Favorite Concert DVDs? - Page 13 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #181 of 304 (permalink) Old 2005-12-13, 03:30 PM

Metallica

I've looked for concert DVD's for Metallica and noticed that they are very expensive (one was 59.99). Are there are any good DVD's for a reasonable price ($20 range).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 304 (permalink) Old 2005-12-14, 08:05 AM

Noonie...if you can afford it you won't be dissapointed with the S&M DVD. I was very weary of spending cash on that dvd when it came out. I am very pleased with the sound and production of this DVD. It is by far one of the best in my collection and I am a big metallica fan. Look around u can usually find it cheaper.

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASI...634051-7984854
post #183 of 304 (permalink) Old 2005-12-14, 08:44 AM
Veteran

Poolsharrk, is the S%M video in widescreen?
Concert videos, typicaly aren't for some reason, and I can't seem to find out if it is.
post #184 of 304 (permalink) Old 2005-12-14, 11:35 PM

It's not widescreen, but well worth the purchase. Go, now, get it!!!

That's one of my fav's (Metallica S&M), here are some others...

Peter Gabriel...Growing Up Live...Sky Blue is INCREDIBLE in 5.1
Fleetwood Mac...The Dance...nuf said
Ozzy Osbourne...Live at the Budokahn (sp??) What can I say, I'm a rocker!!!
post #185 of 304 (permalink) Old 2005-12-15, 12:06 AM

Best Concert Video

Either Coldplay Rush of Blood to the Head or Kylie Fever 2002
post #186 of 304 (permalink) Old 2005-12-19, 08:55 AM

Picked up Radiohead DVD this weekend. I really liek them and it is difficult to find a concert dvd of them anywhere. It was shot in 1994 so its when the band was more or less at their peak. Some great songs on there. No 5.1 and the lighting is pretty crazy but a good purchase in my opinion.
post #187 of 304 (permalink) Old 2005-12-19, 09:50 AM

Not too many classical fans here so I’ll give it a try:

Claudio Abbado, Berlin Philharmonic, Beethoven symphonies 2 & 5, DD&DTS 5.1.

Nikolaus Harnoncourt, News Years Concert 2003, Vienna Philharmonic, DD&DTS 5.0, a real hoot if you like good time Strauss.

Anne-Sophie Mutter, A Life with Beethoven, 2 channel but it’s only violin and piano, and Anne-Sophie is one fine babe.

Pop etc.:
Moody Blues, A Night at Red Rocks, 2 channel but a beautiful outdoor setting and the boys are in fine form.

Crosby, Stills & Nash, Daylight Again, DD5.1, electric and ass kick’n.

Simon and Garfunkel, Old Friends, DD5.1, EXCELLENT if you grew up in the 60s you want this it’s ‘far out man’.
post #188 of 304 (permalink) Old 2005-12-21, 08:39 AM

Cool Concert Favs

I found that U2: Live in Boston was a great DVD to watch along with RUSH: Live in Rio. If they ever get U2: Live in Sydney on DVD, that would be great, but I don't know how great the video would be.

I found U2: Live in Chicago weak on the video side. I didn't find it as clear as it should be for a dvd. Maybe it was just me, but this was on a DLP and CRT tv. I thought it was my dvd player too, so I tried it on an upconverting Toshiba HDMI player. No good. I saw that the background was 'pixely' on both CRT and DLP.

Sal....
post #189 of 304 (permalink) Old 2005-12-21, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salc75
I found that U2: Live in Boston was a great DVD to watch along with RUSH: Live in Rio. If they ever get U2: Live in Sydney on DVD, that would be great, but I don't know how great the video would be.

I found U2: Live in Chicago weak on the video side. I didn't find it as clear as it should be for a dvd. Maybe it was just me, but this was on a DLP and CRT tv. I thought it was my dvd player too, so I tried it on an upconverting Toshiba HDMI player. No good. I saw that the background was 'pixely' on both CRT and DLP.

Sal....
I found the U2 Boston & Slane concerts (Elevation tour) better than the Vertigo tour. I don't mind the Chicago DVD. The Milan DVD (next year) will be better.
post #190 of 304 (permalink) Old 2005-12-21, 05:24 PM

Location: Mississauga, Panasonic TH42PX50; Rogers 8300HD PVR; Panasonic S42 DVD; JVC 6010 Receiver
The best DVD I've seen in a long time is the Cream reunion concert at Royal Albert Hall earlier this year. Fabulous camera work (very little jumping around) and the sound is awesome. I've seen Clapton live a few times and have never seen him play at this level. Well worth the money.
Another entertaining one that I picked up for less than $16 was the Queen with Paul Rogers DVD.
post #191 of 304 (permalink) Old 2005-12-29, 06:43 PM
Veteran

Just watched the Cream Reunion at the Royal Albert Hall this afternoon. Wow. I predict this will become a reference DVD for demonstrating home theatre. Excellent PQ, excellent DTS sound track. Vocals are pure and powerful and I can't say enough about Baker, Bruce and Clapton. All are hall of famers and they show it! They put on a show!
post #192 of 304 (permalink) Old 2005-12-29, 07:11 PM

Yup, PBS-HD ran the Cream Reunion concert as part of Great Performances a couple of weeks ago.

Outstanding picture quality and audio !

Agreed on it's potential for demo disc material.

1) 57HX 84C, SA8300-HD, Pioneer Elite DVR-65H-S, Pioneer Elite BDP-33FD 2) 32LV67u, 4250 HD
post #193 of 304 (permalink) Old 2005-12-29, 10:58 PM

And to remain true to the thread, Bob Marley Live at the Rainbow is truly enjoyable.

1) 57HX 84C, SA8300-HD, Pioneer Elite DVR-65H-S, Pioneer Elite BDP-33FD 2) 32LV67u, 4250 HD
post #194 of 304 (permalink) Old 2006-01-01, 10:47 AM

Where do you fin

[QUOTE=takefive]Not too many classical fans here so Iíll give it a try:

Claudio Abbado, Berlin Philharmonic, Beethoven symphonies 2 & 5, DD&DTS 5.1.

Nikolaus Harnoncourt, News Years Concert 2003, Vienna Philharmonic, DD&DTS 5.0, a real hoot if you like good time Strauss.

Anne-Sophie Mutter, A Life with Beethoven, 2 channel but itís only violin and piano, and Anne-Sophie is one fine babe.

Internet shopping aside, I have a real hard time finding clasical music concerts on DVD. Where do you find them?
post #195 of 304 (permalink) Old 2006-01-01, 11:26 AM

Hi Andyman; well I live in Ottawa which is to say the moon. So I do most of my concert DVD shopping in Toronto at the HMV flagship store on Yonge near Dundas (might look into a bullet proof vest before my next visit though). They seem to have an excellent selection there and the staff are knowledgable.

And don't forget today on PBS, The annual Vienna Philharmonic News Years Day concert. In Ottawa it comes on at 8pm on WPBS (Watertown NY). Other PBS stations may broadcast at different times.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.