Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bell TV Remote Control Issues and Questions

133K views 146 replies 53 participants last post by  57 
#1 ·
Every few weeks when I turn on the 9200, I get the standard System Info screen and I can't get to live TV. If I try to select "Done", it generates the following error message:

"You are attempting to set the remote address of the TV 1 remote to 1, which is the same address as the TV 2 remote. They MUST be different. Please change the address of your TV 1 remote and try again."

The only way I can get off this screen and begin watching TV is by doing a soft reset of the PVR.

Does anyone know how to resolve this problem without doing a reset? I assume this is happening because both remotes are controlling TV 1.

Thanks!

#109 ·
Ah shoot. Too bad. I could have stuck with my existing IR blaster set and sold the free kit from Bell. Oh well it was free from them (just took me an hour and a half on a not-to-fun phone call). Actually I didn't really need it, just felt that I was obligated it.

It will be a bit more convenient that my old IR blasters so overall I guess I'm better off. No harm no foul :)

#114 ·
So, I can now report that the Dish Network 21.0 IR UHF Pro TV2 DVR Learning Remote Control works fine with a Bell 9242 PVR. A couple of caveats:

- You can find these on eBay for dirt cheap. After shipping from the US is was well under $20 all-in.
- It seems to support more UHF channels than the standard remote. There's no "A/B" switch in the 21.0, so in order to have both new and old remotes work I had to settle on something the "A" band. Not likely an issue for most people, but for whatever reason I find the "A" band flaky and the "B" band more responsive. It is possible to get the 21.0 into the B band, but not by switch -- by code, and then I could never get the standard bell remote to match unless it was in the "A" band...
- The programming is a bit tedious, but hopefully it's a one time event. You can't just program a new button to one of the modes if you've already done so. Each time you want to program a button with 'learning' you have to start from scratch. First, you find an existing device code that closely matches your device (if one exists), and then you teach it any extra/different learned codes. If you realize later you forgot a button, you have to go through the entire process again from the start.
- I've read on DISH forums that the 21.0 is "stronger" than the standard remotes, but I've not found this to be true, it feels the same to me.
- I've programmed lots of buttons into the remote and it's learned them all without any hiccups.

#115 ·
9241 remote

I have a 9241 PVR and just over the last couple of days the remote seems to be acting up. I have changed the batteries so I know that is not the issue. When I point the remote directly at the PVR sensor and press guide it does not always enter the guide. If I point it at the wall or ceiling and press guide it will always work. Why won't it work when pointing directly at the pvr. As I say this only started about 4 days ago.

#117 ·
I have a 9241 PVR and just over the last couple of days the remote seems to be acting up. I have changed the batteries so I know that is not the issue. When I point the remote directly at the PVR sensor and press guide it does not always enter the guide. If I point it at the wall or ceiling and press guide it will always work. Why won't it work when pointing directly at the pvr. As I say this only started about 4 days ago.
I have an almost identical problem. The only thing that changed was this is a new 9242 I received under the swap. The remote is the UHF one model 6.3

#123 ·
Well, I figured out the issue with mine, I bought a new hdmi cable. Before I had component cables hooked up and everything was ok, when I plugged in the hdmi cable shortly after is when I was having issues. The remote does not respond well when pressing buttons.

I hooked the component cables back up and the remote works fine. Must be something with hdmi.

#126 ·
GEtting second reomote to work as remote #2

I have a 9200 using for OTA. The remotes used to work fine. Now one will not work. I have gone to the sysinfo screen and hit the record on each unit. Both remote active the remote 1 on the screen. How do I get the #2 remote to work again. The remote setting on the screen is proper for the #2 remote. I am using 5 and 7 as the two remote numbers.

Hit record on the 5 unit and the display shows IR #5 for remote 1.
Hit record on the 7 unit and the display show ir UHF pro band a #7 for remote 1.

The 7 unit is a 6.2 version. I don't know what the 5 unit is. I left it at the cottage.

#128 ·
I get the same results with the 9242 at home. I will set them both to the same number or change the other one if I can get it work as #2.
I think the issue is with the remote. I pulled the tab out that makes it switch and the little switch inside seems to be missing/broken. I think I must have messed it up when I opened the remote to clean it when some of the buttons didn't work some time ago.
Thanks

#129 ·
Hi there,
Just got a 9242 and noticed that the remote 2 works on the main TV as an IR remote. I changed the Blue key to the Black key that says UHF and same result.

I noticed in the system info it says UHF Pro Band A
Remote address 1
TV channel out 73

And inside the battery case the swith is on A.

How do I turn this to a UHF remote so I can change the channel on TV 2.
Do I have to change the settings on the receiver or just the remote or both?

Thanks.

#130 ·
Go into System Info, MENU 6, 1, 3. That will show the Remote Address for BOTH Remotes.

Swap the Black Key back over to the Blue.

Ensure the Antenna is on the back of the Receiver and is in the CORRECT port.

Then set the Remote Address on the Remote to match that shown on screen. ie; if on screen it shows Remote Address 7 for TV2, you do this;

Press and hold the SAT button on the Remote until all 4 lights flash, then let go.
Press 07 on the Remote.
Press the # key.
The SAT button should flash 3 times.
Now press the Record Button.

The Remote should now be the same as the Receiver.

#131 ·
This is my situation:

System info says the following:

Tuner 1- IR
Remote Address 1
TV Ch Out off

Tuner 2- UHF Pro Band A
Remote Adress 1
TV Ch Out 73

-9242 is set to Single Mode
-The second Remote came with the Blue key and has the Switch to A

Presently, the second remote with the Blue Key also controls TV 1 which is controlled by the the Remote with Green Key(IR).

I was under the impression a remote with a Blue Key would not work as an IR Remote.

#134 ·
OTA

Hi All -Did a search with no luck. I have programmed the Bell remote to operate the tv in my kitchen. I am using a combiner to watch both OTA and Bell.....the receiver is remote and I am using channel 28 to watch Bell.....all else is OTA - scanned into the ATSC tuner on my TV.

My question....probably dumb.....

How do I do the "dot" for the OTA subchannels on the Bell remote?

Like 2.2 for example? Can I even do it? I don't want to use the crappy OTA tuner in the 9241.

Thanks All

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.