HD DVD fans: It really isn't that bad.... really! - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-01-10, 01:56 PM

Popularizing HD DVD

I picked up an HD player in December for a good price, have been enjoying it, and was disappointed to hear the WB decision, as I truly feel HD DVD is the better executed format, IMHO. But I digress, there are many other threads for that discussion...

However, with all the reading on the web, I have not read anything about WB actually making a commitment to Blu... have they actually signed a contract or anything to this effect?

Just wondering if they can still change their mind if the market changes from here through May, as HD player sales were quite strong over the holidays and with the very real chance of discounted movies/players in the coming months, it is possible sales may pick up significantly. Can WB still (legally/contractually) change their mind about their Blu decision before June?

Furthermore, I do have an idea for HD DVD that is a bit radical but could potential help them greatly improve title sales and get back in the game by taking advantage of a uniquely HD-DVD feature;

Given the HDM market is miniscule compared to DVD sales, and HD DVD is the only format capable of doing combo format discs (SD on one side, HD on the other), why not work out a deal with Paramount & Universal to discontinue SD-DVD altogether and release all titles on HD DVD combo discs, and price it at (or very close to) the SD-DVD price?

Also important is to educate the general SD-DVD customer about this unique format allows them "future-proofing" for no additional cost. Once a small title library is built up (and player prices erode further), picking up a cheap HD DVD would be a no-brainer.

Of course, the big issue with this is production costs, but I would think there would be savings by consolidating your products into one format, and perhaps Toshiba/Microsoft/etc can work out some sort of funding support for x number of months to help make this happen.

A secondary concern from the studios POV is that they would be sacrificing their current double-dipping ability for SD/HD, but the PR upside of free HD would be a pretty powerful selling feature, IMHO. If HD DVD regains foothold in the market and player prices get below $100 as regular price, they could then drop the combo format and going HD exclusive since the entry price would be minimal by then. Even if you don't have an HDTV, HD players will still output to an SDTV, right?

Thoughts?

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-01-10, 02:05 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyad View Post
Keeping any piece of equipment (which you can return) that has a likely chance of being obsolete in the near future is a bad decision and a waste of money.
Technically it's a waste of money to buy a BD player too.

Nice attempt at minimizing the cost difference BTW. Totally glossed over the fact it's at least $300 from an upconverter to a BD player.

Last edited by oilblue; 2008-01-10 at 02:18 PM. Reason: New page, so added quote.
post #48 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-01-10, 02:06 PM
Veteran

A nice idea, but when you consider the shear number of DVDs sold compared to HD DVDs, I doubt there are enough pressing plants to makes millions of these combos.

I love HD DVD as much as most of the format's supporters, but this battle is done. It's time now to focus on trying to make BD mainstream with the public at large.
post #49 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-01-10, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Keeping any piece of equipment (which you can return) that has a likely chance of being obsolete in the near future is a bad decision and a waste of money.
And if you can convince enough suckers to do this then I'll be able to pick up all their leftover HD discs at incredibly low prices. Even owning 10 movies in HD-DVD you'll still be able to watch them. It's getting tiresome listening to this "quick return it now, don't waste your time" attitude. Even by the time HD-DVD will cease production there will most likely be over 1000 titles available, and probably at low prices, why not hang onto the machine and buy those titles. Re-buying them on another format (especially when you'd have to wait awhile for the BD releases) is the waste of money, not keeping the HD player.

LG 55LH90, Panasonic SA-XR50, Toshiba HD-A2, Athena Micra 6, Harmony 880, Nintendo Wii, PS3, Boxee via MacBook
post #50 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-01-10, 02:16 PM
Veteran

ksargent: Great idea. I think someone else floated the "all DVDs as Combo Format", but I can't remember where / when. Makes a lot of sense from the perspective that P/DW and U DVDs will vastly outsell any HDM format. The issue is cost (production and licensing). Maybe Toshiba would have to take a hit on the licensing/royalties aspect (sort of a rebate to the studios). While I'd welcome such value in a movie purchase, I'd be very surprised to see this. Course I've been surprised recently anyway, so I'm not really one to go by...
post #51 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-01-10, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Nice attempt at minimizing the cost difference BTW. Totally glossed over the fact it's at least $300 from an upconverter to a BD player
No I wasn't trying to minimize the cost difference. The issue here isn't the difference between a cheap upconverting DVD player and a Blu-Ray player, it's the difference between keeping his HD DVD player or returning it and using the money towards a Blu-Ray player.
post #52 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-01-10, 02:25 PM
Veteran

The "issue" isn't a single choice. There are other options, such as returning it buy an upconverter. Another is returning to stay on the sidelines for a while. The studios would love to have us jumping directly from one format to the other simply because they "clarified" the situation. That doesn't mean it makes sense for us.
post #53 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-01-10, 02:28 PM

Quote:
And if you can convince enough suckers to do this then I'll be able to pick up all their leftover HD discs at incredibly low prices. Even owning 10 movies in HD-DVD you'll still be able to watch them. It's getting tiresome listening to this "quick return it now, don't waste your time" attitude. Even by the time HD-DVD will cease production there will most likely be over 1000 titles available, and probably at low prices, why not hang onto the machine and buy those titles. Re-buying them on another format (especially when you'd have to wait awhile for the BD releases) is the waste of money, not keeping the HD player.
Sorry, but I fail to see the positive in keeping a player that will likely be obsolete soon.

I don't know where you're getting this 1000 movies available number, and even ignoring the fact that there will NOT be 1000 movies any individual out there would like to own available on HD DVD.

The bottom line is that most movies will be available on Blu-Ray, and the people who can return their HD DVD units for a full refund right now are at a decision-making point and have the luxury that the other the HD DVD early adopters don't have (the luxury of returning for a full refund).

Maybe it's getting tiresome for you to hear the logic behind it, but I can also assure you that it's getting tiresome to hear HD DVD supporters refuse to acknowledge that the sky is indeed falling and they're encouraging people who have a choice of opting out of the format at this stage to not do it and stic with it. IMO that is very bad advice. At the very LEAST, people who can still return their HD DVD players should be told to return it and wait (even if they don't replace it with a Blu-Ray player).
post #54 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-01-10, 02:38 PM

Anyone who has purchased in the past 30 days probably has a small investment in software. So if they can return it, then why not? They could try and sell their titles and walk away will a small loss.

You can always get back in to HD-DVD in a few month if something miraculous happens, but you won't be able to return you hardware a month from now.
post #55 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-01-10, 02:43 PM

Exactly!

Why keep it when you can return it? You can always buy it again later, and if you're really hungry for high-def right now, then you can go with Blu-Ray for a small premium.

The only recent purchasers who should be considering keeping their HD DVD player are the ones either with a big library already, or the ones that got the Boxing Day deal for $100.
post #56 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-01-10, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but I fail to see the positive in keeping a player that will likely be obsolete soon.

I don't know where you're getting this 1000 movies available number, and even ignoring the fact that there will NOT be 1000 movies any individual out there would like to own available on HD DVD.

The bottom line is that most movies will be available on Blu-Ray, and the people who can return their HD DVD units for a full refund right now are at a decision-making point and have the luxury that the other the HD DVD early adopters don't have (the luxury of returning for a full refund).

Maybe it's getting tiresome for you to hear the logic behind it, but I can also assure you that it's getting tiresome to hear HD DVD supporters refuse to acknowledge that the sky is indeed falling and they're encouraging people who have a choice of opting out of the format at this stage to not do it and stic with it. IMO that is very bad advice. At the very LEAST, people who can still return their HD DVD players should be told to return it and wait (even if they don't replace it with a Blu-Ray player).
Quote:

Your argument is flawed.

Most consumers that have purchased an HD-DVD player in the last 2 months have done so for the following 3 reasons (myself included).

1. Price
2. Price
3. Price

I purchased the $99 HD-D3 from FS this past boxing day solely because that is the entry point that is welcoming to the majority of HD electronics equipment. The player came with 2 FREE movies. I have purchased 2 more (Batman Begins and Superman Returns both @ 18.83 each), I also have 5 additional movies on the way (plus a 10.00 shipping charge).

Total cost thus far = 146.66 not including taxes... less than half the price of the next relativley affordable BD player.

For me, getting into the HD market was cheap. HD DVD's demise is not going to happen overnight. At the end of the day when BD is on the mainstream of all, I still have a player that can play an upconvert my regular DVD's and still enjoy the HD discs I already own, as seeing one should only intend to purchased discs that they intend to watch again and again.

By the time I'm ready to purchase a BD player, it'll probably $99 as well.
post #57 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-01-10, 03:23 PM

I hate to return things to be honest. I'm in business and I would hate to have people take advantage of me.
But.....................

I spend alot of money at futureshop and If I return, I would surely purchase something of higher value.
post #58 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-01-10, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Your argument is flawed.

Most consumers that have purchased an HD-DVD player in the last 2 months have done so for the following 3 reasons (myself included).

1. Price
2. Price
3. Price

I purchased the $99 HD-D3 from FS this past boxing day solely because that is the entry point that is welcoming to the majority of HD electronics equipment. The player came with 2 FREE movies. I have purchased 2 more (Batman Begins and Superman Returns both @ 18.83 each), I also have 5 additional movies on the way (plus a 10.00 shipping charge).

Total cost thus far = 146.66 not including taxes... less than half the price of the next relativley affordable BD player.
No it's not flawed. If you read the post I made just above yours, you proved my point: The only people who it might be worth it for to keep the HD DVD palyer are the ones who got it for $100 on Boxing Day.
post #59 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-01-10, 03:56 PM

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hate to return things to be honest. I'm in business and I would hate to have people take advantage of me.
But.....................

I spend alot of money at futureshop and If I return, I would surely purchase something of higher value.
You're not taking advantage of anyone. People who return TV's to Costco after 6 months are taking advantage for the system. You on the other hand are simply making a return within a reasonable return period for a valid reason.

Obviously the final decision is yours... I just gave my advice, especially since your HD DVD player didn't only cost you $100.
post #60 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-01-10, 04:15 PM

259 + taxes.

The only problem is there is nothing at futureshop I want. I dont want a BlueRay (I have PS3).

I think It might go towards a evga 8800GT 512 MB.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.