The Format War is very stressful....... - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 2007-02-13, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

The Format War is very stressful.......

It's amazing on how hard it is to decide both are very powerful, I want to futureproof myself and don't know where and how. I just purchased a Ps3 and keep thinking about universal movies like scarface being exclusive to HD DVD also the prices are better and the name has a better ring for people that don't look at the details and just buy anything. Unless you have a PS3 its hard not to go HD dvd. In my situation I'd like an upconverter as well but the thought of a bigger disk and more data seems like the smart choice.

Anyone else want to vent about this format war.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 2007-02-13, 02:44 PM

My answer is to not fuel the competition with my money as it will only postpone the inevitable. When the industry works it out I'll buy - not before.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 2007-02-13, 03:13 PM

I decided to avoid the format war altogether, and instead I just purchased a Denon DVD-2930CI DVD Player. Absolutely stunning DVD quality for my existing collection. This player will be with me for many, many years to come, at which point I'll purchase a combo player or the eventual winner of this silly war.
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 2007-02-13, 03:28 PM
Veteran

Ya, don't bet on anything yet. I'm frustrated at the pace of things, mainly due to the competing formats. No one wants to commit to anything until their sure.

-Mike

Pioneer PRO-110FD | Pioneer VSX-92TXH | BELL 9242 | Panasonic DMP-BD35 | XBOX 360 |WD TV Live Hub
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 2007-02-13, 04:29 PM

I hear you guys,
Lucky for me, my HD DVD (A2) cost me absolutely $0.00 , in fact I made $ 120.00 after all was said and done! That is the only reason I decided to go with a Hi Def format.
If it eventually goes the way of BD than I will just keep this player, put it in the master bedroom as a great up-converter. I will probaby buy really good dual format in a couple of years if both formats are still around!

Cheers

paul

Pioneer Kuro 60", Integra DHC 80.3, Parasound Halo A51, Oppo 93, ELAC FS247's, Velodyne SPLR1000.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 2007-02-13, 05:21 PM
Veteran

THe way I see it, you don't have to make a decision, but at the same time, there is no reason to not buy HD content that is compatible with the player you have. Assuming you are keeping the PS3 for its potential gaming, no reason you cannot enjoy blu-ray movies right now. Even should you decide on an HD DVD player at some other junction, that doesn't require you to reget your blu-ray content in HD DVD. Go out and enjoy some HiDef movies since you already have a player in your home.

Calvin
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 2007-02-13, 06:12 PM
Veteran

Well, I look at it this way:

For $200 I was able to purchase the 360 HD DVD addon. If that hadn't come out, I wouldn't be jumping into HD disks at all. Should HD DVD go the way of Beta, it's not like my drive will cease up and the disks expload. AND by that time BD player should be much more affordable.

So no stress here, just the enjoyment of HD content on my Panny plasma.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 2007-02-13, 09:05 PM

That's exactly how I feel.

Regards
Darko
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 2007-02-13, 09:14 PM

i bought a tosh HD A2

I have 1 movie and havent even watched it. DVDs are fine with me for now. Who wants to buy a barely used Toshiba HDA2??

I also have a ps3. I find blue ray picture quality better but meh either way.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 2007-02-13, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroittigers
DVDs are fine with me for now.
That is what I think will be the biggest hinderance to the widespread acceptance of HD in the eyes of John Q Public.

Regards
Darko
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 2007-02-13, 10:30 PM

I agree. I bought the Samsung DVD recorder/upconverter and the picture is great. Even on my FP 100" screen.

I'm sure it could look better with HiDef, but considering rentals, cost of players, cost of hidef DVDs etc... I'll stick with SD format for awhile. I have NO doubt in a couple of years you'll pick up a player for $100.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 2007-02-13, 10:35 PM

I went HD DVD cuz my 360 could play it for only 200 bucks. Real combo players will go mainstream it's only a matter of time. When true machines and not a half assed one like LG tried to pawn off as a combo player come out then I'll buy BD exclusive titles to play on a new combo player.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 2007-02-13, 11:38 PM

Im not joe Q public - i have a $30,000 TH System. All I'm saying is a high quality even non upconverting dvd player using good quality cables is great. HDDVD and Blueray is not the jump HD Television is.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 2007-02-13, 11:46 PM

What is stressful is a lack of quality releases from both camps.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 2007-02-14, 12:35 AM

Hellllllllo both camps we are all waiting for more afordable players, and more content. My lean is that HD DVD camp to win (alas I hate Sony), but I thought last week as I going to enter the war, but have backed off.

So many of us are waiting...........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.