Is it possible that we do not need BLURAY and HDDVD? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-10-15, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Is it possible that we do not need BLURAY and HDDVD?

OK, So I download a DVD in AVI format, its around 700-800megs, a DVDr can hold 4.7megs, so if we compress a HDmovie to say 4 times a regular DVD, say 3.2gigs, then why not do that, burn it to a DVD-r and pop it into an upconverting regular DVD player? I mean, the player is upconverting to 1080 anyway, the content will be there in the avi file. My only unknown is, can the new upconverting players decode content which has 720 lines of content. I mean, they were designed to read DVD's only and they have only 525lines of data or so.

I was thinking about this the other day, is it possible to get HDtv through a regular DVD. What if you spaned a HDDVD over like 5 regular dvd's with the same exact quailty and played it on an upconverting player, would it look HD? or would it have to be downsampled to 525lines of resolution before a regular dvd player could read it?

Has anybody ever experimented with this? Interesting if it could be done, it would elliminate the whole format war with one massive technical A-Bomb!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-10-15, 10:28 AM
Member #1

Upconverting compressed video (or upconverting in general) is NOT the same as the real deal.

Just spend some time watching Blu-ray and HD DVD discs on a good output device and then try and tell me they are the same!

Lots of threads discussing this around here if you're interested.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-10-15, 11:05 AM

^^ Yes, it will be the same.... if it is on a 15" TV and sit 10 ft away!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-10-15, 11:20 AM

Yeah once you watch something HD you can't go back... people will use this argument until they experience it
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-10-15, 11:47 AM

1080 true HD...will ruin you forever....if you have a large flat screen and have seen true HD just like hc666 says...you cant go back.

BTW its not the movies that are worth watching in hd....its all about the live sports!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-10-15, 01:29 PM

No it is about the movies, the TV shows, the live sports, the concerts, etc., etc.

It's about everything being so much better.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-10-15, 01:47 PM

To answer your question you cannot feed HD (ie HD versions of: WMV, MPEG2, H.264, XVID etc) into an upscaling DVD player and get it to output HD. At least not yet. A few machines exist that can do this but I believe they are closer to mini-HTPCs than DVD players.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.