Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Would you buy a used console game?

7K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Ladychicken 
#1 ·
If yes, how would you test it out? Is it advisable to buy games which are older than 3 months? How long till the disc quality degrades? I've always wondered how eBay determines the prices of used games.

Purchasing new games is slowly turning out to be an expensive affair.

#2 ·
I buy and sell a lot of used games and consoles on eBay myself. If you are dealing with someone that is reputable that stands behind there products and has a good feedback you will be safe. I find sellers on Kijiji to be hit or miss.

I haven't found one disc out of thousands that have gone through my hands that has degraded - if it doesn't work, it is usually due to damage (scratching or chipping). Over the weekend I went through about 100 PS1 discs that were thrown loose in a box and they all worked fine.

Depending on the system you are looking for, a lot of thrift stores in my area have a selection of Xbox, PS2, 360, and PS3 games along with handhelds from that generation. The older systems are harder to find, but do run into PS1 and N64 games here and there.

#3 ·
I have over 500 videogames, from ps1,2,3, xbox, 360, and owning so many games have a benifit. Out of the 500 you'll discover your very favorite videogames that as the years go by you'll develop a craving to replay them again. So buying used consoles, hand controllers as back ups are a must especially when theyre like new or great condition, so you can always replay your favorites. How can i not want to replay Half life 1, Deus ex the conspiracy, Bioshock 1, Dead space 1, Resident evil 1,2,3, etc? The discs last many or a number of decades, 20 yrs plus with no problems.

#6 ·
I own a whopping total of 0 Video games, yes you read that correctly... ZERO. I am in my 40's, married and with children. I would NOT buy a used video game console even if you paid me. If I was in my 20's and single and living with mommy and daddy then maybe I would buy a used one instead of a new one cus I was not rich in my 20's we were in the lower class so we could not afford new things, we had to buy used things and yes I also shopped at bargain harolds cus I could not afford name brand clothing back in my early youth. so it makes sense for me based on our family income.

#7 ·
Thats great and all.
And generally I would agree, if your looking at the CURRENT stuff. Can you buy it from the store new.. if $ isnt an issue and you want it, then get it new, less chance of a problem.

But every person is different and in a different situation. I am not at a point where I cant afford to do basic collecting/playing. But nor am I rich enough to be able to afford to get everything and all brand new.
Console is one thing.. but a game, which is the same game if new or used, why not get it cheaper if I can. Save some money to afford another.

When you start getting into no longer produced stuff, that is where you run into that there is no other options.

(and I am 40+, with work, a good job, and I am still an avid gamer. I own 15 console, about 10 handheld systems, games, etc. But I enjoy collecting. And I DO play them. (just wish I did have a little more time to do it more, but life first eh?))

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.