Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Convert Offset to Prime Focus?

6K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  DXer 
#1 ·
I have a 1.2M Offset Dish (and several 1.0M ones) that I wanted to use for C Band but the LNBF mount is way too small. So if I am going to have to fabricate something, I was thinking about converting it to Prime Focus.

Is it even possible?

It is a very heavy, Channel Master Fibreglass Dish with currently 3 arms at the bottom.

Just curious.

#4 ·
why sell it? the 1.2m channelmaster is a fine antenna.
I am thinking if ya sell it, you may wish you hadn't some day.
If ya sell anything, sell the 1.0m antennas.

#5 ·
Technically, an offset is superior to a prime focus one.

The big difference is that offset antenna cast no shadow. aka there should be nothing blocking the signal to the LNB. Also, offset dishes should be better for snow as their more vertical.

The only advantage I can see for prime focus dish would be for elevations <10 degree.

Good luck,
EB

#6 ·
Thanks for the input guys.

I might contact Channel Master, see if I can get the correct mount for a "C" Band LNBF, before doing anything drastic like buying a new Dish.

Cheers.

#7 ·
#8 ·
Thanks again majortom, that is indeed the dish.

My problem is the diameter of the mount in front of the dish, it takes a STD KU or Circular but is just too small for the C Band/Ku LNBF I have.

Maybe there is a C Band LNBF with a smaller diameter, perhaps just a C Band only one, not the combined one.

I will post a couple of pictures later.

#9 ·
I am not 100% sure, but I think these are the same or similar made by ASC with someone else's name on them. May be some part numbers to look for (2nd hand locally, ebay, whatever) in here.

http://skywareglobal.com/index.php/vsat

#12 ·
I am first going to see if I can change the LNBF mount to accept a "C" Band LNBF, failing that I will just pop down to Oakville and grab a large Dish from Dr Sat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.