Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

OTA on BELL Receivers Without BTV Subscription?

73K views 143 replies 34 participants last post by  heans 
#1 ·
I have three 6141 Bell receivers that I own. They have OTA tuners, in addition to the satellite tuner. At my location in Toronto I can receive a total of 25 OTA digital channels. I am planning to cancel my Bell TV basic subscription.

My question is: would my 6141 receivers still be able to receive OTA signals if I cancel my Bell TV subscription? (I will leave the LNBs connected to avoid getting the acquiring satellite signal message.)

Thanks.

#80 ·
Garbage. Sounds like it had a Smart Card and the last owner probably kept the card because of the mistaken idea it can be used in another receiver.

#82 ·
One of the OTA channels I was receiving on Bell 9200 changed thier channel decimal,Ex 15-1 to 15-3 and now I cannot receive it any more.However if I plug Coaxial directly to T.V it will receive it.I have tried several digital scans on 9200 without success.When I try to add single local channel on channel 15,I do get a strong signal but it will not memorize it for one reason or another.

#83 ·
Found my answer for this:

Why does my digital TV show channels with decimals or dashes?
On a digital cable television system, the “physical” channel numbers have decimals or
dashes. However, some systems are designed to also provide “virtual” channel numbers
(VCNs) that present the channel as a digit whole number. Unfortunately, different
model digital TVs have different types of channel tuners and not all tuners can pick up
the VCNs.

If you have a digital HDTV that will not recognize the whole number virtual channel
after a channel scan, be sure to check the settings in the set-up menu – including setting
the clock if your TV has one. If this does not work, your TV tuner is probably not
capable of presenting the virtual channels.

#85 ·
Interesting question. I would hazard a guess at yes but I am not sure.

If you have 2 lines from an old Legacy LNBF, why not just add a cheap multi-switch ($5 to $10)?

#88 ·
That makes perfect sense. Now as long as it is only used for OTA there should not be a problem but if you still want to pick up the Free Preview Channels, you will need full access to both 91 & 82.

#89 · (Edited by Moderator)
Any way to get fta or ota channels through a cancelled Bell TV sub

I recently cancelled bell tv, but still have the dish pointed where it should be with all the wires intact. My question is, would i be able to get any channels if i bought a ota receiver and plugged it in the place of the bell receiver.
New to this kind of thing, so please guide me through it.

#96 ·
mob123 said:
would i be able to get any channels if i bought a ota receiver and plugged it in the place of the bell receiver.
Since you posted about OTA (Over The Air) in a thread about OTA, you probably got it mixed up with FTA. Everything you will ever want to know about OTA starts with the links in my signature here to the lower right in this post.
mob123 said:
So basically, i would need one of those 3 receivers. How would i set up fta?
If you want FTA (Free To Air satellite) you will need to read/post in the FTA Forum: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=57 Everything you need to know about FTA is there in that forum, including using some of your Bell gear if you so choose.

This present thread is not the place for that. Back to discussion here of OTA on Bell Receivers Without a Bell Subscription. :)

#103 ·
There are OTA Antenna's that actually attach to the circumference of the Dish, just how good they are I have no idea.

I would remove the entire dish and replace with an Antenna.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.