HOW do you make an original 1998 Sony memory stick work with a ps3 by USB? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 2017-10-14, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

HOW do you make an original 1998 Sony memory stick work with a ps3 by USB?

HOW do you view the photos of an original 1998 Sony memory stick by using the USB of a ps3? (not a memory card, the first kind of memory stick that came out in 1998). My camera with or without memory stick inserted doesnt work with my ps3. What exact adapter do i need to buy so the original Sony memory stick will fit and connect to it with USB cable out to USB in of ps3? Theres some different kinds available but as my memory tells me sometimes you buy a device thats not compatible with other devices or ps3, then you gotta return it or not use it.

HERES a picture of front and back of an original Sony 64 mb memory stick that i own with photos on it-

Last edited by nicdim; 2017-10-15 at 12:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 2017-10-14, 10:57 PM
Veteran

Does your Sony Memory card slot not work?
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 2017-10-15, 12:05 AM
Premium Supporter

According to the specs, the IOGEAR 56-in-1 Memory Card Reader/Writer (GFR281) available at BestBuy will accept the Memory Stick.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 2017-10-15, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSgamby View Post
Does your Sony Memory card slot not work?
Not a 64 mb ps2 memory card, a 1998 memory stick from a camera.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 2017-10-15, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
According to the specs, the IOGEAR 56-in-1 Memory Card Reader/Writer (GFR281) available at BestBuy will accept the Memory Stick.
Great, Thanks, Glad that they sell a new device where the older and newer memory sticks can both be inserted. Thats how it always should be really, older tech compatible with newer tech.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 2017-10-15, 01:22 AM
Veteran

Now, whether or not that will work with the PS3 is another matter entirely.

You are expecting a console designed primarily for games to function as a fully-fledged computer and support things that very, very few people would actually use. It's not designed for that!
DSgamby likes this.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 2017-10-15, 03:43 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Not a 64 mb ps2 memory card, a 1998 memory stick from a camera.
That's MB not mb or GB. A 64MB card is next to useless theses days. Unless there is something that really needs to be recovered, it's not worth the cost. An 8GB USB flash drive costs about $5 vs $20 or more for the IOGear reader. The card reader will most likely require a computer to work.
DSgamby likes this.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 2017-10-15, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

^(ExDilbert said-"thats MB not mb"-[?????oKaY?])

Just need to upload a few photos of myself to my facebook or other sites using memory stick and ps3.(dont want to buy lap top because my old computers always got viruses, ps3 doesnt). Heres a device i bought already, the memory stick fits but the device doesnt work on my ps3 USB-

-
Heres a flash drive that does work through USB of ps3. I have one but dont have new camera for it.-

-
Anyone know if my 1998 memory stick will fit in this memory stick flash drive and if it'll work on ps3- (its like a gamble i take if i buy it)-OR WOULD this new memory stick fit in my camera, my camera only has 1 slot for my 1998 memory stick, i wonder if this new memory stick will fit in it-

-
Heres another device where the 1998 memory stick will fit in, anyone know if this will work on ps3-

-

Last edited by nicdim; 2017-10-16 at 01:04 AM.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 2017-10-15, 11:13 PM
Veteran

I suggest you take the device you already have and use a PC to transfer the pictures to the newer USB flash drive that works on the PS3. A friends computer or public one at a school or library should do the job, unless they have the USB ports disabled.
denben73 likes this.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 2017-10-15, 11:30 PM
Veteran

Memory Stick Pro Duo cards won't work in your camera, so that's out. Multi-card adapters also won't work since they have specific drivers that the PS3 won't have.

It's not the answer you want, but ExDilbert's suggestion is the best. As I said earlier, stop trying to expect the PS3 to do things it was never designed to do. If you aren't willing to listen and accept what we're telling you, it won't be worth our time to keep repeating the same thing.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 2017-10-15, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
take device you already have and use PC to transfer pics to newer USB flash drive that works on PS3.friends or public or library should do job,unless they have USB ports disabled.
USB will be obsolete? (thats why i dont keep on buying new devices because they'll or some cable will soon be obsolete). Im only using my ps3 to get on line, dont want to buy a lap top because my older 3 computers(1998 to 2014 RIP-[I sledged my last computer out of frustration]) kept on getting serious viruses that disabled them 3 times a year each, so im sticking to my ps3 because it doesnt get attacked by the bad people of the internet world. Been 3 great years using my ps3 on line with no problems.

But thanks for advice, i could use my 1998 memory stick on my dad's computer and transfer the photos to my flash drive thats usable on my ps3 through USB---(let me check, yup the USB port is still there on my ps3, it didnt get upgraded by some unknown person on internet without my knowledge, hahaha).

Last edited by nicdim; 2017-10-16 at 11:23 AM.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 2017-10-15, 11:44 PM
Veteran

What is a PS3? Why would anyone want one? Never heard of...
Nicdimwitt is yet another user to get banned from visibility.

DB4E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 4way split LG lcd.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 2017-10-15, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom View Post
What is a PS3? Why would anyone want one? Never heard of...
throwing away Bioshock 1 to 3, Deus ex human revolution, Fallout 3, Dead space 1, 2, The orange box, Far cry 2, Dishonered, Crysis 2 would be like throwing away my heart and brain.

Last edited by nicdim; 2017-10-16 at 12:49 AM.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 2017-10-15, 11:52 PM
Veteran

Quote:
im sticking to my ps3 because it doesnt get attacked by the bad people of the internet world.
A PS3 can be hacked. A camera can be hacked. Anything that contains a microprocessor chip can be hacked. It happens all the time.
denben73 likes this.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 2017-10-15, 11:53 PM
Veteran

Quote:
throwing away ... my heart and brain.
No comment.
gzink likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.