9242 OTA Setup - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 2009-09-08, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Question 9242 OTA Setup

I've cancelled my sub with BEV (no LoS to the satellites any longer.. too many trees!), and am hooking up the antenna at the house. Connected directly to my Plasma, I'm able to pull in plenty of HD content OTA. So I figured I'd jack the coax into the back of my old 9242 and see if it would work, and give me PVR capabilities. I followed the instructions in the manual, but everytime I go into System Setup, Local Channels, I get the following error "unable to access this feature at this time. Data not available".

Any idea why I might be getting this error? Does the BEV dish need to be connected to the 9242 still? (which it isn't in this case, the dish doesn't exist outside anymore since I was unable to pull a signal from 82/91).

Thanks for any advice and input

Cheers,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 2009-09-08, 08:22 PM
Veteran

It at the very least requires a signal from 91 or 82 to work. It definitely will not work without signal.

The newer models also need a sub to work on Dishnet. Not sure if thats the case for BEV.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 2009-09-08, 08:27 PM
Rookie

The 9242 is a very expensive OTA receiver.....lol

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 2009-09-08, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

ho hum... there goes that idea.

Thanks for the prompt replies folks.

Cheers,
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 2016-03-15, 09:20 PM

HI,
I have one of those 9242 that a friend gave me. I'm using it for ota only and it's great, even if I can't use the EPG on local channels. I was wondering why lots of BEV channel were listed but a lot were missing. Almost all of the BEV channels equivalente to my local channels are missing. Is there a way to get them back to see what are playing?
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 2016-03-15, 10:42 PM

Only the subscribed channels or free preview channels will be in the guide. There is a chance that some channels might show up if you have the guide on ALL channels instead subbed channels.
Is this unit on an account or are you just using it for OTA?
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 2016-03-16, 06:07 PM

My unit is only use for OTA. With all channels guide selected, some of the unsubscribed channels are list but with a x-cercled. This is fine for me. I wish I could see the unsubscribed equivalente to my locals so I can see what's on or to come. Could it be related to the fact that only one of the tuner is connected to the dish(both sat, 82░ and 91░)?
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 2016-03-16, 10:10 PM

Which channels are you trying to see? The SD ones at 280 or the HD ones at 1200. On my decommissioned 9200 the ones at 280 are in the guide but the ones at 1200 are not. Not sure if that means anything for the 9242.
Also check the channels locks and make sure someone has not locked out those channels. Turning off all locks will disable channel locks.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 2016-03-17, 08:14 PM

As example, if I want to see what teams are competing this saturday night on NHL Hockey
on CITY(BEV=207 or 1033;OTA=62.1), I could go in the guide @ channel 207 or 1033. If this is the game I want to record, I could from there create a manual entry on channel 62.1 at the same hour for my recording. If it's available, I wouldn't need to go over the web to find that information.

About the 280 vs 1200, are you talking about ranges of channels. If so, I would beleive in the first set you have the SD channels while in the second, you have the HD. With your 9200, do you get all the equivalent bev channels of the channels reveived over the air?
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 2016-03-17, 08:23 PM

I mistakenly assumed you were looking for the US networks. 280 and 1200 is where the US networks are found.

I would suggest using the online guide that is probably available at the station web pages.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 2016-03-19, 09:28 AM

I asked myself another question. As I used my 9242 receiver in OTA-only mode and it seems impossible to get the EPG for local channels by pointing on bev satellite 82░/91░, could I use it on another satellite to receive the EPG?
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 2016-03-19, 09:48 AM

No,other Satellites won't lock in and won't work.Bell could have easily had an EPG for OTA if they would have wanted with Software updates.However they realized that they were cord cutters going OTA and thus they didn't want to make things better for OTA Users.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 2016-03-19, 10:13 AM

OK then, is it possible to recycle the hardware and install a new OS to use the ATSC receiver and its hard disk or another into a homemade PVR. Are there anyone with a success story with this project? If necessary, I also have a 9200 to make my tests.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 2016-03-19, 10:55 AM

I personally have never read on such a project that you are inquiring about.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 2017-12-16, 02:05 PM
Rookie

OTA feed into 9242 (others)

I know the 9242 is old(er), and that all of the newer receivers don't have the capability but I was wondering if anyone is able to get the OTA signals to feed into the 9242 as "advertised" (actually I don't think Bell "advertises" it or most features on the box) or is this a lost cause especially with the move to digital OTA. I thought I read somewhere that the tuner in the box was ATSC compatible. Anyways, I only recently picked up a 9242 (have 6131's) and was wondering about this capability, especially if you are able to record those channels.
A phone call to Bell support leaves me with "oh what's that!.... oh wait, let me talk to someone... oh we don't support that" which kind of gives me the idea that perhaps the feature is gone... as in we couldn't make it work so its an old box and service and we don't really care or maybe the support is ????... :-(

Anyways, right now, when I attempt to scan for local channels with the ant hooked up (was working to the tv), the 9242 starts for a "second" at channel 2 and then resets. :-( This is my second 9242 as Bell did replace my other unit ... but I never attempted to do this on the first unit so I don't really know if it ever worked.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Last edited by 57; 2017-12-16 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Moved to this thread.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.