Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Louisiana PBS Symbol rate change

6K views 36 replies 7 participants last post by  cyberham 
#1 ·
SES2 87W
11805 H 11150
DVB-S2 8PSK

Ya may wanna check your reception quality as compared to yesterday or earlier.
Seems OK here, ~ 80% qual on the Openbox S9, and 91% on the Prof 7500 USB tuner.

edit: The SR was 12475 yesterday

#2 ·
All 3 channels are broken video and audio. Signal intensity 90% but quality 10% (nothing) to 25%. This is with dish peaked the best I can by motor. But at least I'm receiving them; I haven't seen them since late autumn last year.

#3 ·
gotta be sumthin related to your LNBF(s), Your dish size (1m) should be sufficient I would think.
Is that on the Ariza dish, or the Multistar? From what I have heard that Ariza should be a decent performer.

How well do ya do on other reported DVB-S2 8PSK Feeds?

#4 ·
I am finding daily variations in conditions are having a big effect on reception. For example, tonight Pentagon was very strong. Even the Pentagon HD station was perfect reception tonight. Other nights it is invisible. Huntington Beach was strong tonight. Again, other nights it is invisible. Until I can compare with somebody local, I'm not sure I have any problem. We are usually in a different part of the footprint of signals compared with Toronto. I have emailed with a local but he has a 1.2m so not really comparable.

I am using the D*g*w*v*e dish (why won't this forum allow the word D*g*w*v*e??). It is similar to the Ariza. There aren't too many DVB-S2 8PSK on 15W through 121W excluding 103W which I can't receive since I can't do its skew on my motor. In fact, I don't think there are any other regular DVB-S2 other than LPB. The S9 doesn't indicate if a signal is DVB-S2 or DVB so I never know what a feed is using.

#8 ·
I am finding daily variations in conditions are having a big effect on reception.
I was seeing LPB slowly fade out last nite too. Would gradually fade out, and gradually come back, repeat. wierd.

#6 ·
Thanks Dr Sat. I've said it before, but you're channel list is, imo, one of the most useful FTA tools available on the 'net. Must have used it minimum 100 times so far (including last night..... FX HD West.. awesome!)

Cheers, K

#7 ·
Yes, database is very useful. I have used it often. It would be cool if users could conveniently submit noticed errors via a linked template. The ku portion is mostly accurate now (even Telstar 12 is complete!), but I see a couple of things that need updating.

#9 ·
I think the 200 feet of RG-6 running to my distant dish is probably a big factor for trouble receiving LPB. If I put a separate fixed dish on back balcony with just 50 feet of cable, then I'll reduce cable loss by 15dB. And I could probably swing it over to play with the NBC feeds on 103W too.

#10 ·
Yes 200' of RG-6 is getting a bit lossy... you could try some RG-11 for that sort of distance but moving things closer works even better.
-C.

#11 ·
I can't move the motorized dish any closer or I lose view of the arc due to trees. But I can probably peek between trees with a much closer fixed dish that I can easily manually orient to get LPB / PBS / NBC. RG-11 isn't as easy to find locally.

#18 ·
A Plan

Next sunny warm day, I'll take my Canadian Tire car battery booster, inverter, S9, slingbox, wifi adapter down to the dish, connect directly to the LNB output with a short jumper, then transmit the video back to my house router. I can use my wifi PC to catch the video from my router while standing beside the dish. Or...I could get one of the many free 13" TVs advertised on kijiji and just hook it to my S9 that's connected to the LNB. I have a plan; I need nice weather.

This will settle for zero cost whether reducing cable length will help the received signal strength of LPB.

#20 ·
cyberham,
the setup I just described above would be very handy in a case like yours,
Because the program actually does an RF sweep of the entire IF spectrum, you'll get a visual indication of the RF Signal strength across the band.
You could compare a sweep as is down the entire length of your feedline,
then sweep again with the tuner closer to the antenna, and compare the overall levels, and ability to lock known transponders.
After a while you get a feel for what it takes, SNR wise to lock different types of feeds.

If you really want to know what it takes, download this spreadsheet which is useful to compare the measured C/N versus the known parameters a certain feed is using, you can then determine exactly how much margin you have in your system for that feed.

http://www.32apsk.org/wordpress/?p=240

Personally I think something was wrong with that transponder the other nite. I'll try and check it out again later tonite, see if it still acts up on me here.
If it does there may not be anything really wrong on ur end.

#23 ·
@MT--> It seems you recommend the Prof7500, where did you get it? I cant find it anywhere, including *bay.
Check *bay listing 320845806837

If I could get at this price, I would grab it. Are we going to bid against each other?

#22 ·
ur right I don't see them at DRsat's site. I wonder if they might sell them but just don't advertise it?

http://proftuners.com/prof7500.html

It's PCI cousin is the 7301.

PS - Just because I have one doesn't mean it's the best card out there. Honestly, I wouldn't really know
because it's the only one I've ever had. But I have been happy with it.

#27 ·
1. Reduce losses in system: shorten dish-to-receiver cable length; change cable to lower loss type, eliminate any diseqc switches between LNB and receiver, confirm cable connectors are good quality and installed well.

2. Increase received signal level: orient dish precisely both azimuth and elevation; change LNB for a model with lower noise figure, higher gain; increase dish size.

3. Give up and try for 125W Ku PBS where there is a good assortment of PBS stations also.

#29 ·
PBS North Carolina is currently ITC and available from 61.5W Ku. That local could disappear any time, but it's easy to get and strong right now with a circular LNB. Any chance to get OTA PBS from Rochester or Buffalo? You've got a nice tall tower for a high gain TV antenna. Ever thought of going to C-band? I'll bet drsat could fix you up with necessary hardware. I presume PBS is available on C-band.

#30 ·
U got some details on PBS @61.5? Rochester PBS is not reliable this time of year, Buffalo is rock solid always. I just like multiple choices. Spoke with DR Sat last week about large dish. we will see.

#31 ·
Tonight I am receiving LPB2 and LPB3 the best in the last 2 or 3 months. Both are solid with only occasional break in the video. LPBHD is clear audio but no video. Yet the RF signal seems not to be any stronger than any other time. Hard to understand why reception is considerably better today than usual.

#32 ·
http://beta.lpb.org/index.php/site/satellite/

I wonder if they removed this adjacent signal, at 11800 H 1250??
They were testing that I think to see how much pain ya had to go through to receive
low symbol rate signals, adjacent to a wider one. Suspect that's why they changed
symbol rates to begin with, to make room for the adjacent low symbol rate signal.

I was able to lock the low symbol rate signal the other day, but couldn't decode anything useful from it. It may still be there, I will look for it again in a bit. But right now LPBS looks fine here. Anyone else able to lock that 1250 guy?

#33 · (Edited)
I think they're doing something, or something has changed. Do you see clear video on LPBHD? I've never had trouble getting LPBHD when the other two sigs were there. Both LPB2 and LPB3 crystal clear now: no breakup at all. But tonight only audio on the HD.

Added: Re-scanned and now video on LPBHD is perfect. Hope LPB remains like this.

#34 ·
Yes, all 3 channels are solid, video and audio look fine, no errors in stream.
Should be all kinds of margin available. I'm receiving it at almost 13 dB SNR here , and it won't fail until ~ 5.5 dB SNR with a SR of 11150, 8PSK at FEC 3/5.
Are you seeing the CNN HD Feed at 11960 H 29270? Ya should it's even stronger and only DVB-S / QPSK.

LPBS Constellation

SES 2 Horizontal rfscan

#35 ·
Constellation?

...Are you seeing the CNN HD Feed at 11960 H 29270?...
The CNN feed is always strong and visible here since it first appeared ITC. My stations to check to know if reception conditions are good are LPB, Pentagon, and Huntington Beach cams. All of these were visible and strong last night; maybe the cold, clear air was a factor. I always wonder how much the humid maritime environment and temperature swings affect all of this. It dropped to -10 degrees last night.

I really have no idea what a constellation diagram shows or is for. The Constellation was a cool Studebaker made in the 50's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.