Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Xbox One DVR + W10 confirmed for 2016

5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  douggyd 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Details were few but gamescon 2015 it was just announced DVR and Windows 10 coming to Xbox One this fall!

So those who predicted Xbox One would be replacing WMC were spot on. They also mentioned Windows10 could be a DVR client and it also supported download / offline mode. So you could take your recorded shows with you camping or on the bus etc. Interesting.

The only question I have now is, is this enough for Audacity to jump for an Xbox One? ;)

#3 ·
Official Announcement

gamescom 2015: DVR for Over-the-Air TV Coming to Xbox One

By Xbox Wire Staff posted August 04, 2015 at 7:35 AM

Today, onstage at gamescom, we unveiled one of the most requested live TV features on Xbox Feedback: DVR for Over-the-Air TV, which lets you record live over-the-air TV, schedule recordings and take your shows on-the-go.

Ever since we introduced the Hauppauge Digital TV Tuner for Xbox One in the U.S. and Canada and the Xbox One Digital TV Tuner in 16 European countries and Australia, you’ve been enjoying free over-the-air TV channels. Many of you have also streamed over-the-air TV to other devices within your home using the Xbox app on Windows 10 devices or the Xbox One SmartGlass app on Windows, Windows Phone, iOS and Android, even while someone else is using Xbox One.

With DVR for Over-the-Air TV, you’ll never miss a minute of your favorite TV shows, movies or sporting events when you want to play a game or need to step out. Once your Xbox One is set up for over-the-air TV*, it’s as easy as plugging a USB hard drive into your Xbox One console and recording your content. And by recording content to an external drive, there’s no impact on your gameplay activities or ability to save to the console.

Let’s take a closer look at some of the top new features, including how to record live over-the-air TV, schedule recordings and take your shows with you on-the-go:

Watch Recorded Shows on Mobile Devices: From your Xbox One, you can stream recorded TV shows to other devices, either via the Xbox app on Windows 10, or through Xbox SmartGlass for iOS and Android. Even better, you can also download shows to your Windows 10 phone, PC or tablet so you can watch them on an airplane, on a bus – really anywhere – even without an internet connection.

Schedule Recordings On-The-Go: You can schedule recordings from OneGuide on your Xbox One console, the Xbox app on Windows 10 devices or with Xbox SmartGlass on iOS and Android devices. You can also add, review and edit your scheduled recordings from your PC, tablet or phone while you are away from home with ease.

DVR Collections: The amount of TV you can record and save is limited only by the size of the hard drive that you plug into your Xbox One. There are no time limits or other constraints, so you can DVR something and save it forever, enabling you to build an amazing collection of your favorite TV shows, movies and sporting events.

We’re looking forward to bringing you this feature as a subscription-free service in 2016.* Stay tuned for more.

*After purchasing the necessary hardware, there are no monthly service fees for OneGuide or over-the-air DVR services. DVR for Over-the-Air TV will be available in select countries where over-the-air TV is available in 2016.
Source: http://news.xbox.com/2015/08/gamescom-dvr-for-over-the-air-tv

#6 ·
Full Disclosure, I work for Microsoft - but not in a group related to XBOX.

Looks like Microsoft has backed off the DVR support. I do love using the Digital Tuner on my XBOX one - the EPG is fantastic, accurate & trouble free, but I would love DVR functionality. I do have a Kodi box coming in through the HDMI for some streaming but would like to record my own shows and eliminate the need for that box.

I see now that the HDHomeRun app is available on XBOXOne. I have an old HDHomeRun which I don't think is compatible, so before I go out and drop $200 on an HDHomeRun Extend - I'm wondering if anybody else has this setup on their XBOX?

Is their EPG good? Does the DVR work well (do you have to pay extra for that). What storage solution do you use for recordings?

Thanks

Barry

#7 ·
Hi,

I haven't been around much lately but I am in the same boat as you. Saw that Xbox had a change of heart regarding DVR on X1 and I also have an older SD tuner that is not compatible with the new way of doing things. I love my setup with an OG Xbox One + Kinect for IR blasting and voice commands. Having a DVR would put it over the top for me. I heard somewhere (I don't recall where) if you contact Silicon Dust and tell them the situation they might offer a bit of a discount to upgrade.

BTW... I was considering going to the X1S but after I found out no IR blasting via Kinect, I decided not to upgrade. I will wait until Scorpio next year. Not sure what to do then with the OG Xbox One but I am inclined to keep it setup as is lol.

#8 ·
I thought the xbox one s had an IR blaster built in, no need for Kinect. I am also using the OTA adapter and have been waiting for DVR functionality. Sad to hear it is likely not coming. Just bought a new tv with built in tuner, so may just go that route and wait until project scorpio comes out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.