Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

9241 Internal hard drive replacement

208K views 174 replies 61 participants last post by  Notdeadyet55 
#1 ·
Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I can't find it.

The 9242 hard drive replacement thread at http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=103462 has been invaluable, with its list of valid replacement drive numbers, etc. However, it doesn't specifically address the 9241 (altho some 9241 owners have posted there). The 9241 owners thread makes some references to hard-drive replacement, but I can't find concrete details.

Does someone have a list of drive models that make suitable models for replacement in a 9241? Or have any experience with this?

I've seen ebay postings for 9242 drives, saying they will work in 9241s also - but I'm suspicious of that - esp after reading the 9242 thread. I've also seen lots of 9241s that can't be activated going on ebay, and was thinking of buying one of those so I can cannibalize the hard-drive when needed.... but I also recall reading somewhere (not sure where now) that a 9241 can only have its hard drive replaced by the EXACT same model that it already has. ie, even a different model drive from a different 9241 may not work in my unit.

Does anyone know if there is any truth in either of these statements?

For the record, my 9241 is humming along nicely in the 6 months six I got it (from ebay - who knows what it did before then!). But I know these drives get harder to find and would like to have an "insurance" drive around, as I hope to keep the receiver for a long time! (Changing receivers down "south" is a pain, and my 5100/5900 only lasted two years!)

Thanks

See less See more
#125 ·
F.Y.I.

Spent numerous hours trying to replace the HD in a 9241.

I can confirm that ST1000VM002 with FW - SC12 will not work! It has to be a SC-11. The PVR will not recognize the SC12.

On a brighter note - We can add the Seagate ST31000424CS with FW - CA12 to the outdated list. It's a 1TB Pipeline.

Also, I can confirm the remedy that was posted earlier works. For those stuck with the RED blinking light of death, just plug in a working external drive(NTFS) into the rear USB of the PVR. A message screen will populate to ask for a FORMAT - obviously, disconnect the external drive but you can now return to the menu & erase the VRAM to eliminate the blinking red light of death.

Good Luck,

#127 ·
Been trying for days to get ST1000VM002 to work in my 9241, with no luck. It is SC11. The TV works (fixed Caps), but it wont pick up the Hard Drive. The TV only works with the damaged Toshiba 1TB installed. But no PVR. When I use the Seagate, it gets to Satellite progress 2 of 5 and restarts itself. Taking me to Error 311. I've read this whole post multiple times. This is a frustrating issue.

#130 ·
Hey Im new guy, Seagate 1TB Internal HDD 3.5" SATA ST31000322CS will work my new 9241T tht Telus?? but looks like Bell yah I was searched over how works for HHD 1TB and keep low power, low 8mb, 5,900rpm but tht SATA has 3g/s, idk wat firmware SC13? but my old HHD 320GB tht fw: ES12 if i was think bout new upgrade for next to level up?? but im not skilled with technically things.. well idk? if does work? let me know thanks! lol

#132 ·
I got a 9241 from Bell a number of years back as a "Good customer" deal where they gave me the machine for free, but I had to remain a customer for 2 years. At the end of the 2 years, Id own the 9241 outright. Well at the end of the 2 years, they sent a letter that said, if I did nothing, they would extend the warranty to 3 years, but I had to remain a customer and that at the end of the 3rd year, Id own the 9241 outright. Very near the end of the 3 years, the device died (don't remember / know exactly) and they warranty replaced the 9241. The original had a 500GB HDD, the replacement came with a 1TB HDD (woohoo!!). That was a few years back and now, the replacement 9241 has had a HDD failure, and there is no warranty. I've opened the 9241 and removed the HDD to get an exact model number off the HDD and I have sourced and ordered a used one from someone in Nova Scotia with 779 ebay sales and 100% customer satisfaction.. so I'll get back up a going in a few weeks..... What Im wanting to know, what size of HDDs are the current 9241s coming with and what is the exact model number? I want to source and store one for when this 1TB dies as its a used drive and I am skeptical of the 9241 and them with drive issues. Want to be prepared the next time. Thanks for your help.
Dean

#139 ·
Yes this is what I did and it worked flawlessly. I replace my HD in my 9241 with Seagate 500GB ST3500312CS 5900RPM 3.5" SATA Hard Drive for about $45 from Ebay. This is what I did before replacing the HD. I dumped the NVRAM as discussed in this thread by doing this.

Accessing the memory dump screen:
Press Menu, 6 (System Setup), 3 (Diagnostics).
Within 5 seconds press Info, Browse, Theme.

Clear NVRAM:
<<You should be at the Memory Dump screen.>>
Press TV/Video.
A different screen will pop up telling you that you have erased the NVram.
Then just press the power button on the receiver.
You will lose all favorites, timers and customized settings.

I then replaced the HD and the receiver booted up a couple times found the hard drive and formatted it automatically, then rebooted again.

As I lost the remote control function at this point I had to use the buttons on the front of the receiver by pressing "Menu" then getting to "System Setup" then selecting "Installation" then selecting "System Info". In box "i" you will see "Rem Addr" and it was showing "1". I then used the remote control and pressed the "sat" button until all buttons on the top lit up red and then sat button starting flashing green. Within 5 seconds I pressed the "record" button 3 times on the remote control and the "Rem Addr" changed to number "4". Mine did and all was working after that.

Check out the new replaced HD and it works great!

Hope this may help anyone else dealing this issue. Thanks for the many threads people have contributed before to help me fix my 9241 receiver!!!

#140 ·
Can't clear NVRam

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I'm trying to clear the NVRam according to the procedure that has been posted several times in this thread but keep getting the "non volatile memory is corrupted..." message and unplugging or using the reset button on the front doesn't help. I have tried doing multiple resets, have replaced caps on the board, unplugged overnight, etc. I have full live tv just can't clear the NVRam to be able to swap out the failed hard drive. (Can get the tv function only when drive is unplugged from the main board).

#141 ·
you did clear the nvram when you did that and it says non-volatile memory has been corrupted. when you are told to unplug it is at this time that you put your new hard drive in and then plug the power back in and let the 9241 do its thing and will figure out the new hard disk own its own (mind you im certain you are matching the new drive to ensure it is compatible in the list of approved drives)

#144 ·
Can't get hard drive to format

I am stumped with a problem I am having with another one of my 9241 receivers. The hard drive went on it and I ordered a replacement on EBay. While I had the case open I changed a few of the caps that were bulging and the rest of the known problem ones also that weren’t showing signs of bulging yet just to be proactive. I have cleared the NVRam according to suggestions and installed the replacement hard drive. I won’t format the drive on its own and when I go to the memory dump screen and press Play, Play, return (the config dump screen pops up even before I get to press Return) I get the message that the hard drive is being cleaned and not to disturb the process and it will reboot upon completion. The system does reboot 3 times with that same hard drive is being cleaned screen appearing for two of the boots. On the third boot it goes to the 311 error screen about hard drive error. I have tried going back into the memory dump screen and doing the short HD test by pressing Pause, 1. It completed the test and all smart results passed. I also tested the drive attached to a PC and it passed all tests. I created a partition and then wiped the drive. But still no luck getting the 9241 to format it. Not sure why it can see the drive, clean it, pass the HD test but I can’t get it to format. Any suggestions would be appreciated.