Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Replacing 9242 Hard Drive Discussion

220K views 192 replies 73 participants last post by  jdevlin 
#1 ·
Being that you can now add an external drive to the 9242 and other model receivers, can we change the internal drive to a larger one?

It would seem that adding the ability to attach an external drive would moot any reason to limit our ability to change the internal drive.

Alt

#82 ·
Internal drives are very limited, there is a list on this Forum that will tell you the EXACT drives that will work, if it is not on the list, it will NOT work, it has to match exactly.

I doubt very much that a 1Tb drive will work Internally, it would be fine as an EHD.

#83 ·
I know from Falcon's list that the 1TB series 5 Hitachi Cinemastar works. Its 5400 rpm and has 8M buffer. Was just wondering if the new series at 7200 rpm and 32M buffer would work. I much prefer to change the internal drive than have to move files around. Anybody out there put in a 1TB drive as internal replacement?

#84 ·
My 9242 Hard Drive just dropped out on me. I looked on ebay and found a couple people sellng the Seagate models. After looking at the ones they have in the picture, it says Barracude 7200.12 500 G, which when searched looks to be Model #ST3500418AS. Looking at the list provided on this thread by Falcon this doesn't seem to be an approved model. I would rather buy this hard drive myself instead of on ebay.
Question is: Does anyone know if i have this figured out correctly and ST3500418AS just isn't on the list?
Any insight would be appreciated.

#89 ·
I am happy to report back that "Seagate Pipeline HD ST3500312CS 500GB" recertified hard driver that I purchased from Newegg works great in my 9242. I just swapped the internal drive and powered up the PVR, I got a pop-up message saying the data on the hard drive is corrupted and needs to be deleted, the only option was "Delete Now". It took couple of minutes to format the drive and it rebooted. Also, this new Seagate drive is sliimer and only draws about one third the power compared to the original Hitachi drive, hence it runs much cooler.

#90 ·
I have a 9200 with both tuners in use and it would appear that I am in line for MPEG-4 replacement so...I will be purchasing the Seagate Pipeline HD ST3500312CS 500GB from newegg dot ca as well in anticipation of the said swap.

Keep you all informed...

Dan

#91 ·
Happiness is a self-repaired 9242

Slider, following your lead, I too ordered a recertified drive from Newegg. I installed it in my 9242 receiver in just 15 minutes, powered on the thing, reformatted the drive and voilà ! The receiver now records and plays back perfectly, just like before. Well spent 50 dollars.

Thanks.

Yagi

#94 ·
Long time lurker, first time poster. Thanks for all the great info.

Question about 9242. As part of the mpeg4 swap I am getting the 9242. I was wondering if anyone knows if the internal hard drive craps out on the 9242 will the external hard drive keep working thus avoiding the risk of trying to match a replacement internal hard drive?

I previously tried and failed at replacing the hard drive in my 9200.

#96 ·
Does it make sense to order the drive with a hard drive enclosure, and use it with a 6131 for example until the original hard drive in the 9242 goes bad? Big downside of course is that it is being used but if the original one never goes bad at least you used the backup drive for another purpose.

#97 ·
finding HDD

Anybody have any luck finding the 1TB drives like Hitachi HCS5C1010CLA382
or Hitachi HCT721010SLA360 or Seagate ST31000424CS or Seagate ST31000335CS because the 9242 will use their full capacity (but not more than 1TB I think). I tried everywhere and if a store lists it, its a dummy run because they always come back with no stock. So if someone knows where to find one of these, please post for all. I'm at wits end.

#98 ·
Although I know some 1TB drives are listed for the 9242 (622), I have never heard of one person finding a 1TB approved drive, let alone trying it.

500gb is the max supported by firmware AFAIK. You are better off using an external HDD for storage. Then you can use up to 2TB on top of the internal drive.

#105 ·
Bought the st3500312cs from ********

Worked lie a charm but had to dose things before it was recognized on the 9242.

1) used seatools and set the drive to full zero
2) After installing the drive still received the 05b1 error. Did the following in sequence and the hdd was finally recognized.

Accessing the memory dump screen:
Press Menu, 6 (System Setup), 3 (Diagnostics).
Within 5 seconds press Info, Browse, Theme

Format HDD:
You should be at the Memory Dump screen.
Press Play, Play, Recall

The receiver asks if you want to delete now. Say yes n the system reboots and formats the drive.

Awesome"!! I havet had pvr function in overa year. Glad I found this post on workable drives at*******

#106 ·
Recovered hard drive

I have a 9242 with a bad hard drive that I decided to try to recover since I missed out on getting the recertified drive when it was available (I will get one if they become available again). My computer saw that there was a drive but it seemed that it didn't start to spin.

One post said that the PVR sends a start-up signal needed to start the spin. I connected the power on the HD to my computer and the sata cable to the PVR and turned them on. After switching the sata cable to the computer while the power was on both, I rebooted the computer and the HD showed up with 4 Linux partitions.

I used SpinRite to recover the HD, it took over 10 hours but when finished it didn't show any errors. I replaced it in the 9242 and connected it and it still had 2 recordings from the last time I used it (May 2010). I had to phone Bell to reauthorize it but it has been working well for almost a week.

i hope this is useful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.