Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

9242 won't stop rebooting!

76K views 36 replies 22 participants last post by  fuddle_duddle 
#1 ·
I don't get any error codes, but my 9242 keeps hard resetting (with the noisy fan for 2 mins). I believe it did it once a week ago and thought nothing of it. But then today it did it twice in about 5 minutes. Could this be firmware related, because there's no errors on the hard drive and all recording still works fine. It's been running for a couple hours now without a problem.

#2 ·
First BELL agent was leaning towards sending in my receiver. The second BELL agent confirmed it was a software issue and that V186/187 are now being streamed.

Can anybody confirm these firmwares, because I've had my receiver off for 45mins and it hasn't taken anything, it's still at 185

Also, changing channels was another symptom of this faulty firmware, which I also experienced. Maybe just a heads up to everyone before they start shipping their receivers in.

#3 ·
NEW FIRMWARE V186/187 for 92xx?

Can anyone confirm these firmwares are streaming yet? BELL told me that the restarting of the receiver and the channels changing by themselves were problems associated with 185 firmware. They told me to keep receiver off until it takes 186 firmware (which it hasn't done yet in 45mins).

#4 ·
I'm sorry that you are having problems but that doesn't give you license to post in multiple threads about your problem and resurrecting year and half old threads saying an 18 month old problem is caused by the V185 update.

If an update is issued, it will be discussed here and a new thread created.

#5 ·
I've had problems tonight with my 9242. The pvr hard drive started screaming for several minutes. I figured the hard drive was done. Unplugged it, left it for about 30 minutes, plugged it back in and for now everything appears OK. I was just very strange how it locked up in the middle of a show, and while recording another.... tab bit frustrating. Any experienced members have ideas about this? Thanks in advance...

#6 ·
My apologies for posting in seperate areas. I used to moderate other satellite forums as well. First of all, my intent was firstly to discuss my receiver restarting (which at that point I didn't know why) and secondly, to open a new thread discussing the latest V186/187 firmware updates. They were (in my opinion) two different topics.

Regardless, you're free to do as you wish here, I respect that. I personally feel I could've been given a simple warning being my first infraction, but I know the feeling of trying to keep a forum clean the way you want it.

In regards to the restarting 9242 receivers, this is a known BELL issue, one agent told me there is already firmware in the stream to fix it, another supervisor told me they are working hard to find a fix, but either way it is clearly a firmware issue with the 92xx receivers.

#7 ·
I see several dozen 9242/9241 and 9200 models each and every week and I see on average 1 or 2 9242's that are rebooting similar to what you describe, in any month, so this issue is not on every machine. While it may well be a firmware issue, again it does not effect every receiver.

99% of the ones that do exhibit this issue, are very warm, even hot, with insufficient airflow and/or placed close to another heat source, such as an AVR.

My own 9242 started to do the same thing when I accidentally covered the vents on the left hand side. My 9242 is placed vertically on its' right hand end.

I removed the obstruction and within 15 minutes, it stopped its rebooting and has behaved correctly ever since.

Another problem receiver was placed on a Laptop cooler, again resulting in correct operation.

#11 ·
9242 keeps rebooting

We are having all kinds of problems with our 9242 rebooting. Just happens randomly.
Someone said something about a new firmware version. Is there a way to force an update?
Now that the NHL playoff are on , we can't afford any glitches.

I noticed that in the startup sequence, it connects through different transponders. Is there a way to point it to a transponder that has a stronger signal?

Any new ideas on the rebooting problem ?

#12 ·
It has to scan through different transponders, that is just the way all Bell Receivers start up.

I had a 9242 that would re-boot several times in a row, after working for days sometimes weeks without a problem. Turned out to be a heat issue, even though where it was placed, did not seem to be a problem at all.

Saw a 9242 last week, where the person had added a USB powered fan to keep it cool. Try placing a small fan close by to blow air over the receiver, if it stops it rebooting you have found the problem.

#13 ·
I suggest you put in a call to Bell...as I had a 9242 that would reboot randomly too...and it drove me nuts!

There was no heat issue and I tried several "possible fixes" myself...including unplugging, clearing the NVRAM, formatting the hard disk etc...and nothing helped.

So I called Bell and they wanted me to run a bunch of tests...and I simply said...I've done everything already...I've been on the forums...and everyone knows (some of these 9242's have rebooting problems)...please send me a new unit...and they sent me a brand new unit that works perfectly.

BTW...everytime they wanted me to try something (during the call)...I simply repeated that I had tried everything twice already...please send me a new unit....and after about ten minutes (repeating myself)...they finally agreed.

A new unit was delivered in 4 days and I've had no issues since...so in this case...fabulous customer service...however my unit was still under warranty.

#14 ·
Bell says move it

I called Bell again and the peson i got this time suggested i move my pvr to the other room upstairs and connect it to another satellite line. Just in case there's something with the switch or other issue with the normal location.
So far it hasn't rebooted again (~8hours).
We'll see. If I don'e notice it rebooting by tomorrow, I'll probably move it downstairs again tomorrow afternoon (game 2 playoffs to watch on the big screen).
If it does come back I will try pointing a fan at it.
[I'm going to keep trying a few things as my pvr is out of warranty - bought it Dec2008]

#15 ·
I had the exact same problem back in the fall and had a thread in this formum on it. Mine's in an open position with plenty of ventilation and the diagnostic screens never indicated any overly high temperatures.

Anyway, it would sometimes reboot one per week, sometimes 5 times in a row. Eventually after wasting 45 mins trying to explain it to an Indian guy, had the problem escalated to a level 2 (Canadian tech) and had the receiver replaced.

Transferred the files via an EHD and the new receiver is great. Better than the old one ever was: no jump to live issue. No occasional audio drop-outs when watching behind live. And best of all, no surprise reboots.

My opinion: get it replaced under warranty. If out of warranty you can still get it replaced for $149 or something like that.

#18 ·
Well I got a 9242 replaced back in March after the hard drive in my original failed after 18 months of service. The replacement ran for a couple of weeks perfectly fine and then started an endless reboot cycle it did manage to come on a few times for brief moments but then everything went black and the fans started up again. I phoned Bell and after all their troubleshooting, I was sent a new one. The new one worked for about 3 weeks and then it too, decided to reboot itself and after going through all the trouble shooting, I was sent a new one last Tuesday. By Friday the new receiver starting shutting off randomly every couple of hours and progressively got worse, by Sunday it started a rebooting cycle. After a hour on the phone with tech support, they decided to send me yet another 9242. This one better work or I am going to be switching to Shaw, I'm getting tired of not having a PVR.

#20 ·
I think it's a heating issue as well... Mine did it a month ago and stopped eventually, but then started back up again a week ago. I opened the cover, it was filthy. I blew the dust out, slowly put it back together one piece at a time (first the hard drive, then the cover) and it's working fine for a week now so far.

Every provider has it's problems, I definitely wouldn't be switching to SHAW. My aunt's SHAW receiver loses it's DVR functions every time there's a brief power outage or she unplugs it. That requires a phone call to re-activate the DVR services. Plus SHAW doesn't even carry all 4 sportsnet channels and you have to pay extra just to get three of the four in HD.

If my 9242 ever quit for good, I'd probably just get a 6131 and buy a cheap external hard drive. I imagine the 9252 will be $699 considering it's $649 in the states for the same receiver. Not gonna be cheap.

#21 ·
Trying to get to the bottom of this heat issue. I had the same rebooting issue but I removed the cover, afterwards it booted up fine. My receiver is 3 yrs old and out of warranty. It sounds as if bell is pawning off other faulty units as refurbs anyway.

I am thinking it is a faulty component on the power supply. Since my receiver is now working properly I can't test but has anyone checked the voltage levels at the output of the PS when the unit keeps rebooting? They are printed on the circuit board. Check with a DC voltmeter from gnd to each output. I am wondering if any are out of spec?

#22 · (Edited)
I might have solved the problem with heat issues. I had the case open and out of curiosity i felt the heatsink for the power rectifier. Too hot to even touch. Went to my other new receiver and felt the same heatsink. Warm but not too hot to touch.

Here is the datasheet for that rectifier:
http://www.jaycar.com.au/images_uploaded/MUR1520_D.PDF

Notice in figure 3 of that datasheet Current Derating Case, that output current is a function of temperature. A 25 degree temp rise (from 150 to 175 degrees) decreases the current output from 25 to 0. Too hot and you have too little current to power the mainboard and other peripherals. Hence rebooting until it cools down. This is why when you unplug your hard drive the receiver will boot properly. There is enough current now to supply your mainboard (the hard drive is not taking any). This does not indicate a faulty hard drive as other sites have mentioned.

My guess is that the power rectifier U1520 is failing. I am going to order one and replace it and also get a larger heatsink for it.

Any bell tech's reading this can send me a free 9242 ;-)

I'll post my findings once i change the rectifier.

#24 ·
I have the same reboot problem with my 9200 !

I own 2 x 9200 and one of them has started rebooting 3 weeks ago after 15 min of plugging it back (after an hour of cooling down). I tried running it without the cover, no luck. I unplugged the HD and voilà ... no more reboot !

The heatsink doesn't seem to be that hot, do you think the solution stated above would work for me ?

PS: Sorry for my ignorance but what is the IC, the U1520 power rectifier ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.