Small C-Band Dish Wanted - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Inglewood
  • 1 Post By cyberham

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-08-01, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Small C-Band Dish Wanted

I want to get back to playing with FTA. I have done a lot with Ku-band dishes in past but I would like to try C-band for a change. I need something that can be rolled out of a garage, oriented manually (no rotator) for playing and then be rolled back into the garage at the end of the day. I think I could manage about a 5-foot dish or so.

I understand the compromise of using a dish this small on C-band. But it would still be more interesting to me than re-visiting Ku-band which I understand has even fewer satellites than a few years ago when I was active.

Short of buying all new, does anybody know where in the greater Toronto area I might find a suitable C-band dish, preferably on a hummingbird budget?

OTA: Sony digital TV, Clearstream 2V@7' high, 10dB line amp; FTA: New 1.2-metre Ku-band dish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-08-02, 01:04 PM

Have you checked your local scrapyard? You might be lucky and find one that isn't to banged up and have more fun trying to get it working than one that is already good to go. You'll get more experience with it especially if you are going to roll it back and forth each time you use it.

My favorite channel on FTA is AZTECA TV channel 13 on can't remember what bird. Lots of eye candy!

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-08-02, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

No I haven't checked the scrap yards but it is a good suggestion. If I had more free time I'd do that. I see there is a nice 10-footer advertised locally free for the taking. But that is too large for my situation and it is on top of a tall pole which would require special removal equipment and/or ability.

OTA: Sony digital TV, Clearstream 2V@7' high, 10dB line amp; FTA: New 1.2-metre Ku-band dish.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-08-02, 05:50 PM

Have you looked at what Tek2000 has to offer, and the other Toronto dealer who used to be a sponsor here?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Last edited by 57; 2017-08-02 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-08-02, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for jogging my memory on tek2000. jorgek let me know about them a couple of weeks ago and I haven't revisited their site since I got this C-band bug. I definitely know about the other shop and over this long weekend I just may pay my first visit there since I've followed his comments and business for years.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-08-03, 10:22 AM

I was able to pick up a whole KU band system a few years ago for free just by putting an ad on Kijiji looking for someone that is looking to get rid of one. I had to dismantle it myself (about 4 hours work), but it worked out great.

@Danster - I wonder how many people watch TV Azteca and have no clue what is going on! It's funny how every guy on that channel is over 60 wearing 3-piece suits, and every woman is under 30 wearing barely any clothing. It's the future of Fox News...
Danster likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-08-05, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

The situation seems to be changing rapidly. Tek2000 in the last few days have changed their website to show minimum C-band dish is their 8' (240 cm) model. Nothing smaller in stock now. It is too large for my situation. I may bite the bullet and just get a Ku-band dish. Better than nothing.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-08-06, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Yesterday I contacted tek2000 to go to their store to buy a dish. But I learned they only deal via online. I didn't want that since I wanted to see/touch/feel the product and have it for the long weekend. So I went to the other store and bought a nice 1.2-metre Ku-band dish and carried it home in the van. Nothing like physical shopping. This worked out well since I've always wanted a 1.2-metre. Preliminary efforts yesterday resulted in no signals. This is the end of this thread. I will start new ones as I struggle to get my new toy working.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-08-11, 02:15 AM
Rookie

Did you know you can still receive C band on that 120 cm dish? Just equip it with a good quality LNB and a scaler ring.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-08-12, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

This is my next project. I am studying C-band LNBs and offset dish scalar rings now.
Cham likes this.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-10-10, 09:59 AM

Hi Cyber,
My smallest mini-bud is a 7.5 foot spun aluminum dish. Works ok but misses many of the 8psk feeds etc. I also have an 8 ft offset Channel Master dish that I use for C-band on 127W, it works fine using a C2 LNBF and stepped (offset) scaler. I find this setup can work very well for tuning a specific transponder (frequency); in other words it can be rather narrow-banded. Tuning the LNB position and scaler position on the LNBF, one can get more broad-band results at the expense of S/N over the whole band. After spending some time I managed to get all the TPs I was interested in to tune, but some without a lot of headroom. NASA TP is very stable so it locks well even at 1-2dB over the noise.
Good luck!

SBGH @ 46', 10' C-band, & various home made projects...
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-10-24, 01:34 PM
Rookie

Cham, try picking up Rumble TV on Galaxy 19 @ 97 degrees west.

FR 3933 V
SR 3333

It's 8PSK but people get it now on 6 foot antennas.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 2017-11-18, 09:52 PM

You will need to get a conical scalar ring, and aim for strong birds and dvbs channels with a fec of 3/4 would be your best bet. I played around with this stuff years ago with a cheap fortec 1.2m, I had a few channels on some birds. A quality lnbf would be a good choice maybe a PLL would be your best bet.

You should be able to find some fixed prime focus dishes from any Canadian C-band dealer, I know there are or were many sizes available not so long ago.

4DTV DSR922 HDD 200 VC 2+ GI2500R VC 2 Pansat 2500a c/ku/dbs feed 10.6ft Clearview mesh AMC-8 to AMC-12 24"Venture.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.