Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

What are you watching on Blu-ray? (and discussion of said titles)

Tags
blu-ray
375K views 2K replies 240 participants last post by  eljay 
#1 ·
I now have had the good fortune of watching two complete movies on Blu-ray and what a joy it has been.

The first was Ice Age 2 which I watched on a review 720p front projector, 100" screen and the PS3. Stunning to watch. Cute movie the kids really enjoyed.

Last night, I watched the Italian Job on a a review 1080p front projector and the PS3. I have never seen the movie and really quite enjoyed it. As far as picture quality goes, it was jaw dropping. Contrast was great, details were great, picture quality was great. Simply the sweetest picture!

#2 ·
What, you haven't watched Talladega Nights yet? ;)

So far, I picked up Ice Age 2, The Omen, Lady in the Water, Superman Returns and WTC... I only had time to watch Ice Age 2, the Omen and WTC.

The visuals in Ice Age 2 are just phenomenal and I only have an old 57" CRT RPT at 1080i... In the Omen, the picture is pretty good as well and the sound just blew me away. I never though lossless could make a noticeable difference but everything just sounded so good (the movie itself is not that good though). WTC is superb as well. The Video is better than in the Omen to my eyes. The sound is excellent as well.

I plan on watching the rest over the week-end.

#7 ·
talledega nights came with my ps3. first blu-ray i watched. nothing spectacular pq-wise, but... c'mon! SOOO funny. hillarious.
not a very good movie, honestly... but i haven't laughed that hard in ages.

i also own syriana, and the big hit. i own more hd-dvds, i think because the nearest stores with bd/hd titles have about 75% hd-dvd.

#3 ·
Talladega Nights is horrible. Just horrible.

I've seen Talladega Nights, Tears of the Sun, Swat, The Great Raid.

Of the 4, Tears of the Sun was very good and most of it is filmed in the jungle. The normal daytime shots were kind of soft.

The other 2 were good.

Ice Age and "Pearl" are cued up for the weekend.

#5 ·
Stay on topic please!

I was going to try talledega nights (strictly to see a blu-ray movie) but fortunately I was able to rent Italian Job

#9 ·
These are my favorites picks (top to bottom):
The_League_of_Extraordinary Gentlemen: the best by far sound + PQ
Gone_in_60_Seconds
The_Transporter
The_Transporter_2
X-Men_3:_The_Last_Stand
Superman_Returns
Into_the_Blue
Pearl_Harbor 2001 :battle PQ great
Black_Hawk_Down : PCM sound outstanding
Kiss_of_the_Dragon
Eau_Trouble/Dark_Water
The_Omen
All_the_King's_Men
Talladega_Nights:_The_Ballad_of_Ricky_Bobby (PS3 version)

#10 ·
My favorites so far (in no particular order):

Mission Impossible 3
Ice Age 2
X-men 3
The Wild (so so film, but amazing PQ)
Pearl Harbor (eye candy of various sorts)
Black Hawk Down (!)

... And the list of coming titles starting to be leaked is sounding very expensive. :)

Gary

#11 ·
....just bought a ps3-60 and Invincible, Transporter, FMJ and Lord of War as first titles....a lot of titles were picked through where we looked.

#13 ·
So far I have watched the following BD Movies:

Mission Impossible - Ultimate Missions Collection (MPEG, 25 GB)
X-Men: The Last Stand (AVC, 25 GB)
Ice Age: The Meltdown (MPEG, 25 GB)

I found that X-Men had the best picture quality, and I noticed some strange, barely visible distortion lines on Ice age, but that may have been due to my Panasonic BD Player not being set to HDMI Video mode.

#14 ·
BD Availability...

After reading some of your posts I went over to FS today to pick up X-Men 3 and lo and behold they were sold out... the guy told they should get some next week, that they have been selling a lot of BD discs lately. Maybe Sony's strategy is actually working...

#19 ·
I have both Unforgiven and The Descent on the way from Amazon. I loved Unforgiven and I have never watched The Descent, but more than one of my friends claims it is an awesome flick, so I am having a movie night in my home theatre next weekend to watch it (I have a PS3 60gb).

Cal

#24 ·
I just watched Ice Age Meltdown on the PS/3 and a 720p projector and it was stunning. (I love unpacking these amazon boxes). Had some good laughs watching the 'extras' after the movie - the time travel piece for Skrat was brilliant. And I also loved the Simpons movie 'preview', though the PQ was a bit sub-par for the HD experience :)

This was a movie they should have packed with the PS/3 shipments to show what it can do. I may yet be using the Talladega movie for a shiny drink coaster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.