Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Bell TV 9241 HD PVR discussion thread

1M views 3K replies 596 participants last post by  dshag 
#1 ·
This discussion thread is for owners to discuss the new ExpressVu 9241 HD Receiver when it becomes available.

Any posts discussing when it will be available or from NON-owners will be deleted and the poster will receive an infraction.

Once again, this thread is for OWNERS only.

For non-owners who would like to learn more and discuss the new ExpressVu 6131 or 9241 receivers you can discuss it here.

#122 ·
I guess you're new to HD. Most programming on HD channels is SD, formatted 4x3. You must have had your Rogers box (or television) configured to stretch the SD content on the HD channels. You can do the same with Bell by using the format button on your remote (*). Only true HD material (or widescreen) is shown in the 16x9 aspect ratio.

-Mike

#123 ·
after yesterday frozen 9241, when i woke up this morning and powered it up there was no display image (only a black screen). The sound was ok and i could change channels but i had no image and had to reset the receiver to get the image back (anyone had this problem?)

In case I exchange the receiver I was wondering if I transfer recorded material on an external hd can i transfert it back to the new receiver or is it a one way transfert system?

#164 ·
Yes.
I had to send my 9241 back after two weeks. I didn't matter what we (Bell Tech & I) tried...I would always end up with the black screen...and sound.

I figured the unit blew it's video outputs as HDMI, Component and typical Red/White/Yellow failed to produce any display.

It was interesting however that on a reboot, I could hit the menu button as it was coming up and could see the setup screens for a bit....but after about 4 mins, it would flicker to blue...and then go black again.

Replacement unit is ok...but like the others have mentioned...The DVR functionality is a little buggy.

#124 ·
9241 with Harmony 659 Remote

Just reconfigured my Harmony 659 to add my new 9241, replacing the 6100. Worked perfectly and I have all the functionality of the Bell remote, including all the PVR functions. Was a little worried there would be a problem based on a couple of the posts I read in this thread.

#125 ·
LaCie 1TB Failure

Just had my month old LaCie 1TB ext HD fail night before last. I was moving some HDMI cables and all of a sudden the HD started to chatter and I noticed the message on the TV screen saying that a HD has been detected and is being checked. It then reset the receiver the tried formatting the HD even though it had been in use for a month. Tried to re-format a few times and then I plugged it into my pc where it wouldn't even show up.

Brought it back to FS and got a new one.

Anyone else having problems with their new LaCie drive?

#126 ·
Bell 9241 - Ext HDD

About to give up on external HDD for this receiver. All four HDrives have failed after recording many movies, my 4th drive will allow me to transfer a program from the internal drive to the external but as soon as you try to access the drive directly from the menu it will crash the reciever. The other 3 drives eventually were no longer recognized by the receiver so I had no choice but to delete partition and try again.

Wish there was a tried and true way to just swap out the internal drive.

#127 ·
A 1TB WD Green drive in a Vantec CX enclosure works like a charm. I had issues with other drives and enclosures but absolutely none with this combo. I leave it on always. The 9242 and EHD are both on a UPS. Poor connections (power/USB), turning the drive off or filling up the drive can all cause problems. (The drives can be turned off and/or disconnected safely but if it is done when the 9242 is writing the data will be toast.)

It sounds like some of the LaCie drives could be defective as well. I had a couple of older drives in generic enclosures develop intermittent write problems after being used on the 9242 for several weeks. Don't know how it happened but having two identical drives/enclosures both develop identical problems after being used on the 9241 is a little too coincidental. :confused:

#128 ·
frozen 9241

Hi, for the third time (in 10 days) this morning my 9241 was frozen with the internal fan running at full speed and i had to reset it. I called bell and they just told me to call them if it happens again. I am thinking it may happens when a automatic update is scheduled while it is recording. I don't know for the first 2 times but last night it was in those conditions so i'll try to see if it happens again that way.

#130 ·
At present the swap functionality does not work as it's tied to the PIP functionality (I believe) which is not available on the 9241 but was on the 9242. Hopefully this is something that can be added with an update later on.

As for the Harmony, although I don't have your model I have a 1000 and it works fine. Make sure the remote address of your receiver is set to address 1. If your remote isn't controlling the receiver at all my guess is the address is set to something other than 1.

#134 ·
Audio delay when skipping forward

To switch last night, I just went to the channel in the guide that was recording on tuner 2 and that worked fine.

I too miss the swap function.

Question for Pinza: why does the audio take 2-3 seconds to return after skipping forward when watching a recorded program?? (Note; this seems to be a receiver issue but none the less, its still happening) I have hdmi running the sound and component for video due to my set up limitations.

This has never been an issue on either the 9200 (which is being returned to Bell on rental) or the 9242 that I made the mistake of selling.

Thanks

Mark

#135 ·
I have not seen (or heard) that on the 9241, sounds like a receiver problem to me. I just called and asked a neighbor to see if his does that and he tells me no, its fine.

#136 ·
Interesting, b/c I didn't have the issue with my 9242. It doesn't occur when I watching the 9241 on a small tv in my office, hooked up through composite cables, only when the hdmi is running it into my receiver. I'll have to do some fiddling around to see if optical gives it the same problem.

Thanks for your help as always Pinza!!

Mark

#138 ·
Scary Bob ... so you would recommend the Western Digital over the Lacie drives. Best Buy has a Western Digital MyBook Essential 1TB 3.5" External Hard Drive (WDH1U10000N) for $169. I want to get the best, most reliable drive.

Today I took advantage of Bell's 25% rebate trade up ... 6000 for their newest HD PVR (it is being delivered and installed tomorrow). I have a 9200 but you cannot connect an external drive to it.

#139 ·
The 750GB LaCie that Bell were/are selling had a rough time when the 9242 was given the software update to allow for the addition of the EHD. Lots failing and being returned to retailers.

I know of 2 people with the WD MyBook and they seem to work great, even though they exceed the size given by Bell for a suitable drive.

#140 ·
Just a minor note, but yesterday afternoon (Mar 19) around 2:00 EDT, my 9241 rebooted itself. It shut itself down for just under a minute, then restarted. There didn't appear to be any software updates or any other changes.

One of those little mysteries, I guess. ;)

Paul

#141 ·
My 9241 arrived today. I initially had it set up with my Sony 36XBR400. Later I moved it to my Home Theater system and moved my old 9200 to my Sony. When I did that for some reason I could not get the video to sync. I had audio, but an out of sync video signal. I tried everything I could think of then called Bell support.

At one point the tech told me to try removing the component cables and then re-attaching them. I told him I had already tried that. For no reason, the tech yelled at me to do it again. His reaction was totally unprovoked ... I had told him in a normal voice with no irritation at all. His raised voice was totally out of order. I was a little annoyed. I had a tech react that way before ... either from Bell or SC.

After trying everything he could think of we ended the call. I continued trying things, eventually replacing the component cables ... that worked! The cables had worked with the 9241 during setup ... and were new, never been used!

By the way, the installer told me that unlike the 9200, you cannot do PIP with the 9241! I only rarely used the feature, but isn't that going backwards! You would think newer units would have more features, not less!

#142 ·
If you have a 9241, you don't have single vs. dual mode. The 9200 and 9242 have two video outputs, and they can either show the same programming or different programming. I use my 9200's second output in my office so I can watch my programs while the kids watch theirs. With the 9241, Bell has heard confusion like yours and taken the choice away (sigh).