Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

9242 won't stop rebooting!

76K views 36 replies 22 participants last post by  fuddle_duddle 
#1 ·
I don't get any error codes, but my 9242 keeps hard resetting (with the noisy fan for 2 mins). I believe it did it once a week ago and thought nothing of it. But then today it did it twice in about 5 minutes. Could this be firmware related, because there's no errors on the hard drive and all recording still works fine. It's been running for a couple hours now without a problem.

#31 ·
My Solution

The MUR1520 Rectifier diode replacement fixed my rebooting issue. I had tried an identical replacement disk drive (Hitachi CinemaStar model # HCS725032VLA380 320 GB) and it did not change a thing. I purchased a MUR1520 and swapped it out, took 15 minutes. The original diode must have degraded over time because it got worse until i simply unplugged the Sata cable and disk power cable. Eventually the system would start rebooting until it was useless. That is when i found this thread and particularily the post from Voltage25. It saved me from replacing an expensive brick. Many thanks, i just wanted to register to this forum to provide provide feedback for a working solution. It's been running for 2 weeks without a glitch.(Bell 9242 PVR).

#34 ·
Rebooting issue....I just had bought this 9242 second hand online. Within a few days of owning it, it started doing the endless rebooting. I contacted a couple of "Repair Shops" where you send your receiver in and pay them to fix it. One guy said it was the caps and would cost $110 and the other guy just said that he could fix it. I'm a techy person so both responses weren't satisfactory. I dug in and started to google this problem......here I am. The post by "Voltage" is pure gold. Seems like the problem I was having was the exact same problem he was having. So, I took a chance. I found the U1520 on eBay and figured the worst that could happen is that I'd be out $20 bucks. I receiver this component, identified it on the PS board and replaced it. The receiver hasn't had the rebooting problem since.
Hat tip to Voltage25 for digging in and finding this. Nobody goes down to the component level anymore, it's always "Replace" over "Repair". I could have sent this receiver out and paid $ for capacitor replacement but the problem would still have existed. Cheers to Voltage25 and if anybody else has this rebooting issue, seriously try this fix.

#36 ·
I am having the reboot problem with my 9242 as well. Replaced all 7 capacitors but still having the reboots. Would like to replace the MUR1520 but can't see which one it is. Type is too small for my aged eyes. Can anyone identify which one I should replace? Thanks and appreciate this great forum!

#37 ·
My 9242 began rebooting intermittently about 3 weeks ago. I noticed that the box was very hot so I tried running a fan on it - no difference. There was no pattern to the reboots so I figured one of the components had failed. I found a repair shop on kijiji, but he wanted $125.00 to repair it. 9242's are going for $150.00 on the same site, so I purchased one. I connected it and was very disappointed to see that it was doing the same thing, so I began troubleshooting. I swapped the separator, changed all the cable ends, used a different power source, but still, it kept rebooting. When I found the solution and I could not believe it - the HDMI input on my Sony TV was the culprit. I was using input 1 - HDMI/MHL. I moved it over to HDMI input 2 which is not MHL, and it was fine. Now I have two working 9242's and I have not noticed any reboots and I'm happy to see that the recordings are now complete and uninterrupted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.