Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

External Hard Drive Discussions - See Facts Link in Post 1.

477K views 1K replies 351 participants last post by  kilohertz 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm new to this so please bear with me. I've tried searching with no success.

I just upgraded to a 9241 because my kids gave me an external hard drive for my BD.

Anyway, it formated just fine so here is my question.

As I keep recording movies etc, does the external drive become an overflow when the 9241 is full?? If this isn't the case, do I have to archieve shows to the external drive manually??

Once movies etc are in the hard drive do I just access them for watching the same as if they're on the 9241 drive.

I hope I explained properly but I'm sure somebody will let me know if not. :p

Here's the link to the eHDD facts thread. Read it to find the appropriate eHDD, etc.

Bell External Hard Drive Facts - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Do not ask questions in the Facts thread. Use this thread for questions.

See less See more
#2 ·
As I keep recording movies etc, does the external drive become an overflow when the 9241 is full?? If this isn't the case, do I have to archieve shows to the external drive manually??
The EHD is just for archiving your recordings, you cannot record directly to it. Ensure that you never fill it or you will experience major problems, as outlined elsewhere in these forums.

#760 ·
So let me understand this as I'm new to this too.

This EHD is basically a storage place for your recordibngs?

So if you don't record alot of movies/programs with your PVR or actually keep them for good this EHD wouldn't be worth fit or me to buy?(I don't really keep records mainly to view at a latere date then earse.)

A few questions.

1)If I get this EHD can I put it on another 9241?

2)Can I connect this EHD to a computer and watch my recording there?

3)Apparently you can put a EHD on a 6131. Is this only a EHD to view programing or can you buy a recordable HD to turn your 6131 into a PVR.

Thanks.

#3 ·
Thanks Pinza.

So, Once movies etc are in the hard drive do I just access them for watching the same as if they're on the 9241 drive??

I did notice that when I went to archieve a program, it said it would take about 5 minutes. Does this sound about right??

#4 ·
Although I have had a 9242 for quite some time, I have yet to connect an EHD so I am not sure about playback. All I can advise, it try it out.... Archive a 30 minute show, then see if you can just play it, or if it needs to be moved back to the receiver to play. I hope you can just play.....lol

Archiving, is very slow though, that I do know, from reading on this forum and at other peoples homes.

#5 ·
A new item called External Drive shows up in the PVR recording list. Shows on the HD can be watched in the new submenu that shows up when it is selected. The EHD interface is similar to the regular PVR recordings list but not identical. Recordings can be archived by pressing Menu-4-3-2.

#9 ·
You can transfer recordings back and forth and you can watch recordings directly from the EHD BUT....some 9242 had hardware issues (mine) where you could transfer recordings to the EHD but could not watch or transfer back. (Search for the dreaded EHD disconnect problem).

I had this issue and only a receiver swap fixed it.

#10 ·
HD 6131 with a 1.5GB???

I was wondering how I can use a 1.5GB external HDD on a HD 6131? I am attempting to use a media center to record tv shows, as well as downloaded movies. I did not know that the max was 1gb. I get an error 933 when trying to use media center. Is there a way that I can over ride the error, or even use this as a pvr? I am deperate, i bought it off eBay!!!!

#12 ·
well, I've had the 9241 and the external hard drive for 8 days now and I'm pleased to say that both are working fantastic.

I was worried about the archiving to the hard drive but it allows you to watch whatever you want while it does it's thing in the background.

Nice set up I think. No more worrying about taping to much and filling the machine. :D

#13 ·
Using 1 EHD with 2 Bell Receivers

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I did a search and I couldn't find a topic covering it.

I have a question:

I have 2 6131's and I would like to remove the EHD from one and plug into the other to watch/PVR. Would the drive be formatted when I inserted into receiver 2?

#14 ·
teknosex said:
I was wondering how I can use a 1.5GB external HDD on a HD 6131? I am attempting to use a media center to record tv shows, as well as downloaded movies. I did not know that the max was 1gb. I get an error 933 when trying to use media center. Is there a way that I can over ride the error, or even use this as a pvr?
This sounds very confusing.
1. The external hard drive cannot be swapped between the 6131 and other devices. The 6131 will ask to format the drive which will erase all previous data.
2. Which media center? Do you mean the 6131 or something else?
3. Nobody here has reported on using a 1.5TB drive. A lot of people use 1TB drives on the 6131. Try it and report back on whether it works. It won't hurt the drive or the 6131 but the formatting or subsequent file transfers may fail. It will erase any data on the disk written from other devices.

#15 ·
The EHD is just for archiving your recordings, you cannot record directly to it.
I am very confused. Post #2 states, in part
6131/6141
EHD functionality introduced in firmware v165.
EHD's can be shared between 6131/6141s that are on the same Bell TV account. I am told the three strikes and your out rule is not in effect.
Programming from an EHD mated to a 6131 or 6141 receiver cannot be viewed on a 9241 or 9242 receiver. Attempting to do so could result in your drive being reformatted.
Multiple drives can be added to the 6131/6141 but only one at a time
I have a 6131 and was looking at connecting an external hard drive under the assumption that I would achieve PVR functionality. PVR functionality to me includes recording.

Telus advertises thusly
Western Digital 500 GB external hard drive
Connect a 500 GB external hard drive to expand the recording capacity of your HD PVR or to add PVR functionality to your HD receiver.
Bottom line, will my 6131 record a program to an external hard drive. Post #2 certainly implies that it can.

#18 ·
On the 6131 it's the EHD that makes it a PVR. Yes you can record on it. I believe on the dedicated PVR receivers(9000 series), the EHD is for archiving.
Correct. Sometimes we 9200/9242/9241 owners forget that the EHD also applies to the 6141/6131. (I also have a 6131 but don't use an EHD with it.) These two types of PVRs/receivers treat the EHD completely differently. Some threads may have information from before when PVR functionality was made available for the 6141/6131 receivers.

#19 ·
HP SimpleSave 1TB External Hard Drive

I bought the HP SimpleSave 1TB External Hard Drive.
I've had it hooked up and working for 10 days now.
I can Archive, playback, delete or restore.
It goes to sleep after 20 minutes with no activity. Takes 3 seconds to wake up and still works. I wouldn't have bought it if I knew it went to sleep, but it seems to work fine.
Its really quiet, doesn't get hot, looks good, but the dam blue LED is way too Bright and flashes, had to cover it up.
Anybody else use this drive?

#24 ·
Just plugged in a Western Digital 1.5 TB Hard drive... 200+ hours of HD storage and 1000+ hours of SD.
Just curious as to what the exact numbers are. That would indicate just how much of the drive is actually being used. A newly formatted 1TB drive indicates 120hr HD or 1000hr SD. A freshly formatted 1.5TB should come up with about 180hr HD or 1500hr SD, if the entire drive is used. If, as I suspect may hapen, only 1.1TB is being used by the receiver then it will indicate about 132hr HD or 1100hr SD.

I suspect that the ceiling will be about 200hr HD and 1650hr SD. I base that on the 4 primary partition limit for conventional hard drive layouts. Since current receivers create 550GB partitions, that would make the limit 1650GB, slightly less than a 2TB drive. That, of course, could be changed with updated firmware or hardware.

#25 ·
Thanks to everyone who responded to my requests for help and information. My final decision was to get a 1TB SimpleTech SimpleDrive. The noise will take some getting used to. While not a loud noise it sounds like water dripping on something hollow and is intermittent.

#27 ·
The Western Digital WD10EADS Caviar Green 1TB is also very quiet. In a Vantec CX case, the only way to tell if it's running (apart from the light) is to check the case temperature. It will be slightly warm if on. I've seen other brands that make a loud vibrating noise and run quite hot at idle.