Can't find Al Jazeera - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-03-10, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Can't find Al Jazeera

Said to be on Gal 19...even on THE most authoritative site, Al Jazeera's own web site, but using its freq, figures etc. no signal appears. Had it a few months ago but only record of where it was, was in a Favorite list on my RCVR, but last time I tried it a few days ago....no signal. And, as it happens lost all Fav due to a power surge deleted them.

Other Forum sites state Al Jazeera English on Galaxy 19, Tr 26, 12152V, 4025-4035 but no signal. I might email Al Jazeera except they don't show a "contact us" email address. If I could, I am tempted to tell them that THEIR OWN FREQ'S ETC DO NOT WORK.

It must be on a satellite somewhere as some Cable and consumer Satellite companies are carrying it and they must be picking it up from some satellite!.

Also, Russia Today I can't find it either....it had been one I lost from my Favorite list due to the power surge. Googled for it and Al Jazeera but no luck.

Hope someone can tell me where to find Al Jazeera particularly.

I just registered for this 'digitalhome.ca" site....and was accepted, but unsure if this post will go through.

Last edited by Lenwill2; 2012-03-10 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Error in a comment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-03-10, 03:04 PM

Watching Al Jazeera now on Galaxy 19 at 97W on 12152 H 20000. Russia Today is on same transponder. Signals are normal.

Strictly a "paper" FTA and OTA enthusiast now: all equipment in storage waiting for a new home.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-03-10, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Al Jazeera's web site showed an error on specs.

Their site has 12152 and a 'V' but answer from Cyberham states watching it now on 12152 H...HORIZONTAL So, their site made an ERROR!

Now to go try it as HORIZONTAL....THANKS CYBERHAM!
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-03-10, 04:23 PM

You are correct. The Al Jazeera website is incorrect in showing V polarization. Maybe they used to be on V. lyngsat.com shows it correctly. Definitely having the wrong polarity will stop you from seeing it. Go flip to H and enjoy. I like this station too.

Strictly a "paper" FTA and OTA enthusiast now: all equipment in storage waiting for a new home.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-03-11, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberham View Post
Watching Al Jazeera now on Galaxy 19 at 97W on 12152 H 20000. Russia Today is on same transponder. Signals are normal.
To Cyberham - You menioned RT is on same TP as Al Jazeers. I looked up the freq info and it is same as Al jazeera.....how can this be? Can you give me the exact freq , etc info? If one enters the freq how do you know if you will get RT or AJ?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-03-11, 04:20 PM

Each satellite can have many active transponders. And each transponder frequency can have many TV channels. When you scan the 12152 transponder, your FTA receiver will lock onto each channel and save it in your channel list. You can then tune into each individual channel. In fact, the 97W satellite has a total of over 250 TV channels. The Al Jazeera transponder has 10 TV channels and 10 radio channels. Look here on lyngsat for the details: [url]http://www.lyngsat.com/Galaxy-19.html[/ur

Added: I just scanned 97W. I scanned in a total of 267 TV channels plus 154 radio channels. Some of these are scrambled so you can't view those.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-03-14, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Al Jazeera etc

To Cyberham, particularly and others who may be interested......

On the dozens of channels that appear on Galaxy 19, I noted perhaps a dozen or so all called: GLOBEC with numbers after name for eaxh one listed
GLOBEC 004 - when I realized it was in ENGLISH - I also was pleasently surprised to see the AL JAZEERA logo and then within the program mention this is Al Jazeera!

On another GLOBEC channel -011 RT - RUSSIA TODAY appears!
The GLOBEC name doesn't reveal what is actually there!
As I had been enquiring on this Forum for how to access Al Jazeera ( and RT), I am pleased to post this information for the members.

So, by luck I don't have to enter the AJ TP etc as given on the Forum, or create a new channel with the necessary details to see if I could finally receive it. This was so lucky I can hardly believe it.

If some members have not viewed these two channels....and like world news, these are two you really should try.

LEN
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-03-14, 01:48 PM

What you describe is a peculiarity of your particular receiver. What receiver are you using? That transponder seems to be owned or managed by Globecast World TV. On most receivers (mine anyway), AJ scans in as "Al Jazeera" and RT scans in as "Russia Today". Anyway, it's good you found them. I agree that AJ is a great alternative news source to balance the heavily American-dominated news reports. RT is interesting, but I'm afraid its content is SO heavily weighted against the U.S. that it gets like a comedy sometimes. But it's always good to hear other opinions.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-03-14, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Re GLOBEC

I have a VIEWSAT 9000HD RCVR. The GLOBEC channels shown in the 'usual' list of Gal 19 channels. I just clicked on one and saw the Al Jazerra content.
As i said this was a plesant surprise not to have to create one for AJ.

PS if any member has a VIEWSAT 9000HD, I would love to ask question or two about some procedures.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-08-15, 03:54 PM

I do realize that this thread is rather old but i just want to mention that using my brand new geosat pro from micro HD using it's blind scan feature, i found Al Jazeera and Russia Today on a transponder not listed on lyngsat or other website, it's 12155. Me too lost 12152 this spring.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-08-15, 06:17 PM

I am getting tons of double scanned channels on 97W with my Micro HD. I'm not sure what's up either.
Steve
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-08-16, 11:39 AM

Delete the old/orginal TP values.

A box should scan with same default settings. However the "real" TP value were probably enter as defaults. As it doesnt matter if your off by -/+ 6 Mhz. So long you pull in the channel.

Read ya l8r,
Al

OTA: DB8 + Y5 2-6 + CM777. FTA: 30W + 72W + 87W + 97W
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 2012-08-18, 04:18 PM
Rookie

Al Jazerra can also can be found on Intelsat 9 at 3840 V 27690
besides being on ku side of Galaxy 19 at 12152 H 20000.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.