Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Bell TV 6131 Discussion thread

781K views 2K replies 412 participants last post by  Battscrew 
#1 ·
This discussion thread is for owners to discuss the new ExpressVu 6131 HD Receiver when it becomes available.

Any posts discussing when it will be available or from NON-owners will be deleted and the poster will receive an infraction.

Once again, this thread is for OWNERS only.

For non-owners who would like to learn more and discuss the new ExpressVu 6131 or 9241 receivers you can discuss it here.

Edit by 57 - 6131 User Manual:

http://support.bell.ca/_web/guides/tv/userguide/receiver/6131/6131_12_ch10_eng(en).pdf

#116 ·
Does your 6131 drive work on your 6141? If yes, phone Bell. If not, then the drive may be corrupt

#118 ·
Wow, talk about the power of the telephone. Had the phone in my hand dialling Bell support, and decided to try one more time to see if I could get things going. Rebooted both units again, and, voila, back in business. Gotta love those gremlins living inside those boxes!
Sorry to take up space on a non-problem.

#119 ·
6131 Turns off When Guide Button Used

I received my 6131 as part of the upgrade program a few weeks ago. I turned off the screen saver function a few days in. Now however, when I come home from work and go to watch TV, about 80% of the time, when I hit the guide button, the unit turns itself off and goes through a whole reset procedure. It eventually comes back on an the loading status bar appears on the screen and then it's back to normal until the next day. The process takes about 3-5 minutes and drives me and my wife nuts. Anyone have any ideas?

#126 ·
new problem: 5131 to dvd recorder?

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get recordings from the EHD attached to my 6131 to my DVD recorder? I could do this easily with my 5290 pvr but not with the 6131 because there are no output jacks. Any ideas? Could I do it from the EHD or from the 6131.

bp

#129 ·
Does anyone have any ideas how I can get recordings from the EHD attached to my 6131 to my DVD recorder? I could do this easily with my 5290 pvr but not with the 6131 because there are no output jacks. Any ideas? Could I do it from the EHD or from the 6131.

bp
On my 6141 with a Lacie 750, I am able to record a program from the PVR to my Liteon DVD recorder through the RF coax output. When I play back the DVD, the picture isn't bad. My component,composite and Svideo outputs on the 6141 are already being used or the quality might even be better. I was then able to view the VOB files on my PC and play the movie back on the PC.

#134 ·
Trouble setting up PVR

How long should it take the 6131 to format a 500GB hard drive? The message that is shown on the screen about it taking a few minutes and to not disturb the receiver only stays for about 90 seconds and then the receiver reboots. After that the receiver says it must restart to enable the PVR enhancements, I do that but it keeps asking me to reboot, I gave up after the 5th / 6th time. Has this happened to anyone else? I also tried it on a 1 TB brand new HDD and the same thing happens.

#135 ·
Problems with Bell 6131 receiver

I activated my 6131 and attached an EHD (Simpletech, 2.5", 500gb, USB powered).

Problems I have had:

1) Black flickering screen every 10 seconds or so.
Remedy was to unplug and replug the EHD connection and wait for the reboot.

2) After extended periods, when I would turn the TV on, it would not have a signal from the 6131, was forced to manually unplug/replug.
Remedy was to disable Inactivity feature as well as Auto Updates. Not sure if this is correct or not. Will see by tomorrow.

3) PVR'ing seems to be messed up. When pausing Live TV or recording, get various scenarios. Freezing mostly or not consistent FF, Pause, etc...
Any ideas for this? Could it be because the HD is not a plug in 3.5" model? My friend has a similar EHD without a problem.

#139 ·
Keeps Blacking Out...

I got the receiver a week ago as part of the exchange program for my old 6000 receiver, and it has not worked properly since the time I plugged it in. After watching for 10-30min the screen goes black and I have to reset the receiver and wait 5 minutes for it to find the signal. Huge pain and very annoying. I have called Bell several times and they say "they are working on the problem". They also said that it is a problem with using HDMI, and if I switch to component then it would at least fix it temporarily - which didn't work.
As usual, they aren't much help and I am done with the 45 minute phone calls.
They say I have to wait for a firmware upgrade, which they are working on. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Andrew

#143 ·
I belive the EHD has to be a 3.5"
I don't believe the actual size matters. OTOH, many, if not most, external 2.5" drives do not meet the required specs. A powered, 7200RPM, 2.5" drive would probably work but a drive with those specs is uncommon. (A 2.5" WD Raptor in a powered case would meet the specs but would be costly. I also haven't heard any reports of someone trying one.) A 3.5" drive is the best bet.

#145 ·

Have been using a 9242 for 1.5 yrs. 1st year free for retention and last half year rent. I want to switch to a purchased receiver.

I had a temporary second wire run to my receiver that had to run past my fireplace...not pretty

I obtained a 6131 and am not sure about the choice. Very much liked the dual tuner and pic in pic.

Bell won't sell me the 9242 (has to be sent back apparently). Bell rep told me to use 2 - 6131's and switch the hard drive between them (My biggest issues is recording something on a different channel that I'm watching). Has anyone used this method? When I shut the hard drive down the 6131 reboots. Seems awkward to be switching the hard drive around.

#147 ·
Recording on external EHD

Hi,

I just bought a 6131 and I've been going through many threads to find the answer to my question but didn't find the answer yet.

I know you can't record and watch any of recorded stuff on your computer or another receiver but can you plug in the drive in your computer and still have other files like pictures or movies or whatever on the drive or can it ONLY be used for PVR with the receiver once you've formated it through the receiver ?

I already have a EHD that I use to store my movies for my WD HD TV Box (which is a great gadget for people looking for an easy way to watch their downloaded movies on a TV) and I was going to use the same EHD but can I ?

Thanks for your help

Newbie :)
Mat