assistance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.